Sponsored by:

helmet selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default helmet selection

I just signed up for my first DE event which will be in October (waitlisted for September ) I went to look at helmets today and found two that fit well. Both were nearly $500. The first was a Shoei RF 1100 and the other was an Aria EXQ. Do I need this level of helmet? On a bike I would think so. In a car, not so sure since I have a car around me rather than nothing.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Couple of options

You have some options ---
1. Borrow from the track day organizer the first few times you drive...
2. Make friends at the track and borrow from another driver...
3. Buy a less expensive helmet from OG Racing like the Bell Sport for <$300
http://www.ogracing.com/bell-sport-sa2010-helmet-12

If you are weary of used helmets you can buy a new balaclava to wear under the helmet - you will want one of these anyhow even if you buy your own new helmet.

Have a fun day -- and relax...

Regards,

PS: CCA is writing about the Shoei RF 1100 and the Aria EXQ -- so you must be looking for helmets in a motorcycle shop...

Last edited by Sboxin; 07-13-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Responding to another post to clarify
Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Both of those are M rated helmets. Many HPDE organizations require SA rated helmets. Do yourself a favor and search for an SA rated helmet.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought the HJC AR-10 (http://www.hjc-motorsports.com/ar10.htm) after speaking with the guys at Wine Country on a tight window to my first DE. It's one of the cheapest helmets, but it's done it's job extremely well. It's not heavy like I've heard Bells can be (not taking a shot at the poster above who recommended a Bell) and I've never once had neck pain from it. I now run it in my kart and again, don't know what more I could ask for in a helmet. One issue however is replacement/additional shields are pretty costly (for a tinted/chrome one to block the sun here in FL) which kind of sucks, but oh well!

Other than that, make sure to try on different brands for fit, some favor round heads, some favor oval noggins. I'm sure the line "buy a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head" will get thrown in here somewhere, but I can't imagine a big name company would produce an unsafe helmet just to meet a price point.

My $.02
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

HJC and Pyrotect make a great entry level helmet for under $300.00 dollars,and that's for an SA2010 SNELL and DOT approved helmet with removeable inner lining ... you can't go wrong !
I have the Pyrotect Pro Aiflow SA2010 full face since approx 18 track days so far and it's great

Cheers !
Phil

Quick Reply: helmet selection