Sponsored by:

Probably not the very last remake of the tow vehicle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably not the very last remake of the tow vehicle question

I'll admit it, I'm trying to be cheap here.

I need a tow vehicle and I don't want to buy one. I will have to buy a trailer, so I'm trying to save the money for that.

But GF has a truck, a 2010 Tundra 4X2 Double Cab. This would be a no brainer, but she got the 4.0L V6. Supposedly 236hp and 266 ft-lbs. Max tow cap 4800 lbs.

Is that going to pull a fat *** '84 Carrera (it is on a diet) on an aluminum trailer?

She did not get the towing package, so what kind of hitch and connections does it need? The bumper is supposedly rated to 5000 lbs, and it already has a 4 wire trailer connector, but on a car trailer with electric brakes, it that what it needs, or more?

Any leads on a good lightweight trailer?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man - I wouldn't.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
I'll admit it, I'm trying to be cheap here.

I need a tow vehicle and I don't want to buy one. I will have to buy a trailer, so I'm trying to save the money for that.

But GF has a truck, a 2010 Tundra 4X2 Double Cab. This would be a no brainer, but she got the 4.0L V6. Supposedly 236hp and 266 ft-lbs. Max tow cap 4800 lbs.

Is that going to pull a fat *** '84 Carrera (it is on a diet) on an aluminum trailer?

She did not get the towing package, so what kind of hitch and connections does it need? The bumper is supposedly rated to 5000 lbs, and it already has a 4 wire trailer connector, but on a car trailer with electric brakes, it that what it needs, or more?

Any leads on a good lightweight trailer?
No, they typical aluminum open Trailex comes in at ~900#, add ~3000#s for the car and you are already getting near the limit and it's not a good idea to tow near the rated load anyway.

My 4Runner is rated for ~7000# and tows an open Trailex + 993 easily, I like having ~100% reserve capacity
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Been pulling trailers with a 3.3L V6 for 12 years. Set the trailer up right and you will be safer than many I see at the track with larger trucks, poor loading skills that take paddock pride in shaving 20 min of the drive in by doing 80+ while towing on 3 year old chicom trailer tires.

You will need to install an elec brake system in the truck. Kep everything in good condition, load the rig well, drive at legal speeds and have a good time at the track.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't be ideal but IMHO it's doable. You'll need a 6-way connector (probably should have the Toyota dealer wire it up) and definitely get a brake controller. At least out your way it's pretty flat. Check out etrailer.com.

Why you need a 6-way: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Tow hitches: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...hitch&_sacat=0

One with wiring kit included: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAILER-HITC...#ht_3811wt_962

You'll have to do some research on that vehicle to make sure you know what you need.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tranny cooler and air bag assist springs on the truck would be a good idea as well.
The truck should have enough power, the load and towing limit is mostly set by the suspension.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

OK, thanks. I'll take the truck by the Toyota place, see how much a hitch, wiring, etc. costs and what they recommend. Maybe they will have a V8 I can talk her into buying.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Maybe they will have a V8 I can talk her into buying.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

+1
That's the tail about to wag the dog~

Originally Posted by KaiB
Man - I wouldn't.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From your avatar can I assume you're a vet? If so then go lease a decent tow vehicle and write it off 100 % ( I won't tell). Small, underpowered, and under suspended tow vehicles are great on most days, it's that one time when a gust of wind or bump in the road sets the trailer swaying that you'll wish you'd bought a proper tow vehicle (in between praying)....
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
... it's that one time when a gust of wind or bump in the road

INSERT HERE....

sets the trailer swaying that you'll wish you'd bought a proper tow vehicle (in between praying)....
"while its raining and a dolt in a Honda just cut you off"

That's what really happens...
Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
From your avatar can I assume you're a vet? If so then go lease a decent tow vehicle and write it off 100 % ( I won't tell). Small, underpowered, and under suspended tow vehicles are great on most days, it's that one time when a gust of wind or bump in the road sets the trailer swaying that you'll wish you'd bought a proper tow vehicle (in between praying)....
Underpowered, yes, but, small and undersuspended, no. That friggin Tundra is a monster. I couldn't even get in the damn thing until the dealer added the nerf bars.

I think I will just put on a hitch, rent a U-Haul car trailer every couple of months, and run it until the transmission burns out, then talk her into buying a V8.

Yes, I'm a vet, but I work for the USDA now, so no write off. That is hard to do with a truck, unless you have a horse or cow or house call practice, and if I was still doing that, I wouldn't have enough money or time to even think about tracking.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yer nutz.

You're planning on borrowing a vehicle with a max tow capacity of some 4,800# to haul a 2,200# steel trailer and 2,800# car, plus load for a track weekend inside the truck.

This transcends foolish on so many levels. And no, that truck is not a monster.

If this is only once each couple months, why not rent a proper rig, from front bumper all the way back?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Easy - find a girlfriend with a bigger truck.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have only done one DE, why are you worried about a trailer now?

Spend the money on getting your 911 road ready and on track time. You shouldn't be thinking of track-only mods yet.

I drove my car to the track for 5 years until I invested in a race prepped, track-only car. If you are worried about spending money on the truck now, you are thinking backwards.

Quick Reply: Probably not the very last remake of the tow vehicle question