2012 British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure the huge fine will teach him a lesson. Insert sarcasm icon here.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

You're right, I also think Ferrari's strategy was fine. Hards worked & work great for them. If Alonso had started on soft tires, he might've ended in 3rd or 4th.

Main problem was Alonso out driving the tires...
(had to throw that in there since there was praise for his "equipment friendly" driving)
One would think that a 2 time WDC Champion would be able to drive smooth enough to save is equipment.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well the other thing in view of the tyre strategy is not just between e.g. Ferrari and RBR, but also internally. When Vettel was brought in for his last change it forced Webber to do so the next lap which might have been before he wanted to. As it turned out it worked fine, but you wonder if it backfired who would be to blame...
Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

You can't really blame Ferrari for their strategy. The logic is there, big lead, light fuel, soft tires. Also consider that the teams hardly had any any dry tire data because it rained Friday and Saturday.

The only thing that you could hang your hat on if you're going to be critical is that Hamilton did only 7 laps on the softs after his first stop and went right back out on the hards. But then you have to tell yourself, "he is typically hard on tires and he was trying to get by someone on track and may have used them up in the aero wash." so you can't really know that the softs wouldn't work at the end of the race.

Given that Webber was only 5/100 of a second off Alonso for pole, it was anyone's race. And to be honest, if Grojean doesn't have qualifying problems and the a lap 2 pit stop for damage, I think he had a great shot at winning the race.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
That is why I said "some of the most dedicated", I didn't say "the most dedicated".
I agree with you but would suggest that Monza has the most dedicated Ferrari fans whereas Silverstone has some of the most dedicated race fans, as evidenced by over 100,000 of them fighting through the mud and floods to get there last weekend. We might be a bit biased towards the 'British' teams but seeing as most of them have a British element that makes us a pretty fair lot. And Mr Webber has been one of our favourite adopted ozzies for some time now so we're very pleased to see him win.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
One would think that a 2 time WDC Champion would be able to drive smooth enough to save is equipment.
BTW, how did your guy do? The one you picked to win the race. His softs lasted, 6-7 laps if I remember, lol. One would think a 1 time WDC Champion would be able to drive smooth enough to save his equipment.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I agree with you but would suggest that Monza has the most dedicated Ferrari fans whereas Silverstone has some of the most dedicated race fans, as evidenced by over 100,000 of them fighting through the mud and floods to get there last weekend...
You're right with that one.

Where as Brits just booze up more so the mud doesn't bother anymore, Italians would enjoy the race from some local bar or home and just add more Prosecco & Aperol in the cooler while snacking on some prosciutto, salami and parmesan...
Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
BTW, how did your guy do? The one you picked to win the race. His softs lasted, 6-7 laps if I remember, lol. One would think a 1 time WDC Champion would be able to drive smooth enough to save his equipment.
One would think. But Hamilton was, like your guy, a loser. Even a 7 time WDC was a loser. It is just the other losers did not lose from the lead. I really liked Masa returning to his pre-accident form.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

One would think. But Hamilton was, like your guy, a loser. Even a 7 time WDC was a loser. It is just the other losers did not lose from the lead. I really liked Masa returning to his pre-accident form.
Agree and yes Alonso was never supposed to be on pole. The fact that he overachieved that result is the reason people like you have something to say. He should have qualified 3-4th and then maybe come 2nd, which would then show progress (or would make him a non-loser). What a shame, the guy overdrives his car, gets pole, loses it to a faster car with 4 laps to go. What a loser...
I know then there would be excuses about others bad luck, i.e. Valencia. Your hate for Alonso is well known here...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhh... maybe some of you Hamilton-haters should now go back and watch the crash with Maldonado at Valencia again...

Maldonado is a menace out there.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Agree and yes Alonso was never supposed to be on pole. The fact that he overachieved that result is the reason people like you have something to say. He should have qualified 3-4th and then maybe come 2nd, which would then show progress (or would make him a non-loser). What a shame, the guy overdrives his car, gets pole, loses it to a faster car with 4 laps to go. What a loser...
I know then there would be excuses about others bad luck, i.e. Valencia. Your hate for Alonso is well known here...
And your point is?

Last time I looked there was no rule against disliking a driver. Especially one with the offtrack record of Alonso. His antics are well known.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

And your point is?

Last time I looked there was no rule against disliking a driver. Especially one with the offtrack record of Alonso. His antics are well known.
You are 100% correct. There is no point in having this discussion. I think you mean hate, not dislike. Adios!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alonso is no loser. But we need to stop this nonsense in saying he is driving inferior equipment. Red Bull and Ferrari are the two best cars on the grid right now and there really isn't that much different between the two teams. Both teams have their strengths and their weaknesses. The next best team (Renault ... err ... I mean Lotus) while a decent car is not as good as Red Bull and Ferrari. Everyone had a wet setup for this race and without a doubt Ferrari had their wet setup really dialed in hence Alonso's good effort in Q3. Just look at the onboard lap of Alonso's Q3 pole lap versus Schumachers Q3 lap. Alonso hardly had to fight his car while Schumacher had his hands full trying to control his. Without a doubt Alonso is better than Massa, but Massa is still an experienced F1 driver and the fact that Massa had a good weekend tells us that Ferrari has a good car this year.

Alonso lost this race because of the race strategy. The option tires were really only fast for a couple laps while the primes were able to maintain their pace through most of the stint. This is why Alonso pulled away from the field in the first stint and why Webber was able to reel him in on the 3rd stint. For most of the race it looked like Ferrari chose the right strategy, but at the end when it counted, the options just did not deliver the necessary speed for the Spaniard to hold the Aussie off. Of course it did require a ballys pass from Webber to win the race and maybe Vettel would have also needed to try a late race ballsy pass had he not been held up by Schumacher in the 1st stint, but this we will never know. Red Bull may have a slight overall lap speed advantage over Ferrari (only by a 10th or so of a second) but when is the last time you saw the Ferrari suffer some sort of mechanical failure? The Red Bull seems to break down at the worst times (how many times did it fail in 2010, at least 4 times with Vettel leading the race). The Ferrari never seems to break down. I see Alonso, Webber and Vettel fighting for the championship into the last race the same way these three fought in 2010. Hamilton may not be out either. He was fast in Canada, but likely had too much down force expecting rain in the British GP.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, Massa looked really good Hopefully, he can stay with the Scuderia for another year
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
Red Bull may have a slight overall lap speed advantage over Ferrari (only by a 10th or so of a second) but when is the last time you saw the Ferrari suffer some sort of mechanical failure? The Red Bull seems to break down at the worst times (how many times did it fail in 2010, at least 4 times with Vettel leading the race). The Ferrari never seems to break down.
That is well known fact with Newey cars. The same was the case when he was designing for McLaren. They were superfast, but fragile. Ferrari has had a long history of going for reliability over pure pace. You can research and will find Ferrari having some of their longest streaks without a DNF with Schumi. That was one of the reasons Schumi won so many championships. As they say, in order to finish 1st, 1st you must finish.
As far as Ferrari being only a 10th slower, can you show me some facts to prove this? Last I checked, they were 3/10th slower. You cannot compare Silverstone since it was a wet setup for everyone. We will find out at the next dry race what the real difference is, but I doubt it's only 1/10 of a sec.

Quick Reply: 2012 British Grand Prix