Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear vs Hoosier?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 04:20 AM
winders
Race Car

Default Goodyear vs Hoosier?

Does anyone here have any experience running both of these bias-ply slick tires:

Goodyear R430 compound
Hoosier R45B Compound

I want to find how these tires compare in lap times and number of heat cycles they last.

The class I race in has a spec tire setup as follows:

Front Part Number: Goodyear 1653 (23.5 x 11.5 x 16, R430 compound)
Rear Part Number: Goodyear 1570 (25 x 13 x 16, R430 compound)

We are looking at alternatives that might last longer and have better availability and lower our tire costs. These Hoosiers are something we are looking at:

Front Part Number: Hoosier 43480 (23.5 x 11.5 x 16, R45B or R35B)
Rear Part Number: Hoosier 43497 (25 x 13 x 16, R45B)

The goal is to find a tire setup that will last longer than the Goodyear tires we are running now. We are willing to sacrifice a few seconds a lap to get that. Goodyear has a harder compound but it is even harder to get than the compound we use so that is not an option.

The tire cost appears to be comparable so the Hoosier tires would have to last noticeably longer to make switching worth while.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott
Old 06-11-2012 | 09:54 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

I ran these tires for many years in SCCA with my 914.
Now, taking into account my car was only 1800#'s it may be hard to make a comparison.
I can tell you that the two brands seem very similar with the exception that the Hoosiers seem to have had more grip out of the box. I never wore through a any tire on my 914 but did discard them beacuse of excess heat cycles.
Camber and air pressure setups were almost indentical but in the end ,after winning a divisional championship with Goodyears they were very good to me with contingency offerings so I stayed with them.
The one thing I think differentiated the two brands were the rain tires.In my opinion and in the opinion of many others Hoosier made a far better bias ply rain tire.
If it rained at the SCCA Runoffs, Hoosier had a field day and probably put the majority of the drivers on the podium.
I don't run bias plys any longer as they are not made for the car in my avatar....so for me radial slicks are a new experience for me.
For a while 10+ years ago, Goodyear sent some of their manufacturing to Chile which turned out to be a disaster in terms of quality control.
I believe they brought everything back to the "states" after learning a valuable lesson the hard way.
All things being equal I'm not sure either tire would be a bad choice. Track support/ contingency can be important considerations as well as any plans either might have for product development or longevity of the line.
Tom B.
Old 06-11-2012 | 02:05 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Tom B:

In what area did you have the experiences to which you referred? Are there folks from that area that you think could shed further light on differences, whether they run Porsches or not?

In our area (NorCal), we did not have any major issues with the Goodyears made outside of the US. We have had availability issues from time to time during the past 10 or so years.

I don't think rain is a variable worth considering for the spec class to which Scott refers.

I like to see that picture of Super Dave's car... brings back memories. I have not seen in person it in a long time. What size tires is it set up to run? Many cars are set up to run 17 or 18 inch wheels with lots of negative camber (say 2 degrees and more) and costs can be high to convert them to a 16 inch wheel and only modest negative camber (0 to 1.5 degrees).
Old 06-11-2012 | 02:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I remember we had some trouble with the GY tires made in Chile. We were running them on a FC car. I can't remember what most of the problems, were, but I do remember the roll out varied more than on the USA tires.
Old 06-11-2012 | 05:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by tomburdge
I can tell you that the two brands seem very similar with the exception that the Hoosiers seem to have had more grip out of the box
For what we have heard, the Hoosier R45B compound is harder than the Goodyear R430 compound and is at least a second slower per 2:00 minute lap.

What we want to found out is how many heats cycles the Hoosier lasts versus the Goodyear and to get a better time of lap time difference.

Scott
Old 06-11-2012 | 05:56 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Tom B:

In what area did you have the experiences to which you referred? Are there folks from that area that you think could shed further light on differences, whether they run Porsches or not?

In our area (NorCal), we did not have any major issues with the Goodyears made outside of the US. We have had availability issues from time to time during the past 10 or so years.

I don't think rain is a variable worth considering for the spec class to which Scott refers.

I like to see that picture of Super Dave's car... brings back memories. I have not seen in person it in a long time. What size tires is it set up to run? Many cars are set up to run 17 or 18 inch wheels with lots of negative camber (say 2 degrees and more) and costs can be high to convert them to a 16 inch wheel and only modest negative camber (0 to 1.5 degrees).
All my GY (Chile) experiences took place on the east coast and had to do with blow outs on the track.Happened to me twice , both times during the high speeds at Pocono.Kinda scarey.
Please understand, this was many years ago (10+) and does not necessarily reflect on the tires they make today. Like I said I think they learned a lesson regarding quality control.
Back during that time we had production cars running a mix of both brands with winners (and losers) using both.
Today, most winning production cars are either Miata's or Integra's...a changing of the guard you might say but I'm not sure which is the tire of choice.
Dave's car,( which I am now the proud owner of) resides here in NJ with me...but it is still getting accustomed to the climate change.
The car is now set-up to run 16's front and 18's rear for which GY no longer makes a tire. I run Hoosier radial slicks and like any otrher radial they like alot more camber than bias ply.
The 'purple monster" as I like to call it ,is a beautiful car and so well put together. Truely a labor of love on Dave's part.
We are still getting to know one another but I'm hoping to drive it to many podium finishes.
Tom B.
Old 06-11-2012 | 10:41 PM
sig_a
Pro

interesting here regarding bias ply slicks, though doubtful for size limitation.

http://www.americanraceronline.com/A.../modified.html

MODIFIED - ASPHALT TRACK - RACING TIRES

TIRE SIZE 23.5/10.0-15S

TREAD TYPE SLICK

TREAD WIDTH 10

SECTION WIDTH 11

APPROX.
DIA 23.8

APPROX. CIRC. 75

DESIGN RIM 9-10

WT. 15.0

Quick Reply: Goodyear vs Hoosier?