Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

To much rear bias? :-)

-mike
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, he was driving it after his M3. In the E36's you come screaming into turn 1 while trail braking fairly deep. That just doesn't work in the pcar. I found it works better to brake about 10 feet sooner than the BMWs, but carry more speed. It certainly doesn't help that the beetle has a fairly "soft" setup on the suspension so we could figure it out. We are renting the track in a couple of weeks to get the car more dialed in. With soft compound R1's on it, we should be down to the 1:52-3 laptime range, which is only about a second or two slower than a WC prepped 997 Cup. Not too shabby for a third the price, eh?

Joe Bank did a similar slide through turn one on Saturday, but unfortunately hit the pit wall with both ends of his 993 Supercup. Sad to see such a nice car go, but it comes with the beast I'm afraid.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Something wrong with the car or driver if you can't trail brake a Cup.

-mike
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

How deep can you go into a turn under heavy braking? It could be our suspension setup. The car is wearing tires well, but about an inch too high front and rear. We are just getting to know the car. I've only got about 15 hours in it. My other driver has less than that.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Bad hearing but it looks like you were off the gas too long and got the old trailing throttle oversteer to me..
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

A GT3 cup that's an inch too high will be treacherous, and the rear will be tough to control.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

That's what I figured. Once I get the RSR bits on the way I'll get it lowered down.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 AM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
No, he was driving it after his M3. In the E36's you come screaming into turn 1 while trail braking fairly deep. That just doesn't work in the pcar. I found it works better to brake about 10 feet sooner than the BMWs, but carry more speed. It certainly doesn't help that the beetle has a fairly "soft" setup on the suspension so we could figure it out. We are renting the track in a couple of weeks to get the car more dialed in. With soft compound R1's on it, we should be down to the 1:52-3 laptime range, which is only about a second or two slower than a WC prepped 997 Cup. Not too shabby for a third the price, eh?

Joe Bank did a similar slide through turn one on Saturday, but unfortunately hit the pit wall with both ends of his 993 Supercup. Sad to see such a nice car go, but it comes with the beast I'm afraid.
I agree, trail braking is a bad idea in turn 1 at High Plains. Turn 1 likes to be rolled into so that you can fully load the car and get on the throttle.

Joe's slide was quite different than this. His was the result of putting 2 wheels off on track out in a high speed momentum run at the corner. After upsetting the car with the 2 wheels off, he experienced prolonged partial throttle oversteer ending up cross track left and in the wall. Normally, a slide in turn 1 ends you out in the grass, track right. It was very unfortunate.

Joe's Supercup "The Honet" will be back soon and better than when it left the factory. Cervelli is working on it and the tub is not that bad.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Little confused, that isn't a cup, perhaps a koni car? In which case I wonder what kind of diff it has. The lack of a LSD on my boxster has caught me out a couple of times in trail braking where the cup is solid and deep into the corner. Takes a bit to make the mental switch...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 AM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it is a MKII GT3. Note the non factory cage and sunroof.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

So the rumours I've been hearing are true, but nobody could tell me who it was, they just knew a Cup of some sort wrecked. So it was Joe's car that hit the wall last weekend, and at the only place on the whole track I can imagine being able to hit a wall. Saw a newbie in a Noble nearly do it once overcorrecting after coming in way too hot. Glad to hear he's ok and that the car is repairable.

I don't trail brake 1 at HPR. Chad describes it well.

ps. I think this is Scott Kuhne's old WC 996. If so, I built the LSD in the car. You could say that it is a 996 Cup spec LSD. And the car has been significantly re-sorted in other ways by the new owners.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

Yes it is Kuhnes car but I have de-Scott'ed it. My fastest run at HPR so far is a 1:58.8 on the R1's with 25 heat cycles. Can't wait to get back out on fresh rubber and better suspension setup. There is a bit too much rear camber as is (plus too high ride height).
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I trail brake the **** out of my 997 race car..

could be is sprung to soft and you get too much weight transfer with and aggressive braking... but too many variable and i dont know the track.

These street p cars have almost ZERO rear bias, so i dont think thats the issue.

my .02 is too little toe in on the rear or too softly sprung.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

btw nice hands by the driver

Quick Reply: Don't trail brake your beetle