Sponsored by:

Disappointing Attitude from Vettel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Where I was truly shocked was when the safety car didn't come out when someone's car broke down just around a blind corner. I can't remember who's car it was, but everyone remembers it because the corner workers were pushing the car and the track marshalls were waving "GREEN" flags instead of yellow.
It was Vettel's car they were pushing out of the way ... with the Green "You are clear to race" flag being waved.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's fairly clear to all of us had it been Alonso leading 20 secs there would've not been a SC on track but for Seb or RB to whine, especially when it seems very likely they would've DNFs anyway is pointless and quite frankly, stupid.
Unless someone asks (which it might've been in this case), give your opinion but please no whine and bitching.

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
LOL. You must be new here. When Kurt Busch yelled at the NASCAR reporter, it was Alonso's fault. When the Supreme Court okayed the Obamacare package today, it was Alonso's fault. Get used to it.
Wow... Real funny... And so original...
Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Vettel is young and has a lot on the line. He's right to be a driver and focus on winning first, and be a diplomat second. He can adopt the elder statesman persona when the time comes. That aside, the increased time and heat and slow running could lead to a failure, but it's not what I'd call a realistic cause for complaint or to argue that the engine would not have failed otherwise.

The thing that really irks me is the labeling and suggestion of "bad loser" ... that's the inappropriate behavior in this story. The history of F1 is marred by good drivers that have acted like bad losers -- it's nothing new to the sport, but that's not to say it's welcome. Questioning the consistency of race operations that alter the outcome of a race is not bad sportsmanship.

The objective here should be a call for consistency and appropriate rules, instead of arbitrary decisions that will not be consistent from one incident to the next, let alone one race venue to the next. As for how to word those rules or actually bring about consistency ... that's another question that has dogged F1 in the modern era.
Not to push the conspiracy thing more than needs be, but I guess if every time someone had a whinge when they were disadvantaged by some deployment of a safety car, or teamate's car or whatever...that they were always wrong, then this would ring true. As we all know though, there have been enough times in F1 of questionable moves, motives, behaviour, rulings etc...to justify people complaining. Surely some of the complainers had every right to cry out for the injustice. Imagine the pressures on these guys. As 'fun' an occupation it might seem from the sidelines (which of course it is!) they live by their results and you don't get a long life at the top unless you can produce. Vettel must be feeling the pressure after such an easy season last year. Clearly the others have caught up and life ain't so rosy. So when he produced a performance as good as any from 2011 to only have it fail like it did, well you can imagine impromptu comments flowing from a young man's mouth. He should/would have won that race by miles.

Originally Posted by My993C2
It was Vettel's car they were pushing out of the way ... with the Green "You are clear to race" flag being waved.
I might be wrong but I thought that was someone else's car?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I think it's fairly clear to all of us had it been Alonso leading 20 secs there would've not been a SC on track but for Seb or RB to whine, especially when it seems very likely they would've DNFs anyway is pointless and quite frankly, stupid.
Unless someone asks (which it might've been in this case), give your opinion but please no whine and bitching.

Wow... Real funny... And so original...
I am sorry your view is so skewed Fin, makes me wonder why you bother to watch and surprises me how Red Bull has been "allowed" to win 2 years in a row." But I am glad to see that you got my point I do not mean for this to be about Alonso, I mean it to be about Vettel and his professionalism.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No it's Vettel's car that was being pushed out of the way while the Marshalls waved the Green Flag. I just watched the video again to confirm it. The Marshall clearly had a brain fart. There were Yellow flags being waved going into the hairpin. It was only this one station exiting the hairpim where Vettel's car was being pushed and the Marshall was waving the Green. Talk about a severe case of being color blind, or just not paying attention to what you are waving in your handing.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Not to push the conspiracy thing more than needs be, but I guess if every time someone had a whinge when they were disadvantaged by some deployment of a safety car, or teamate's car or whatever...that they were always wrong, then this would ring true. As we all know though, there have been enough times in F1 of questionable moves, motives, behaviour, rulings etc...to justify people complaining. Surely some of the complainers had every right to cry out for the injustice. Imagine the pressures on these guys. As 'fun' an occupation it might seem from the sidelines (which of course it is!) they live by their results and you don't get a long life at the top unless you can produce. Vettel must be feeling the pressure after such an easy season last year. Clearly the others have caught up and life ain't so rosy. So when he produced a performance as good as any from 2011 to only have it fail like it did, well you can imagine impromptu comments flowing from a young man's mouth. He should/would have won that race by miles.

I agree with all of your post with the exception of the statement that Vettel is feeling pressure. After winning 2 WDC and WCC in a row, I don't think he has pressure. He's proven he was no fluke or 1 time wonder. Once you win your first one, the pressure seems to come off and everyone knows that to win 3 in a row is nearly impossible.

IMO, RBR should just keep their mouth shut and accept the fact that they had a mechanical failure and it wasn't only to Vettels Renault engine that expired. I really believe that the Red Bull car is now sorted out with these new rules and is the car to beat for the rest of the season. RBR was expecting an easy win that didn't happen and frustration set in.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
I am sorry your view is so skewed Fin, makes me wonder why you bother to watch and surprises me how Red Bull has been "allowed" to win 2 years in a row." But I am glad to see that you got my point I do not mean for this to be about Alonso, I mean it to be about Vettel and his professionalism.
Oh please, like Ferrari has not had sections go their way in F1 before... Let's not get that naive here.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Love to see the passion from Vettel and don't consider it whiney or immature (a la Hamilton last year) especially considering:
1- The caution when Vettel was leading was for comparatively minor debris
2- No caution flag or SC when Vettel's car was stopped on track (with corner workers surrounding it)
Who, other than hardcore Alonso fans, wouldn't be a little frustrated by the officiating?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

IMO, RBR should just keep their mouth shut and accept the fact that they had a mechanical failure and it wasn't only to Vettels Renault engine that expired. I really believe that the Red Bull car is now sorted out with these new rules and is the car to beat for the rest of the season. RBR was expecting an easy win that didn't happen and frustration set in.
The voice of reason
Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Oh please, like Ferrari has not had sections go their way in F1 before... Let's not get that naive here.
We are not naive at all and of course Ferrari has had it's fair share. RBR should just let it go the car died anyway.

RBR will be the car to beat it looks like going forward and Ferrari ahve made it very clear and transparent that they are concerned.

The points lost by Ferrari in Canada due to the ill advised decision to stay out could come back and haunt them.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Who cares? He's frekin human. You can't put a fake smile on every time...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
The points lost by Ferrari in Canada due to the ill advised decision to stay out could come back and haunt them.
I couldn't agree more. It was poor judgement and in a championship that could be decided by a few points, Vettel passing Alonso in Canada might be the difference. They would have to look back at Canada if they lose it in a close battle. Same as the yr they lost WDC to Vettel the 1st time.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
Who cares? He's frekin human. You can't put a fake smile on every time...
I agree, I am all for emotions. Whats the big deal if Hammy threw his steering or if Vettel said something out of frustration. It is only normal. I think the difference is when you incenuate sabotage or conspiracy.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with all of your post with the exception of the statement that Vettel is feeling pressure. After winning 2 WDC and WCC in a row, I don't think he has pressure. He's proven he was no fluke or 1 time wonder. Once you win your first one, the pressure seems to come off and everyone knows that to win 3 in a row is nearly impossible.

Far be it for me to imagine what SB is thinking / feeling but I believe a defending champion (especially having won so easily in 2011) would be feeling pressure, even if it's only self imposed due to expectations of a similar season or at least considerably more success than he's enjoyed thus far 2012. It doesn't really bother me when they shoot their mouths off. Remember when you were in your early 20's? Damn I'm sure I said all manner of stupid things...the difference being that nobody was listening heheh. I didn't mind LH banging and throwing the wheel away either. He must be very frustrated by his team's constant bumbling in the pits. He's also made some stupid plays on the track but he's young, talented, hungry and not winning.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I agree on the pressure front as well. I remember when Mika was trying to go for #3. He said, the pressure was too much for him to deal with. That is one of the reasons you hardly get a 3peat WDC winner in F1. Getting 1 is hard enough, getting 2 in a row is very very hard, 3 is nearly impossible and very few have ever done it.
The pressure is definitely there, be it self imposed or not. What is interesting to me is that there is plenty of rumbling that he might join Alonso at Ferrari in 2014. Now more and more sources are reporting the same thing.
Raj

Quick Reply: Disappointing Attitude from Vettel