Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need more front neg camber ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Do i need more front neg camber ?

Hey guys,

First time running "R" compounds and after 14 heat cycles on my Nitto's i was wondering if the tire wear looks normal ?

I'm maxed out right now at -2.4 in the front due to the help of some Tarret camber plates and the fact that i used rubber strut boots to gain every bit
of available setting and in the rear i'm close to -2.8 with the use of some Cambermax adjusters.

Now, Le Circuit Mont Tremblant has more demanding right hand turns than lefts so i swap my wheels from left to right after every event as it seems i get more wear on the outside of the left tires than the right.

It would seem that i need more neg front camber but for now are there any ways other than decambered ball joints to gain some more camber ?Would going from 22/29 torsion bars to 23/31 help reduce body roll and lessen the effect on outer chord tire wear ?
I need some comments on the front tire wear from more experienced eyes !

Sizes are 225/45/17 and 255/40/17 on 7.5 and 9 inch wheels ...

Cheers !
Phil
Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Wow,

No feedback,guess it's all good then

Cheers !
Phil
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

They don't look too bad. With stock shocks and springs, the car is pretty soft and will roll, causing lots of edge wear.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know basically nothing about tires, but how do you like the NT-01s?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I also think they look pretty good.......outside shoulder is slightly more worn, but not bad really.....

Whats your hot tire pressures? Do you have a tire temp gauge? A temp gauge is quite helpful
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard question to answer because of the number of variables however:The tires look OK and between 2 & 3 degrees camber should be right. They are a little more worn on the outside than ideal but that is not necessarily an initial camber setting issue. It could easily be an issue of too soft springs, worn out shocks or pivots or inadequate anti roll bars.

Just for the record, by 14 heat cycles on either RA1s on my SpecBox, or Hoosiers on my GT3 I would call them dead and bury them. If you are happy with the way the car is handling (which you didn't mention) then I wouldn't do anything. Run the tires until either they are close to exposing metal or they aren't working anymore (I would guess it will be a similar timeline).

If however,your car is inclined to understeer more than you want then a little more front camber might help both situations.

In answer to your question regarding slightly stiffer springs the answer is: In principle, yes - slightly stiffer springs will cause the car to roll slightly less which will in turn shift the wear on the loaded outside tires towards the inside edge. In practice I suspect that you would not feel or see any difference. If you are desperate to part with your money I would suggest you find someone that can build (or has available) a suspension set-up that fully considers all things to do with your car and you as a driver. Simply changing out spring rates without consideration for shocks and bars and without accommodating your setup preferences, vehicle weight, driving style and driving conditions is unlikely to help. The only exception to this would be in the case where you have experienced this swap on someone else's similar vehicle and you liked the outcome.

Enjoy the slipper slope you have just entered.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My set up is basically the same as yours. 17" rims, NT01's with front camber set - 2.7º. I pay attention to tread temperature, pressure and shoulder wear. It's difficult to tune suspension to eliminate all uneven tread wear, so flip inside-out and rotate as needed. Your tread wear looks very even. NT01's wear very well over a long time. Experiment and enjoy your present set-up. Your springs are adequate if your car rolls max 4º, although less is better. Practice entering corners slightly faster, slightly earlier and then add speed gradually. Drive a longer arc thru track out. Less downshifting, less braking, less chassis roll.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Sig,

Thank you for the feedback as it seems we're on the same playing field,i will most likely upgrade to 23/31 torsion bars and install some decambered ball joints in the next month or so as i still have approx 10 track days left this year and i want to make the best of it !

I carry a lot of unsprung weight with my 996TT boat anchors all around and i'll bet my front shocks which are only two years old are probably toast by now so revalving is in the plans for this Winter.

Yes Nittos are great tires for a 911,much more fun than the Dunlop Star Specs i use in the rain and i would recommend them anytime as they're a great value for the dollar !

PS: Laurie,that slope gets slipperier every weekend

Cheers !
Phil

Quick Reply: Do i need more front neg camber ?