Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Radio Crew Headset Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Radio Crew Headset Recommendation?

I need a new crew headset for a 2nd handheld freed up now that I have a hard wired unit in the car. The Racing Electronics headset I have is excellent with noise reduction etc., but it is not all that comfortable around the ears.

Are there any other brands/models that have been tested by you guys with good results across all fronts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dunno, but give me a good price and I'll buy that RE headset.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
magnetic1
Racer

These feel fine for me...

http://www.racecommunications.com/ca...dWay-Headsets/
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have had good success with our 4 new Racing Radio headsets, very comfortable and crystal clear. They are in Georgia.

Wonger, nice race dude. I heard you came in a little heavy at the end of Sunday's race.

See you at Nationals.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pablo, stop by our trailer next week ad you can try on a few of ours. we have some racing communication units. we're a dealer and could hook u up if you liked them. we also have a few speedcom units which have 4 channels which is nice if you're dealing wiht 2 or more cars.

personally, i find all those units get hammered. stuffed away, rained on, dropped, and i tend to gravitate towards the ones that are good quality but affordable.

stop by next week, ask for Tiv and he can chat it up. he's actual hard user of them for the last 15 years. r u going to use it, or is it for your crew?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by disasterman

Wonger, nice race dude. I heard you came in a little heavy at the end of Sunday's race.

See you at Nationals.
HA! Other way around. Im claiming the scales were off. Being 70# off from the day before w/ same initial setup just aint right. Came home and brought car to shop where it was 50+ # above the impound scale. Ah well... I hope they use the scales in the maintenance shed for Nats!

Wish Pablo could make nationals...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... Steve, I'll shoot you guys an email in a few. My real issue now is that I will need either adapters or a new car harness for the hard wired Motorola PM400 I am installing to replace the CP200 Handheld Type I was using before. Now the 2 pin connector does not work for the PM400 as it needs some sort of RJ11 looking connector. Also the antena adapter goes from the CP200 quarter turn quick disconnect coupler to the screw-in type....

Yo Wonger! Outside of focusing on PCA CR, I have been almost biting a little more than I can chew on the work side and spare time has been almost non existent. In fact, I'll be in Kauai at a project during Nationals... Maybe 2013...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pablo,

Racing radios can hook you up with everything you need. I had them convert 5 Motorola PM 400's and pre-program the. I also purchased the harnesses and headsets. Our group can share spotting help when we race on the same weekends. We can also give each other a hard time when on track together.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by disasterman
Pablo,

Racing radios can hook you up with everything you need. I had them convert 5 Motorola PM 400's and pre-program the. I also purchased the harnesses and headsets. Our group can share spotting help when we race on the same weekends. We can also give each other a hard time when on track together.
Couple of things:
we stock the Racing Communications harnesses, high quality 2 person intercom, ear piece , headset and other comm equipment.

the hardwire motorolas can connect with the RJ 11 in the rear or a a multipin connector in the rear. its also important to tie the harness type into the amplification of the base unit. we've seen situations where sounds comes thru garbled or too quietly because of the type of connector. nice thing, is that motorola unit is entirely programmable so you can tweak its amplification settings if stuff isnt right.

the harnesses arent too expensive and im sure you'll love the base units. they usually transmit with more watts and give you better range and clarity. plus, no aggravation from failing to charge them.

if you need help, just call Tiv or email him tiv@zsamotorsport.com
he knows this stuff A to Z.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default bump

I am not trying to hijack this post but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the motorola headsets??

I am really struggling on buying racing radios, racing electronics, or motorola headsets??

Any advice would be great.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve sold me a pair of earphones that go in the helmet last year and they're great.
Forget about earplugs; totally obsolete at this stage.
and one less plug to worry about.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gums
Steve sold me a pair of earphones that go in the helmet last year and they're great.
Forget about earplugs; totally obsolete at this stage.
and one less plug to worry about.
Glad you like them. We've sold a bunch of them. Very nice, great audio quality and real soft gel surrounds to lock out the external noise. I find i can concentrate better when 106 dbs of blaring cars nose to tail at the start or a restart is just reduced a smidge. trust me, you can hear the cars plenty but it just takes that harsh edge off things. that much noise can give you fatigue for sure.

and they are comfy.

we sell two models, one which is kind of pricey but super comfy and the highest quality sound speakers. and then a lesser priced unit without the gel surround and good middle quality sound clarity. both are excellent.

call if you have any questions.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They' re also great because they remain plugged in to the helmet and you don't have to deal with it
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stujelly
I am not trying to hijack this post but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the motorola headsets??

I am really struggling on buying racing radios, racing electronics, or motorola headsets??

Any advice would be great.
I posted in a different thread. I have both Racing Radios and Motorola BDN6648C headsets. Most prefer the Motorola, I'm usually in the car. When I'm not, either work, but I find the Motorola is more comfortable (ears aren't complaining after a few hours), and has slightly better noise cancelling, but both are reasonable.

I rarely use the PTT option switch on the Motorolas (can be normal Push To Talk mode, or voice activated), I have a big yellow label and arrow, when someone has a stuck mike it's because they've accidentially hit the PTT switch on the Motorolas to the wrong setting. So an upside if you want voice activated (not great for pit to crew, but fine if you're say using them on weekends for mountain biking or something), downside if you know you don't and don't want one more thing that can go wrong. If crew in pits it's easy to sort out, if a novice fan in the bleachers, not always so easy :-)

Quick Reply: Racing Radio Crew Headset Recommendation?