Sponsored by:

Probably not the very last remake of the tow vehicle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

24' is not a big trailer at all.

Rob, I wonder if it's not the trailer itself. Perhaps, next event, you could tag onto a buddy's loaded trailer and go drive it for 30 mins or so just to knock that variable out.

Shocks?

Setup of the hitch?

Perhaps a pic of the loaded and hooked up rig would help.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Rob S, why did you get such a big trailer? I'm ignorant of this stuff, obviously, and I'd like to learn as much as possible beore buying a trailer. I'm planning on just renting a U-Haul in the beginning.
As Kai B said, a 24 foot trailer is not really all that big -- for an enclosed trailer . Probably the minimum practical size for enclosed is 20 feet, but a 20 footer can squeeze you if you're trying to carry a bunch of wheels, tools, fuel, equipment, tents, chairs and personal stuff. I think for anyone involved in a racing effort (though I’m not), many would say that 24 feet is the minimum that works well. For an open trailer, because you can't really store that much on it, lengths shorter than 20 feet may work fine. There are obviously some benefits to an open trailer -- it's lighter, likely shorter, and may require a lesser tow vehicle. But a good aluminum open trailer may not be cheaper than a low-end enclosed trailer. The price range for open and enclosed trailers overlaps. I bought mine (used) on an opportunistic binge -- it was available to me reasonably, so I got it. I really don't need such a large trailer, but I really appreciate having an enclosed trailer so the car can be hidden and not outside in the weather. With it, however, come certain hassles...

Originally Posted by KaiB
24' is not a big trailer at all.

Rob, I wonder if it's not the trailer itself. Perhaps, next event, you could tag onto a buddy's loaded trailer and go drive it for 30 mins or so just to knock that variable out.

Shocks?

Setup of the hitch?

Perhaps a pic of the loaded and hooked up rig would help.
It's possible that the shocks on my truck are in need of replacement. It does feel a little wallowy, even when unloaded and not towing. New shocks are the next thing I'll try. As for it being the trailer itself, I don't really know how it could be at fault. It's a well-respected, mid-quality trailer (a Pace American Shadow GT), and though it's rather old (1998), there's not much to it that I think would make it sub-par compared to any other trailer (it’s got quality axles and new tires). I think the hitch setup is very standard. My truck (just purchased used – a 2003 model) came with oversized tires, which may be a factor too. The original size is 235; these are 285s. Maybe they’re somehow adding compliance that shouldn’t be there. I think I'll start with the shocks on the truck.

Do any of you with rigs similar to mine find that overload springs are necessary or helpful to either limit squat or improve handling? I had a bad experience with air springs in the Tahoe, so I'm not encouraged to use those again (though it may have been more a matter of the Tahoe just being inadequate, regardless of the springs).

Here's what the rig looks like:
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that's bigger than my house.

Quick Reply: Probably not the very last remake of the tow vehicle question