Sponsored by:

Hoosier A series - safety question re: visual cracking on sidewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Hoosier A series - safety question re: visual cracking on sidewall

I just put on a set of 5 heat cycle A series from a friend who i race with in SCCA AV8SS. they show some visual crack that runs the entire circumference on the outersidewall. the tires look near new otherwise, light wear over all, and the outer sidewall and outer tread still has the mold form bumps.

I think i remember having a tire like this many years ago, and i was told that this part of the sidewall was more cosmetic.

has any one seen hoosiers As or Rs with this kind of flaw, or stress wear. its almost like came from the mounting of the tires, as you know the 315s 30s tend to distort a bit as they go on the rimi during mounting.

ill see if i can snap a picture.

thanks

Mark
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 790 Likes on 509 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it sounds like you're describing a tire that is coming apart.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes,

I had two racers I was working with last Friday using A6's and they had small cracks in the rubber around the tire. (both GT3s) This is away from the tread seam and more towards the middle of the side wall. They took pictures and sent them to Hoosier. Hoosier replied that this is normal and not a problem. If you see a crack form at the tread depth (more of a split), then that is over heating and is a problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have two that are doing this, mid time rubber, very small circumferal hairline crack, mid sidewall right through the textured part of the sidewall where it says hoosier, I was going to chuck them, guess I shouldn't be so hasty...
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume that you guys don't mean this? Sent picture to Canadian Hoosier distributor 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard back.
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Nope, that's not good, mines a Hairline crack through the middle of the sidewall right through "Hoosier" only the rears front looks fine...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, thanks.

Mancation guys were at Mosport when I saw this. They said that a whole bunch of guys had the same thing happen at Road America, or that that's where they had seen it; all cracked on the inside edge, and likely a batch issue.

We'll see what Hoosier says.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I had some that froze and cracked like that.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I assume that you guys don't mean this? Sent picture to Canadian Hoosier distributor 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard back.
uggg, no not that! that looks like a tire that will start to come apart.
Originally Posted by bobt993
Yes,

I had two racers I was working with last Friday using A6's and they had small cracks in the rubber around the tire. (both GT3s) This is away from the tread seam and more towards the middle of the side wall. They took pictures and sent them to Hoosier. Hoosier replied that this is normal and not a problem. If you see a crack form at the tread depth (more of a split), then that is over heating and is a problem.
Thanks bob! yes, thats my issue exactly. ill post a picture, but it is hairline, and faint, but its mid sidewall. otherwise the tires look new and i know the car that they were on.

thanks,

mark

Quick Reply: Hoosier A series - safety question re: visual cracking on sidewall