Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPOLIER!: ALMS-GT Race Right Now On ESPN3....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Recommend unBAN!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If the problem was at the junction of the air filter and the plenum then there would be a performance advantage. The RSR uses ITBs with a carbon fiber plenum topped with the filter. An air box sits on top of the plenum and the restrictor is at the opening on the air box. There is a joint between the air box and plenum and that is where a failure could occur as described.

That is such a bummer.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of the RSR engine in a Grand Am DP. The air box is different in the RSR but the plenum and air filter is the same. At the top of the plenum sits the air filter and then the air box sits on top of that. It looks like the joint was the failure point according to FL.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
wjfk32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info & Pic-As you are aware the setup on the 2012-RSR's Restrictor (mm)
adj +0.4 current 29.3 x 2

has 2 inlet openings at the rear-direct air charge to the engine.

I just find it odd, that FL are finally in contention and then this..... Don't know what to believe. Someone doesn't want them to win.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The stall test is standard test and has been around for ages. I remember the Fernandez LMP2 car lost a second place position at Sebring back in 2008 for the very same reason. They said their carbon fiber intake developed a crack during the race. The #45 Lizard car has been stall tested plenty of times before and they knew their car would be tested if it was on the podium so I doubt it was intentional cheating...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Pretty much what I was expecting, the reality of a leak like that would allow the car to idle but
at part to full throttle would be too small to provide any power benefit. I'd put money that if you put it on the dyno you would see no difference in output at all...

bummer
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Pretty much what I was expecting, the reality of a leak like that would allow the car to idle but
at part to full throttle would be too small to provide any power benefit. I'd put money that if you put it on the dyno you would see no difference in output at all...

bummer
I don't know if, during the test, the car remained idling or just ran longer than the rule allows so it is not possible to determine the extent of the seal failure from the information provided, but if the motor idled normally then the leak could represent a power benefit. I bet an RSR produces at least 15 horsepower at idle, and in a WOT vacuum condition the leak could flow significantly more air. Remember how small the restrictors are.

Quick Reply: SPOLIER!: ALMS-GT Race Right Now On ESPN3....