Sponsored by:

Moving to Florida: Questions about the racing scene

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Moving to Florida: Questions about the racing scene

Just learned that I am moving to Florida for a new job, based out of Delray Beach. A few questions as I begin to think about transitioning from a TX racer to a FL one:

What organizations run there and what classes are popular? I've looked at the PCA, NASA and HSR schedules already but not sure where the car counts are. Any other org I should be looking at?

Anyone a member of PBIR? Seems like the track time is minimal (at least compared to MSR-Cresson where I am a member) and there are no garages? Is membership worth it?

Assuming there is no storage at PBIR, where do people keep their race cars in the area? I will be house hunting between Deerfield Beach on the south end and W. Palm Beach on the north side.

Recommendations for a good Porshe shop in the area? Good Ferrari shop?

For my TX friends, I will be keeping the house at MSR and leaving one or two race cars there and one or two will move to FL. I'll probably fly to Dallas monthly to play at MSR and will probably still do a few races in the area.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to Brady at the 901 Shop, they are located in Stuart, Florida. They are a Porsche race shop, so he will be a good source of information wrt racing in Florida.

Good luck with your move.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

901 Shop is great.
PBOC and PCA are much bigger there. 48 Hours of Sebring is a must. I can't speak for NASA as never ran with them until I moved here. The SCCA groups are pretty big from what I remember. PBIR is fun but nothing like MSR Cresson.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

PBOC, by far my favorite group to race with

See you at Winterfest!

www.pbocflorida.com
Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No Chicken Fry down there!

You can stash a car up here with me anytime.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We will be down in Palm City for several week trips this winter. Would like to get some track time while there. Following thread!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Rob- sorry to hear you are leaving Texas, but glad to see that you'll still be around for some track time. Good luck with the new gig.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Just learned that I am moving to Florida for a new job, based out of Delray Beach. A few questions as I begin to think about transitioning from a TX racer to a FL one:

What organizations run there and what classes are popular? I've looked at the PCA, NASA and HSR schedules already but not sure where the car counts are. Any other org I should be looking at?

Anyone a member of PBIR? Seems like the track time is minimal (at least compared to MSR-Cresson where I am a member) and there are no garages? Is membership worth it?

Assuming there is no storage at PBIR, where do people keep their race cars in the area? I will be house hunting between Deerfield Beach on the south end and W. Palm Beach on the north side.

Recommendations for a good Porshe shop in the area? Good Ferrari shop?

For my TX friends, I will be keeping the house at MSR and leaving one or two race cars there and one or two will move to FL. I'll probably fly to Dallas monthly to play at MSR and will probably still do a few races in the area.
Well that sucks, hate to lose a Texas racer. Aren't you too young to move to Florida ?

On a positive note for you it should also open up visiting tracks like Barber, and Road Atlanta, not to mention the obvious Florida tracks.

And since you are keeping the house and cars in Texas we'll just consider you a Texan still, but one that is visiting Florida.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Call Marty at MGM in Pompano. http://www.mgmfl.com/

PBOC and NASA have great racing in FL. Biggest PCA race of the year at Sebring in early Feb. PBOC has a 5 day event in Jan at Sebring http://pbocflorida.com/. Easy drive to Homestead, PBIR, Daytona and Sebring. One day drive to Roebling road, Road Atlanta and Barber. Welcome to FL, you'll enjoy the tracks here.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Orbit Racing is in west Palm and they are great as well. You have PBIR, Sebring, Homstead, and then up I95 to Roebling Road in Savannah, ga, ect. You will have a nice selection of tracks and organizations to run with. Welcome!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Miami951S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to trackweekend.com for S Florida events.

Alot of events @ homestead & sebring, the extended season is a big plus too.

I take my 951S and E30 to Foreign Affairs Motorsports. http://www.foreignaffairsmotorsports.com/
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the land of the old people....

I live in Delray as well and run out of MGM in Pompano and have for about 5 years now. About 15 minute drive south on I-95. Marty is a GREAT guy. Call Marty (954-592-4284) or Chris Burson (954-673-0584). We're off to the IMSA race at Mosport this week but they will have their cell phones with them. They support PCA, PBOC, NASA, IMSA, etc, etc and have guys who do everything from DE to IMSA.

PM me and I'd be happy to give you all the info you need/want.

Best,

Peter
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,350 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Tim Stanford in Ft. Lauderdale for 355 Ferrari and older.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orbit Racing is a great option. Top notch service, facility, car transport and storage.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

We are a bit further north than Roger's shop. We are up in Daytona which is 2 hours north of you. Welcome to Florida! There's a lot of good racing here and a few Daytona events in the fall that you can attend. Look at what is towing distance from us:

Towing Time From South Florida:
Barber Motorsports Park: 13 hours
Road Atlanta: 9 hours
Roebling Road 5 hours
VIR: 12-13 Hours
Homestead Miami Speedway: 1.5 hours
Palm Beach International Raceway: 20 minutes (They have annual memberships for $7K that allow you to run under the lights every Wed. night from 5pm to 10pm about 1.5 dozen times per year. It's about the cost of two SCCA test days but it's good fun and great test time. A lot of teams are starting to test there and shake down).
Sebring International Raceway: 2 hours
Daytona International Speedway: 2 hours

And if you can deal with the heat, you can run 12 months per year. Oh yeah, you're from Texas. You're already sorted for the climate! Good luck and safe travels.

John

Quick Reply: Moving to Florida: Questions about the racing scene