Sponsored by:

Converting BSR to GT Racer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric,
These pics are great. The body looks awesome and my mouth is agape looking at the dual master brake system and larger rotors. Can't wait to see and more importantly hear (dyno video) more.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Looking amazing! Congrats on the dedication!
Can I ask why you're running drilled instead of slotted rotors?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Eric,
These pics are great. The body looks awesome and my mouth is agape looking at the dual master brake system and larger rotors. Can't wait to see and more importantly hear (dyno video) more.
Thanks. Definately looking forward to dialing in the brakes! Unfortunately, the first event for the car at Laguna Seca aug.24-26 has a 92db limit. So the good sounds will be have to wait until afterwards. Might end up with a stock Cayman S exhaust for now
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by HiWind
Looking amazing! Congrats on the dedication!
Can I ask why you're running drilled instead of slotted rotors?
Thanks, should be a long weekend. Just waiting for PL to qualify his NASCAR so I can head into the shop.
Currently have the drilled rotors on because I had a new set of them laying around the shop. The rears are Sebro slotted and I'll be using them in the front after this first set is worn out. Eventually will have some two piece rotors made when I run out of other stuff to do down the road.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523

Basic parts I collected for the project:
Got a 3.6L M96 motor that had an IMS failure at 49k miles.
Picked up a G86.20 Boxster S 6-speed trans that was built for a GA car with steel synchs and short 3-6 gears.
Got a set of 4 front Sachs double adjust cup shocks.
Also acquired a Pectel ECU and Motec CDL dash.

Expecting to get 315-330rwhp out of the car with 91 octane, a bit more on race gas. Will likely limit the car in the 305-315 range to keep the car weight down between 2750-2850lbs. When running the car uncorked, it could potentially be at 345 and 2650.
Eric,

it is really cool project. Did you have previous experience rebuilding M96?
What was the reasonning behind choosing Pectel? Does it also provide ABS and knock prevention as stock ECU does? Can you say a bit more about decision making process here?
Also, about rods, why Carillo and not R&R? Did you do anything to cooling passages, gaskets, etc? How many hours it took?

I understand you do have a whole facility - is this somthing doable in a regular small garage or you do need immediate access to specific machinery an amateur has no access to?
I used to help on old BMW motors when my uncle worked on rebuilding them and my hands are intching to try myself on my M96 but i am afraid if I try to tke it apart it may exceed my level of incompetence to put it all back together.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Eric,

it is really cool project. Did you have previous experience rebuilding M96?
What was the reasonning behind choosing Pectel? Does it also provide ABS and knock prevention as stock ECU does? Can you speak more about decision making process here?
Also, about rods,
Hey Paul,
Yes, we've rebuilt a number of M96 motors in the shop. When the cars were new, we simply installed remanufactured motors from Porsche because they were so affordable but as prices rose we began repairing and rebuilding them in house. They are much simpler and cheaper than than the dry sump motors.
The motor I started with was one we had accepted as a core motor several years ago. It just happened to be the most practical route to put it in the car for the class I wanted to run. The leakdown numbers were good so we reused the valves, repaired the IMS shaft with some machine work, replaced the IMS bearing, did some work on the cylinders heads to promote some air velocity, a fancy valve job, Carillo rods with carr bolts, some minor things to increase oiling, a dual chamber motorsports style oil separator, and a few other things.
We do plan to dry sump this motor in the future but I'll share more about that when the time comes.

I originally had a Motec M800 ECU for the car and I'm a big fan of Motec but it is pretty pricey. I had a current customer interested in a stand alone and the Pectel is currently more affordable and does offer more options than the older Motec unit. I sold off the Motec and picked up a Pectel to keep things easy and consistent, as well as picking up a few features. It does not control ABS but can handle knock control and traction control if desired. The custom wiring harnesses built from scratch, Pectel ECU, Motec CDL, the wireless and CAN bus networks, and all of the data acquisition sensors are really one the best parts of the car and likely over $20k to duplicate. They really are very important in a dedicated race car but not something I would consider for a double duty DE car.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Can you share something about valve job? We can go into PMs if you wish, I am not a shop, just a car geek so info will not go to anythere else.

I do not plan a lot of work, just a 'preamptive' fixes - split the block, put in ceramic IMS bearing, new rods with proper bolts, probably new bearings, new chain (or fix tensioner) as I get more rattle now - engine has 60k now and I got it with 40k miles on it, so it is 20k miles from sport events only and driving to/from events.
I will do leak test later this year, imho it pulls now not as strong as last year, so, it will determine my plan as I will not be able to do cylinder replacements to big bore myself. It is just such a pain to deal with this stuff, prices on any M96 work are pretty astronomical no matter where to look.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Can you share something about valve job? We can go into PMs if you wish, I am not a shop, just a car geek so info will not go to anythere else.

I do not plan a lot of work, just a 'preamptive' fixes - split the block, put in ceramic IMS bearing, new rods with proper bolts, probably new bearings, new chain (or fix tensioner) as I get more rattle now - engine has 60k now and I got it with 40k miles on it, so it is 20k miles from sport events only and driving to/from events.
I will do leak test later this year, imho it pulls now not as strong as last year, so, it will determine my plan as I will not be able to do cylinder replacements to big bore myself. It is just such a pain to deal with this stuff, prices on any M96 work are pretty astronomical no matter where to look.
Well I don't have much to share on the valve job. There are various ways, numbers of cuts, and angles that people use and our team just has our own way of doing it. It's not something my engine builder shares even with many people that purchase an engine really. So I hope you understand in that regard. I try and share a lot about the fun or interesting stuff we've done to my car but there are still some stuff that racers don't always open up on. And there are also a handful of things I try on my car that get tested before ever recommending or offering up. What may be good for my motor that sees under 10k miles before rebuild isn't appropriate for a car that wants to see 100k miles.
I think M96 prices are pretty cheap compared to other Porsche motors. Less labor hours, cheaper parts, easier to get parts, cheaper/easier to make more more power than an air-cooled motor. I think they just sound expensive relative to the overall value of the cars they are found in. But there are also plenty of racers with $20-$25k air cooled motors in a car worth about the same.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i totally understand, i was just curious.
I really like to read about such projects and I agree as an engine M96 is quite underestimated while in reality it is a pretty capable motor, after all most critical internal issues get addressed.
it just does not seem a lot of shops got their hands on it yet. plus, compared to M54 bmw motor rebuild prices are still pretty crazy, and for no good reason, IMHO.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Eric, you going to make Laguna??
Were working on another new exhaust, hopefully we get it right this time, shooting for 90 db and nothing visible from the outside.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Eric, you going to make Laguna??
Were working on another new exhaust, hopefully we get it right this time, shooting for 90 db and nothing visible from the outside.
Yeah I'm definitely trying. I'm registered and planning on bringing the car with me but I'll be there either way. Working at the shop over the weekend trying to get the motor in. Should be up and running on Wednesday so we can start tuning the ECU. Won't have any testing time but we'll have to wing it. I just want to drive the thing again!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Boxilla and I have subscribed to this thread. One day when I get my daughters through college I will do something similar to Boxilla so I can chase all those RS boys around Sebring. :-))
Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM
eric523
Pro

more custom goods

Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
eric523
Pro

fuel distribution block for supply, pressure regulator, temp gauge, and return.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
eric523
Pro

and fuel pressure

Quick Reply: Converting BSR to GT Racer