Sponsored by:

A NEW TREND IN RACING ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Plus, when everyone is in a different car with different preperation, you make the poor people take the financial risk/expense that the more funded take. I'm all for you put as much into a car as you are willing to lose.
+1

Can't see how it could be applied other than in a spec series with only one class of similar cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
+1

Can't see how it could be applied other than in a spec series with only one class of similar cars.
I disagree. I run a 944Cup SP2 car, and get passed by a lot of faster class cars (= more expensive). I believe its all about situational awareness, and giving each other room. When a faster car that's caught up to me is trying to get around, its not a big deal; the sooner they are by me the better. I've even used point by's. The likelyhood of damage is more with another similar racer, where neither is able to run away from the other. Battling for position is when the envelope might get pushed.

When I first raced in an ITS Datsun 240Z in the '80's, the car had tags, and I couldn't afford a trailer & tow vehicle. My wife and I would load up the Z and her VW Rabbit, and we'd both drive to the track. While racing, I would always ask myself, "If this move doesn't work, will I be able to drive home?" It doesn't take unreasonable amounts of effort to be aware. I even got a checkered flag once in that Z, yet it never failed to get me back home.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Interesting idea but good luck collecting unless they intend to debit credit cards in advance.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
I disagree. I run a 944Cup SP2 car, and get passed by a lot of faster class cars (= more expensive). I believe its all about situational awareness, and giving each other room. When a faster car that's caught up to me is trying to get around, its not a big deal; the sooner they are by me the better. I've even used point by's. The likelyhood of damage is more with another similar racer, where neither is able to run away from the other. Battling for position is when the envelope might get pushed.

When I first raced in an ITS Datsun 240Z in the '80's, the car had tags, and I couldn't afford a trailer & tow vehicle. My wife and I would load up the Z and her VW Rabbit, and we'd both drive to the track. While racing, I would always ask myself, "If this move doesn't work, will I be able to drive home?" It doesn't take unreasonable amounts of effort to be aware. I even got a checkered flag once in that Z, yet it never failed to get me back home.
It's not always so easy. Some of the fast cars are driven by slower drivers, and getting around them in a momentum car usually means outbraking them, or going side by side through the of corners. These things are calculated risks. . Even "high percentage" passes will go wrong a (small) percentage of the time. This sort of policy would take a large percentage of club racers out of the picture.

The logistics of this rule is also difficult. Who determines what the "value" of a race car is, or when it's "totalled"?

One interesting policy being tried out in NASA Socal is to require the offending driver to repair their car to a higher standard (in addition to standard penalties) This makes it appropriately more painful to get back in the game if you're at fault, and keeps out shabby cars. It makes people at least care a bit more about their own cars. If you've just put a lot of time any money into making it really nice, you'll think harder about making a low percentage pass than if that fender is already wrinkled.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

The only way it works is if the offense is egregious. I mean really really clear cut. Otherwise the driver who is found at fault just says "F U" It's not like there is any legally binding authority in this case. That's when the lawyers show up and then it's a short jump to finding fault with organizers, tracks, manufacturers. Anytime a lawyer gets involved they start looking for the deepest pockets.

It's a nice thought that would get completely bastardized by the opportunistic or the guy with more cash to fight with.

It's a slippery slope that ends with the utter destruction of the sport we love.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
It's a nice thought that would get completely bastardized by the opportunistic or the guy with more cash to fight with.

It's a slippery slope that ends with the utter destruction of the sport we love.
This
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Bad bad precedence...
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
How many times have we watched video on this board from more than one source, and ended up arguing over fault?

People will end up going to court. The lawyers will profit.
Agreed. Nice idea in theory if someone just blatantly stuffs up and causes you damage...but it will go to court for sure.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM
MrFukengruven
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Yep and it will tie up the repair of your car for months during litigation.
I agree. It will just be the time where your car is not being repaired/reprepped for another event

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
+1
Aside from Spec Boxster, ITC Series, Spec E30, or Spec Miata, I think it is a bad situation when one's small (or big) screwup in a car worth $25k, causes a complete write-off to let's say, a Porsche GT3 Cup car. It can also cause one to go bankrupt very quickly too... Yes, this is why there are 'run-groups', but even that does not always prevent something from going wrong...

What I am saying (in my opinion), is that it is good we have Spec racing series around, as everyone's vehicle seems to be valued around the same $$$ amount, so if one writes it off, you won't entirely go broke (hopefully).
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Bad bad precedence...
Agree. If something like this were to enter POC, etc. I would sell the race car immediately and go back to golf. Too much risk.

If I have an incident, regardless of fault, I can park my own car until repairs are made, or make the decision to call it quits. Either way, I control my expense. This is exactly how I managed the repair bill when I was hit in a race earlier in the year - never did I expect the offending driver to cover the cost.

If I center punch a cup car I suspect the guy will want his money now, forcing me to sell the race car to pay the repair bill that will likely exceed the value of my own car. This is nuttier than squirrel ****.

I have noticed more and more people offering to pay for the repair of others cars recently and it feels like a bad, bad trend. They do not seem to get what they are propagating.

If this continues the track will be occupied by only the very rich, or the very stupid.

Cheers,
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
The only way it works is if the offense is egregious. I mean really really clear cut. Otherwise the driver who is found at fault just says "F U" It's not like there is any legally binding authority in this case. That's when the lawyers show up and then it's a short jump to finding fault with organizers, tracks, manufacturers. Anytime a lawyer gets involved they start looking for the deepest pockets.

I do see Streak's point. I, too, felt this should only be applied for clear-cut faults, but the definition of such can certainly be blurred. The deep-pocketed will probably care less than then the budget racers. Now if there was a way to keep this authority within the racing club's control, and not allowed to spill over into the public courts, maybe it could work better. Of course then the process relies on the sensibibility of the racing club. Perhaps use a review panel made up of club management & racer representatives.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W2W racing is an "at risk" sport where all participants assume consequences of putting their car on track with other cars under open passing for position (this is for both the hitter and hittee). There are gentleman in this sport and from time to time if they make a mistake they will own up to their fault. Unfortunately, that is the exception and not the rule. Still, I don't agree with paying for damage you cause as a rule at least at the amateur level which most of us race.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

The idea doesn't even work in a spec class. There are $8k spec miatas and there are $35k spec miatas. Pretty big difference. That goes on in every spec class. No matter what group, there are huge differences in preparation and cars.

If people want to go on the track, they risk losing their car. If they don't like that, they can buy insurance.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not willing to risk anything more than the value of my own car. A rule like this would cause me to quit the series in question and look for another place to race.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil

If this continues the track will be occupied by only the very rich, or the very stupid.

Cheers,
You mean it's not already that way??????

Quick Reply: A NEW TREND IN RACING ?