Nanotechnology in engine and gear oils - new company/sponsor intro

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
Say again?

A gearbox that would normally be timed out in "X" time period showed no wear in the same "X" time period with your product?? No wear?

Dont't get me wrong, always interested in new technologies/product advancement, but that is a pretty bold statement.
Originally Posted by winders
Oh come on. Now you sound like a Slick 50 infomercial. That is not at all believable.

Scott
Sorry for the delayed response, as I have been out of the country with no e-mail access, and apologies for a very, very poorly worded statement.

The feedback said F1 team gave was "looked like a new gearbox," whereas a typical durability test would show a transmission that was worn out. Unfortunately, as you can imagine in the world secrecey that is F1, this was done quite sub rosa. So while we have many testimonials from Rally teams, BTCC, etc. the F1 guys have sponsorship deals that will preclude us from being able to give direct feedback.

So, correct, "no wear" was more of a figurative statement than a literal one. I was trying to communicate the message of a statement said casually, and created some confusion, for which I apologize. But again, the guys free to speak publicly are getting 3-4 times the life out of the gearbox.

This is a PDF of an article about the gear oil from Racetech Magazine from the July, 2009 issue. I can tell you this all I want, but hopefully this will serve as a good, objective resource: http://performanceracingoils.com/PDF...eakthrough.pdf
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Anything for the GT3 gear box? I see the LS gear oil is not for syncro gear boxes.
Bob, thanks for bringing this up. Somehow the superscript got lost on the datasheet, but if you read down at the bottom, you'll see that the LS stuff IS indeed recommended for limited slip, synchro gearboxes. Regardless, we need to make this more obvious. It has been used by Karl in his GTB1/World Challenge 996, as well as a Grand Am team with a FWD transaxle, and works well.

We have had one customer in a GT3 who was having issues with gear oil being too slick, so we went with the non-LS stuff for his car. I can't recall the details, but Karl is thinking it might have been that for whatever reason, he had a Quaiffe (i.e. a non-clutch setup), which would not use the LS, regardless.

The reason that the gear oil with LS additive is not recommended for conventional gearboxes (i.e. w/o the differential) with synchros is that the reduced friction from the nano additive combined with the reduced friction from LS modifyers would make the synchros "too" slick. But again, so far we've seen success in a few applications running the LS gear oil in transaxles with clutch-type diffs.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Nano technology is in our future, it's still new so there will be non believers. There is still many applications waiting to be developed still.

This is one of my faves.
Click the see it in action part.

http://www.neverwet.com/index.php
Small world. I know Vinod. That technology was developed here at Oak Ridge National Labs, and he used to be based in an incubator here (about 20 minutes from here). It doesn't actually use nanospheres, but a rather different technique. I met him in a prior start-up endeavor, where I was looking to use the same technology in an LED application. Seeing this stuff in real-life is just incredible!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
The issue with nanotech is there's no knowing what happens when you toss this stuff out. The particles are so small normal filters can't catch it. Things like carbon nanotubes and monofilament structures act just like asbestos in the lungs and some buckyballs are so small they can pass right through the skin. Most nanotech labs I do are biohazard level containment environments. Amazing stuff that is or soon will be in most everything we use, we are only in the early steps of most applications...
The difference with nanospheres and stuff like asbestos is that the spheres and tubes are much, much smaller than the fibers that caused problems. From what I've been able to find out about asbestos, the fibers actually become entagled and trapped with chromosomes. The lengthes here are orders of magnitude larger than your typical buckey ball. Even a single red blood cell will be about two orders of magnitude larger in diameter than one of the nanospheres in the oil.

Here are some MSDSs for both the NT oil (http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/safety/7675.pdf) and the non-NT stuff(http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/safety/6253.pdf

Obviously the catch here is "known," versus "unknown." Fortunately, all of the processessing we do nowadays is genearlly more cautious than it had been in the past.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Is it patented. And if so, what are the U.S. numbers.
Sorry I missed this. If it was not clear, we are the distributor, not the manufacturer. The patent question would be most properly directed to Millers Oils. This is my personal opinion, not the Millers positiong - In some other tech situations I've been in, a patent is seen as not a good value, and sometimes detremental, when the product can't be reverse engineered.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 67King
Sorry I missed this. If it was not clear, we are the distributor, not the manufacturer. The patent question would be most properly directed to Millers Oils. This is my personal opinion, not the Millers positiong - In some other tech situations I've been in, a patent is seen as not a good value, and sometimes detremental, when the product can't be reverse engineered.
I see. I was trying to find out more "objective" information about the technology. And yes, provided that the product can not be reverse engineered, it can be a prudent strategy. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So which trans oil would you recommend for a 968 gearbox with Torsen diff in a race car?
The CRX 75W90 NT?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
So which trans oil would you recommend for a 968 gearbox with Torsen diff in a race car?
The CRX 75W90 NT?
I have that same question. I suspect you're right on which one we need Duke.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
The CRX 75W90 NT?
Yep. LS only for clutch type diffs. Clutch biasing and open use non LS. 75W90 for transaxles, 140 for rear ends (non Porsche apps).
Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Yep. LS only for clutch type diffs. Clutch biasing and open use non LS. 75W90 for transaxles, 140 for rear ends (non Porsche apps).
If it were for a street car with a clutch diff, I could see using the LS version of the oil. But is that what I would want for a race car?

Scott
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
67King
Race Car

If it were for a street car with a clutch diff, I could see using the LS version of the oil. But is that what I would want for a race car?

Scott
It is the version that most people want and use, there are a few exceptions. But if one is running without friction modifiers in his current gear oil, and is happy with it, I'm not going to tell him to change, though with few exceptions, the LS is recommended. But yes, it is what I run in my SP3 car, what Karl runs in his World Challege/GTB1 996, and what one of the Grand Am teams running a FWD applications have all been running.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

It is the version that most people want and use, there are a few exceptions. But if one is running without friction modifiers in his current gear oil, and is happy with it, I'm not going to tell him to change, though with few exceptions, the LS is recommended. But yes, it is what I run in my SP3 car, what Karl runs in his World Challege/GTB1 996, and what one of the Grand Am teams running a FWD applications have all been running.
Wouldn't the LS additive cause the diff to slip more though? I could see wanting that ONLY if I set my diff up to aggressively. Otherwise, why would you want your diff to slip more?

Scott
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
67King
Race Car

Otherwise, why would you want your diff to slip more?
So the car will turn. It won't affect breakaway torque, but once it is slipping, it will allow the axles to move at different speeds without chattering or other friction which would want to induce oversteer.

The biggest concern with LS modifyers in a transaxles is not the diff, it is actually the synchros, which need some degree of friction to work.

Of course, if the diff manufacturer says to avoid modifiers, I'd defer to their recommendation, just as I'd defer to the engine manufacturer's/builder's specification for oil voscosity.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Could I ask for you to follow up with the GT3 owner that was having "issues" to help us determine which of the 75w 90's would be best for our cars.

I'm about two events out from needing to change the fluids in my gear box again (currently running Mobil Delvac), the Millers products have me intrigued and I'd like to give them a shot starting with the gerabox in my GT3. However, I don't want whatever I put in there to cause issues with my LSD.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Smile Miller Oils

I have both raced against and been a customer of Karl Poetel. His racing selections have always put him at the head of the pack. When he asked us about becoming a dealer for Miller Oils at the PRI show last Dec , I had little hesitation.
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=397

WE will be switching our 968 racecar motor to Miller plus going to fill up
one of our 924DP racing transaxles with Miller.

Please continue to direct application/technical questions to Mr King.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor

Quick Reply: Nanotechnology in engine and gear oils - new company/sponsor intro