Lime Rock Park 997 InCar - Finally, a post about Racing and Driver's Education

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Lime Rock Park 997 InCar - Finally, a post about Racing and Driver's Education

For all of the selfish posts I've made promoting BGB products and BGB Motorsports racing that I have bored everyone with, I came across this old footage from 5 years ago and thought that I would actually appropriately post something in the "Racing and Driver's Education" forum.

This was during a Friday practice session before Monday's race which would become the most damaging race for our championship hunt that year. Given that the lap times are respectable by today's standards, it just goes to show you that if car and driver are in tune to the point where the car fits them like "a broken-in sneaker" AND you're the epitomy of chaos under control anything is possible.

While we were made fun of and ridiculed, it takes a rare breed of person to drive a 997 around Lime Rock Park with no sway bars attached. It was a P1 car that weekend and given our funky setup, we had something for them.

In 1 month we go back.

Enjoy...

P.S. You'll have to wait another 5 years to see Professor Empringham's 997.2 in-car videos. They are under lock and key for some time until 2017!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I remember that video, one of my favorites of all time! Incredible driving.

The car seems to lean INTO the turns... weird.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mike P.,

You watched it, learned it and then lived it. I'm pretty sure you went faster that next year in qualifying. You really do love LRP! I found the results. I was shocked to see all of those Porsches in the top-10 in qualifying. Hmmm...must be a Porsche track!

http://www.grand-am.com/scheduleResu...x?eid=22&sid=2

Out goes AnalogMan, in goes Derk Werner. We should have won this race! We did win this race, technically but not officially.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Go Emp!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

David Emprigham was my first teacher at the Spenard-David Racing School back in 1990, when I took my first racing school (FF2000). I was 17.

I don't remember much of what he said then, save this particular one, as he was not very happy about me:

"Don't ever pass the pace car again"

Well, the damn pace car was so slow... We were doing lead and follow to learn the line on the that very first day and, as a full of testosterone teenager, I had to go faster than that camaro pace car, "I am in a real race car" was my thinking then. So I passed it...

I remember coming out of the car...

c.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's been a real pleasure to watch this year. It's been a very long time since we have had this strong of a driver combination with this strong of a car. We have been very lucky. And Emp is pretty awesome at bringing it home race after race after race.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
mcongleton
Racer

First that is a great drive, the car is really leaning in the turns. Funny to see the familiar cars from 5 years ago, oh how things change.

Mark

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Park 997 InCar - Finally, a post about Racing and Driver's Education