Sponsored by:

Moving to Florida: Questions about the racing scene

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are a bit further north than Roger's shop. We are up in Daytona which is 2 hours north of you. Welcome to Florida! There's a lot of good racing here and a few Daytona events in the fall that you can attend. Look at what is towing distance from us:

Towing Time From South Florida:
Barber Motorsports Park: 13 hours
Road Atlanta: 9 hours
Roebling Road 5 hours
VIR: 12-13 Hours
Homestead Miami Speedway: 1.5 hours
Palm Beach International Raceway: 20 minutes (They have annual memberships for $7K that allow you to run under the lights every Wed. night from 5pm to 10pm about 1.5 dozen times per year. It's about the cost of two SCCA test days but it's good fun and great test time. A lot of teams are starting to test there and shake down).
Sebring International Raceway: 2 hours
Daytona International Speedway: 2 hours

And if you can deal with the heat, you can run 12 months per year. Oh yeah, you're from Texas. You're already sorted for the climate! Good luck and safe travels.

John
Good info John!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Great tips everyone, thank you! I had no idea about PBOC, looks like a good option, though their classifications rules seem a bit complicated at first glance. I love the simplicity of NASA GTS.

The remainder of 2012 will be tough for me given the hassles of relocation and start of the new gig, but I will certainly kick it into high gear in time for Winter Fest in January.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You need help driving any of those cars over to Florida?
I got dibs on the 575. You can drive the big yellow bus. LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Great tips everyone, thank you! I had no idea about PBOC, looks like a good option, though their classifications rules seem a bit complicated at first glance. I love the simplicity of NASA GTS.

The remainder of 2012 will be tough for me given the hassles of relocation and start of the new gig, but I will certainly kick it into high gear in time for Winter Fest in January.
Welcome! Lots of tracks and lots of groups to run with so it's easy to get your fix.

PBIR is ok to run from time to time and for testing but even with it's proximity you'll likely prefer to make the drive to Sebring, Daytona and/or Homestead. Roebling Road is a straight shot up I-95 and Road ATL isn't much further.

PBOC runs a good event, especially Winterfest, but there typically aren't more than a couple cars in each class so you'll likely find better racing elsewhere.

I've heard nothing but good things about Orbit and MSM so you should have good local support.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
schao
Intermediate

Rob,

I just found out about this place and will check into it in person.

http://atlanticracegroup.com/storage/

Sherman
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

though their classifications rules seem a bit complicated at first glance.
PBOC classifications are very simple. First rule, dont' bother looking at the classification form, it's useless. Instead, Bob V. will look over your car, ask you a few questions and then put you in any class that he wants. If you are too fast for that class, he will move to a faster class. If you are too slow, he will leave you there
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
jenk12m
Banned

+1 for orbit racing
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by Lemming
PBOC classifications are very simple. First rule, dont' bother looking at the classification form, it's useless. Instead, Bob V. will look over your car, ask you a few questions and then put you in any class that he wants. If you are too fast for that class, he will move to a faster class. If you are too slow, he will leave you there
+1
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

LMAO!

Rob, sad to see you move, but it sounds like it is a great opportunity! I do a LOT of coaching with PBOC drivers, and somethies it seems that I am at Florida tracks more than ones here in Texas. Would love to work with you again, in Florida, to help your talent show down there as it did here in Texas.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I've only had one personal interaction with Bob and I walked away wondering "Who died and left you king". I love Chin Motorsports.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Just now coming up for air to check in again. Things could not be more busy since I pulled the trigger on the move! Already have the house in Plano under contract for its sale and I've started my drive in Florida. Have the 575 resting in Shreveport this evening and on to New Orleans tomorrow.

Sherman - I owe you a phone call. I look forward to chatting.

Dave - We absolutely will continue to work together. TX, FL, or somewhere else but this will be an ongoing endeavor.

Feeling a little less excited about PBOC now ..... lol
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Nah, PBOC is pretty cool, and Bob is a good egg. In general, the race classes are very fair, and are very close to what you'd see in NASA.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Feeling a little less excited about PBOC now ..... lol
Although what I said it true, PBOC is a great race group, my favorite by far. You will enjoy racing with them and Winterfest is the best
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Welcome to the land of the old people....
As an owner of two condos on SoBe I cringe at that remark Peter!

West coast, yes. Above Lauderdale, yes. Panhandle, yeeee-haw! FL and SoBe are different planets, lets be clear!

Quick Reply: Moving to Florida: Questions about the racing scene