Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aim Solo accelerometer readings??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aim Solo accelerometer readings??

I just bought the Solo and had a trackday. I calibrated it while it was installed in my car. Everything else looks to be in order, lap times are pretty accurate, within 0,2 sec compared to official timing at the track.
It's just that I can't find accelerometer readings from my downloaded data. I have GPS lat and long G's displayed though. Correct me if I am wrong but there should be G's from the accelerometer as well?? Maybe the unit I got is faulty?

Please advice..
Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

when you open data in the RS2Analysis - in the measures tab, #3 and #4 items from the top should be 'Longitudinal_a' and 'Lateral_acc'. those are channels from internal gyroscopes.

Last edited by utkinpol; 08-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Do you have a Solo or a Solo DL? AiM took the actual accelerometer measurements out of the regular Solo data in the firmware updates. I've been told that it will be added back, but haven't seen it yet.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:25 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
AiM took the actual accelerometer measurements out of the regular Solo data in the firmware updates.
I stopped updating mine and locked it on a last maintenance version prior to one that got AiM logo at startup. IMHO it is a most stable one and works fine so far. Those service screens in DL are extremely useful, well, as long as they do not make you mistake track exit for an entrance . This sh$t will probably haunt me forever now...
But overall an ability to see a lot of data channels like steering angle, temperatures, oil pressure etc is exteremly useful for maintenance, I no longer need to use durametric for all that. In most recent version of firmware all that stuff got reworked in a very odd way where I could not even get those screens configured.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Do you have a Solo or a Solo DL? AiM took the actual accelerometer measurements out of the regular Solo data in the firmware updates. I've been told that it will be added back, but haven't seen it yet.
True. No accelerometer data in the Solo right now. Just GPS derived g's.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Thanks for your replies. So no actual G's then but the GPS based stuff only. Well it's nice false marketing by Aim then.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 AM
JarmoL
Racer

I need further help. I 've read the Aim user manual for rs2 and can't find the answer.

My problem:
-when comparing two laps (speed trace for example) the laps are not aligned properly. What I mean is the lowest/fastest speeds vs distance are not aligned properly on the graph.

The cursor says I am at the 1500m from the start where there is a hairnpin corner. At this point reference lap speed might be 57 kph and the "other" lap's speed is showing 70kph. (just arriving to said hairpin) If I then move the cursor further on the lap the other lap's speed dips to 57 kph as well but at this point the reference lap speed might be 70kph. (as I am accelerating out of the hairpin)

I hope someone understands what I mean. The difference is more pronounced when the difference in laptimes is bigger.(reference lap vs "other" lap)

I think it would make sense to show the speed exactly at given point on the track??

Last edited by JarmoL; 08-12-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Under GPS on the top menu, do you have "runs aligned" checked off?

Can you post a picture of the graphs your talking about?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
JarmoL
Racer

"Runs aligned" checked or not doesn't seem to make any difference. Here is a screenshot. Blue lap is the reference lap. I placed the cursor to the slowest hairpin. Distance from the start line is 1282.9 meters. If you now look at the slowest point of the "other" lap (green line) you can see it's further ahead. The distance from start line appears to be 1312.9 meters. Which of course is not possible as the corner is very slow and short hairpin.

So it seems to me that the graphs are plotted against the time driven from the start line and not the distance as I would like them. There is a button "time/distance" but all it does is change the readout at the bottom of the screen between meters and minutes/seconds.

Last edited by JarmoL; 07-16-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JarmoL
There is a button "time/distance" but all it does is change the readout at the bottom of the screen between meters and minutes/seconds.
not sure what is going on but under 'modify' menu there is 'time/distance mode' option and it for sure changes how screen looks.

go to AiM site, download most recent version of race studio - there is 2.47.0 already. install it.
then, if you go under 'map' and hit 'new' - does it create track map from test`s GPS data with no issues? or does it show there anything odd?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Just installed the latest version of the software. It's still the same..
Old 08-12-2012, 05:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

no idea then. is your gps_nsat between 10 and 14 and gps_posaccuracy between 2.4 and 3.4?
I am not sure, if you sure it 'drifts' with time meaning gps read inaccurate position - i am not sure how it can be possible. may be aim support will help.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

JarmoL, if you e-mail me a set of your data files, I'll take a look. I've had similar issues on occasion and would like to dig deeper.

My e-mail is jandsaustin1 at verizon.net

Quick Reply: Aim Solo accelerometer readings??