Hoosier R100 blow out. Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cstreit
Joe,

I wanna say it was around 20-21... I think I need to target about 34 hot. No idea on heat cycles as this was my first set of R100's on the new car. I managed to cord a new set of R6's in 4 heat cycles though.. What?! Yeah....
going up to 34'ish will create other problems with the tire though. I found really uneven wear when I did that (34-36 range). These tires really need to be in the 30-31 range hot imo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually set my best lap time at 34psi...

That said, I'm not discounting what you are saying, perhaps the solution is to run Nitrogen to be able to run higher starting pressures and reduce the hot pressure increase... I'm going to try the next set at 33-34 and see if this problem goes away...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Chris -- thx... I ran nitrogen (though only one bleed) and saw about 8 psi incr. However, I can say I don't slide my car as much as you do.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that some sort of dig Magalotti?! ...Things are looking better than the last time we met....
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
going up to 34'ish will create other problems with the tire though. I found really uneven wear when I did that (34-36 range). These tires really need to be in the 30-31 range hot imo
Running at a lower pressure such as 30-31 range hot makes for a larger sweet spot window.

Running at a higher pressure such as 34-36, makes for a smaller sweet spot window, although you (or a really good driver)(and no that is not meant as a dig to you or anyone here) will typically be able to pull off a faster lap at that pressure. The higher pressure will skate a little more and scare a lessor driver into going slower, especially initially.

The trick obviously is being able to not overheat the tires and keep it in the sweet spot, and if you do overheat them then knowing how to cool them. It's harder to keep them in the smaller window which is why most people prefer to just use the lower pressures. But it's also part of the reason why people then have issues with the tires.
It's really just a loading issue. Additional tire pressure helps carry the load. That's why Hoosier always blame these blow outs on low tire pressure.
As for Hoosier occasionally replacing some tires for it, I'm sure if they saw a fault in any tire they would replace it, or if it were a real good customer they would replace it just as a goodwill gesture much like Porsche or any other smart business. Good business on their part.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And the drain spins opposite in Australia. Everywhere I've driven that applies. It has nothing to do with the car, it has to do with the construction of the tires. There is a reason that Hoosier, Michelin, Yoko, and anyone else that makes radial track tires tells you to run 25+ pounds in them. If you look at Goodyear set up sheets for bias plys, you'll see 18+ pounds recommended. But as always, YMMV.
It does spin the opposite way actually.

So would you suggest running at e.g. 25lbs cold and keep coming in to bleed to the desired hot pressure level?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It does spin the opposite way actually.

So would you suggest running at e.g. 25lbs cold and keep coming in to bleed to the desired hot pressure level?
Correct. Start with 25 or more, then come in and bleed until you get to your hot pressures. When you start with less than that, it's really easy to damage the tire carcass.

Our experience with nitrogen (or good dry air) is that we only see around 2-3 pounds increase, so it's not as big of a deal.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Correct. Start with 25 or more, then come in and bleed until you get to your hot pressures. When you start with less than that, it's really easy to damage the tire carcass.

Our experience with nitrogen (or good dry air) is that we only see around 2-3 pounds increase, so it's not as big of a deal.
Well that's pretty impossible if you're starting out a race with stickers.

As for the only 2-3 lb. gain with N are you talking about go-carts on ice? I've never in 10 years of 6-cup racing seen Michelin, Yokes, Pirellis, or Hoosiers not gain at least 8lb. in a 30 minute session, usually more.....
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ha Chris -- No dig!... Wasn't quite sure about your comment until I thought for a minute. Was talk'n controlled slides from going fast.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Whether it's nitrogen or air the pressure will increase as the temperature increases. Pure nitrogen is less sensitive because it has lower moisture content. The condensation/evaporation of moisture content alters the pressure more significantly than for nitrogen with lower water content.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well that's pretty impossible if you're starting out a race with stickers.

As for the only 2-3 lb. gain with N are you talking about go-carts on ice? I've never in 10 years of 6-cup racing seen Michelin, Yokes, Pirellis, or Hoosiers not gain at least 8lb. in a 30 minute session, usually more.....
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R100 blow out. Is this common?