Hoosier R100 blow out. Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
How did bumpsteer blow a tire?
All of the tracks I run are clockwise and put a lot of force on the left rear. My ride height was really low and 996's don't like that. Car was toeing out under load and superheating the inside edge of that rear tire. Caused failure after failure after failure. Sometimes within a couple of sessions, sometimes 4 sessions, but on slicks always by the end of a day. DOT tires lasted much longer, but still suffered the same fate. I posted a couple of threads on it here looking for answers.

In the end added a bumpsteer kit from Tarett and lowered the pickup points for the toe links about 1.5 inches or so and have not had a problem since. Tire wear is outstanding.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
All of the tracks I run are clockwise and put a lot of force on the left rear. My ride height was really low and 996's don't like that. Car was toeing out under load and superheating the inside edge of that rear tire. Caused failure after failure after failure. Sometimes within a couple of sessions, sometimes 4 sessions, but on slicks always by the end of a day. DOT tires lasted much longer, but still suffered the same fate. I posted a couple of threads on it here looking for answers.

In the end added a bumpsteer kit from Tarett and lowered the pickup points for the toe links about 1.5 inches or so and have not had a problem since. Tire wear is outstanding.
You know what's weird about that is I'm at 110-112 mm in the rear (95mm front) on 280/650 Yokes with -3.0 camber. I've never had any rear blowouts or weird wear issues back there in 3 years of hard racing and I do not have a bumpsteer kit. Yokes wear almost evenly across the surface. Just plain weird.....

Note to OP: Try the Yokes....
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I'm guessing it was on the rt rear, correct ?
Also what tire pressures were you running ? And how often did you compensate the pressures for heat, or sessions ran ?

Also how much does your car weigh ?
Is this on the 993 GT2 ?
It was the driver side rear. Pressures were low 30's hot usually 30 to 32 when I came off. Track surface was VERY hot with the 110+ head index over the weekend. Car is 2800 ish
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You know what's weird about that is I'm at 110-112 mm in the rear (95mm front) on 280/650 Yokes with -3.0 camber. I've never had any rear blowouts or weird wear issues back there in 3 years of hard racing and I do not have a bumpsteer kit. Yokes wear almost evenly across the surface. Just plain weird.....

Note to OP: Try the Yokes....
Are you running stock uprights?

My car at the time was about 3400 lbs with me in it, with big DF on high compression tracks and 600 hp. Oddly enough I bought ALL of my suspension and aero mods from a friend (Accelerator) when he turned his car back to stock. He suffered with the exact same problem for two years, went to probably 12-15k worth of tires, his car was even heavier than mine.

I actually have tried yokos, and they lasted a lot longer than the Hoosiers, but still gave in within a day.

My question though is how you got the 280 Yokos to work. I was told they wouldn't work on a 996.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Are you running stock uprights?

My car at the time was about 3400 lbs with me in it, with big DF on high compression tracks and 600 hp. Oddly enough I bought ALL of my suspension and aero mods from a friend (Accelerator) when he turned his car back to stock. He suffered with the exact same problem for two years, went to probably 12-15k worth of tires, his car was even heavier than mine.

I actually have tried yokos, and they lasted a lot longer than the Hoosiers, but still gave in within a day.

My question though is how you got the 280 Yokos to work. I was told they wouldn't work on a 996.
Stock uprights, GT3 lower control arms w/spherical busings, Motons w/monoballs. Pretty straight forward setup really.

I think the difference is probably just the weight I didn't realize you were that much heavier, I'm only 2600 w/driver.

Don't understand the 280 comment. Were you referring to the low profile 650's rather than cup sized 680's? Either tire fits easily in a 996....
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Frankly, IMHO, Hoosier's quality has gone to **** since Continental bought them out.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Stock uprights, GT3 lower control arms w/spherical busings, Motons w/monoballs. Pretty straight forward setup really.

I think the difference is probably just the weight I didn't realize you were that much heavier, I'm only 2600 w/driver.

Don't understand the 280 comment. Were you referring to the low profile 650's rather than cup sized 680's? Either tire fits easily in a 996....

Oh yes, I got the numbers mixed up. I did not know the cup tires would work, think it was something about ABS.

Yeah, the 996 TT is fat!!!!

I am interested in your wiring solution for the dash though. I still have 150lbs to shed.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Frankly, IMHO, Hoosier's quality has gone to **** since Continental bought them out.
Which is weird since you can run the Continental GA slicks all day long and they don't blow out (or stick much) while the softer Hoosiers continue to have these issues...
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I am interested in your wiring solution for the dash though. I still have 150lbs to shed.
Selective paring of the unnecessary circuits. I think I only have 4-5 active circuits. I do miss the heated seats though...
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My understanding was that it was just a working relationship so Continental could have a race tire without having to actually make one.
I don't believe either company bought each other tho.

And I haven't seen a change in the tires since they got in bed together.

This is a weird problem, and by that it's weird because some people have repeated issues with the tires, and yet others have no issues with the tires and run fastest with them vs anything else. I'm not sure if it's heat, weight,pressures, setup, install issues, or what. I have yet to find a continual common issue, but I keep looking.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Spartan
It was the driver side rear. Pressures were low 30's hot usually 30 to 32 when I came off. Track surface was VERY hot with the 110+ head index over the weekend. Car is 2800 ish
How much HP do you have ? ? ?
Rear wheel only ?
Turbo or non Turbo ?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Selective paring of the unnecessary circuits. I think I only have 4-5 active circuits. I do miss the heated seats though...
Will that work on a Turbo car? I heard you have someone out there I can ship my harness to for the pairing down.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
How much HP do you have ? ? ?
Rear wheel only ?
Turbo or non Turbo ?
RWD, turbo, probably around 570 whp
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Well if there have been two things that same to keep popping up on the cars I have seen with this issue, and opposite 2 NOT have the issue.

It seems that heavy rear engine cars, say 3200+, and rear engine big hp turbo cars say 500-550+ RWHP, have the issue of coming apart happen on average more than say lighter cars like JR's 2600 pounder,and my 996 build (2950 with driver), and say under 350 RWHP.

So maybe it's a load issue with weight and big hp, or would that be tq, issue ? - Well, torque IS the twisting force, that could separate the sidewall from the tread. Ok, ok, let's leave the hp/tq issue out of it and just call it power.

Has anyone seen these tire failures, failing in the same way as the OP picture, with something different than that ?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Josh, glad you and the car are A-OK.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R100 blow out. Is this common?