Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?

I am DE instructor and prefer my open face helmet (I don't race).
My GT3 has the Porsche factory recaro seats, 6 points, & half cage.
I have come to realize that I should be running a HANS as well.

Is it OK to use HANS with my open face helmet? I would think so but looking for input.

(not looking to get into a big debate about open face vs full face helmet please - only curious if it is a no-no to run HANS w open....).

Thanks!

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 06-20-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

No problems whatsoever. Plenty of open face helmets are compatible with the HANS. Just make sure your anchors are properly installed (use existing mount points in your helmet).
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Professor HANS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAVEAT I work for HANS Performance Products. Thank you for the opportunity to post in this forum.

CRex is correct, there is no problem using a HANS device with an open face helmet. The HANS system put the loads in an impact through the forehead, the strongest part of the face. It is the only head restraint designed this way and the only one that can be safely used with an open face helmet.

If you have any more questions on the HANS please feel free to phone us directly. Number is below. We're here to help! Or you can ask questions on our Facebook page - HANS Performance Products.

Gary Milgrom
VP HANS Performance
770-457-1046
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
I have come to realize that I should be running a HANS as well.

Is it OK to use HANS with my open face helmet? I would think so but looking for input.

(not looking to get into a big debate about open face vs full face helmet please - only curious if it is a no-no to run HANS w open....).

Thanks!
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but you may want to consider a Simpson/Safety Solutions Hybrid device instead of a HANS. They supposedly offer some protection from side impacts. I think that the HANS itself doesn't protect from side impacts/loads(but when used in conjunction with a halo seat all bases are covered so to speak). Necksgen is another to check into as well. Not sure if the hybrid and Necksgen are intended to work with open face, but if you're reevaluating your safety gear, you should probably look at all the alternatives.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the 6 points if they are ok for HANS.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
why wouldnt they be?

thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised by the responses, but I am not an expert. I would not do it. you better make sure you get your chin strap on tight or I could see you getting choked to death.

I really do not think it matters if your racing or doing DE, the speed in a DE is close to the same and the experience level in a DE is normally less than a race.

I commend you for thinking safety and if your using six point belts without a head neck restraint you are actually increasing your risk of pulling your brain stem out of your Mellon. as you are pinning your chest to the seat and the only thing that gives is your neck.

I second the consideration of looking into the safety solutions device, as it provides lateral support, Unless you are using a side net or halo seat.

Thinking about safety you have to look at it system wide otherwise you do not get the full benefit of the system components.

I speak from my own experience of course.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

PROFESSOR HANS: Are the other brands better than yours in a side impact?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
why wouldnt they be?

thanks
No reason. There are some that claim that 2" belts fit on the HANS better and are less likely to slip off. But neither HANS nor any of the harness manufacturers specify that a 2" belt must be used.

The main thing to be concerned about is that the belts are mounted properly.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but you may want to consider a Simpson/Safety Solutions Hybrid device instead of a HANS. They supposedly offer some protection from side impacts. I think that the HANS itself doesn't protect from side impacts/loads(but when used in conjunction with a halo seat all bases are covered so to speak). Necksgen is another to check into as well. Not sure if the hybrid and Necksgen are intended to work with open face, but if you're reevaluating your safety gear, you should probably look at all the alternatives.
So the tests are in 0 degree (frontal/straight in) and 30 degree (not total side impact and actually a pretty big frontal compenent). HANS does decrease the load in both of them however it is not as effective in the 30 degree impact (other devices like the Hybrid don't drop off as much or at all). I have yet to see anyone with a test for 90 degree (full side impact).

They all mount to the same location so I'm curious about Mr. Milgrom's comment that the other devices run the loads through a different part of the head/helmet interface.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My comment will have nothing to do with the question presented, but an observation on what I quoted. As an instructor, I was riding in what turned out to be a low speed rollover about a year-and-a-half ago. Damned glad I had a full face with visor down 100%. This was a ~20mph, 720 degree roll in an E36 M3, where the wheels caught in a muddy rut. Took me nearly 30 years of doing this to finally ditch the part-time open face, but no way I'm going back now.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

An open face helmet with a HANS has got to be safer than one without a HANS. As far as the competing head and neck restraint systems, until I see the big boys running with something other than HANS, I'm sticking with HANS. As Elliot Sadler how well it works.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The racers that wear HANS are using halo seats. The others mentioned may offer more protection for those of us who don't use halo seats.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 930 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
An open face helmet with a HANS has got to be safer than one without a HANS. As far as the competing head and neck restraint systems, until I see the big boys running with something other than HANS, I'm sticking with HANS. As Elliot Sadler how well it works.
You don't have to look very hard.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You don't have to look very hard.
Examples?

Quick Reply: HANS device for DE's - open face helmet OK?