Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Video - Enduro and Sprint

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice hand in the lap pass.... Relaxed is good!.. Kinda like you had planned that pass 3 laps before you did it!..

Nice driving.. EEeeeiii WWwwaaaa..
Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is that car so much faster than other cup cars. I know a lot of it is the driver but it seems like your flying by similar cars in the same class... Just wondering
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kingleh
Nice hand in the lap pass.... Relaxed is good!.. Kinda like you had planned that pass 3 laps before you did it!..

Nice driving.. EEeeeiii WWwwaaaa..
Thanks! Peter was cruising when I caught up. He then kicked it up and dropped 1.5 seconds a lap or so. I figured I had time so waited till i Could get close enough. He was coming off the corners strong, and has a later model with just a little more power so it was hard to get a run. T1 was a good place, if I could get by there I knew a good run through the esses would open up a gap. It was a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
How is that car so much faster than other cup cars. I know a lot of it is the driver but it seems like your flying by similar cars in the same class... Just wondering
I realized I didn't specify the 2 videos are of 2 different cars. It might be hard to tell at a glance since the incar looks similar. The 2nd clip is from our 2008 Grand-Am 997 cup. It has some of the 2009 updates including cup s front fenders/bumper, and RSR diagonals. We are running a 3.8l with headers. (the same spec as the current 2010 and later cup) It still has the crawford wing which isn't great but works ok. It should be similar in performance to a 2nd gen 2010< cup. We are planning on some body work updates next.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wicked driving, Cory.
It's really impressive to me how close you can keep that car on the edge and rarely step over.
Spooks me how fast you're going through the esses. Training video for the future for us.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
I realized I didn't specify the 2 videos are of 2 different cars. It might be hard to tell at a glance since the incar looks similar. The 2nd clip is from our 2008 Grand-Am 997 cup. It has some of the 2009 updates including cup s front fenders/bumper, and RSR diagonals. We are running a 3.8l with headers. (the same spec as the current 2010 and later cup) It still has the crawford wing which isn't great but works ok. It should be similar in performance to a 2nd gen 2010< cup. We are planning on some body work updates next.
Thanks for sharing the videos Cory! It was very helpful to me as I was just there for the first time last week and it was nice seeing some video of a Cup running.. I just had data to look at from my test.

If you don't mind, what tires were you running in the second video (Grand-Am spec car) and what MPH were you hitting when you braked for the bus stop? Just trying to see how it compares to the GTC car I drove (w/ the bloody restrictor)!

Cheers,

-mike
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks cory
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Wicked driving, Cory.
It's really impressive to me how close you can keep that car on the edge and rarely step over.
Spooks me how fast you're going through the esses. Training video for the future for us.
Thanks Paul! The car was feeling good. That is the perfect track for a cup car.

Originally Posted by fleadh
Thanks for sharing the videos Cory! It was very helpful to me as I was just there for the first time last week and it was nice seeing some video of a Cup running.. I just had data to look at from my test.

If you don't mind, what tires were you running in the second video (Grand-Am spec car) and what MPH were you hitting when you braked for the bus stop? Just trying to see how it compares to the GTC car I drove (w/ the bloody restrictor)!

Cheers,

-mike
Hi Mike,
I believe The top end was between 160.5-161.2 I'd have to look a the data to be sure. We are using a GPS beacon so the numbers should be fairly accurate. I was running on Pirelli's. 2nd cycle on the tires in the video. (new in race 1 and the same set for race 2) How quick was the GTC car there? You should have raced with us instead of just testing.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coryf
I believe The top end was between 160.5-161.2 I'd have to look a the data to be sure. We are using a GPS beacon so the numbers should be fairly accurate. I was running on Pirelli's. 2nd cycle on the tires in the video. (new in race 1 and the same set for race 2) How quick was the GTC car there? You should have raced with us instead of just testing.
My best (and last of the 25 or so I did) was a 1:57.8, Spencer did a 1:57.0 in the car before me. We were running on scrub Yokohamas from the Laguna ALMS event. We didn't really play with setup either as I was just there to learn the track.. both cars were having really bad understeer. They had a Rolex car there too- I didn't drive it until the next day at Mid-O. I think the best time in it for the day was a 1:54.0 but don't know the condition of the tires. The guys who had been there before thought the track was pretty green.

I'd have loved to run the PCA race, but didn't have anything to drive and was to short notice to have them bring my car with them!

Really liked the track though.. looking forward to getting back there at the end of the month in the Ferrari.

-mike
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike-

My best time in my IMSA Spec '08 was 1:57.1 (2 cycle Michelin's) but I'm sure Cory could knock at least a second off of that as he did about .5 second faster in an '06 or '07.....

Best speed on back straight was 156 after being flat in the esses.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

A GTC car should run about the same lap as a Grand-Am on Conti's.. Actually at some of the same tracks last year the GTC cars was faster then Rolex GT.... The Tire is the difference (about 2 seconds)..

I am not sure why Spence only did a 57... He was able to turn 53s last year...
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kingleh
A GTC car should run about the same lap as a Grand-Am on Conti's.. Actually at some of the same tracks last year the GTC cars was faster then Rolex GT.... The Tire is the difference (about 2 seconds)..

I am not sure why Spence only did a 57... He was able to turn 53s last year...
Ya, I had done some research to get an idea what lap times should be before I showed up. After my first 5 or 6 laps I came in with only a 1:58.6 and was like WTF.. I didn't think there was 4+ more seconds in the car. I asked Spencer to go out to set me a baseline and that was all she wrote. Everyone kept saying the track felt really green, so maybe it had rained the day before we showed up or something.

Given his time, I wasn't to disappointed w/ a 57.8. All my time lost was in the bus stop and the last 2 corners.

Btw, looking at the data, on my best lap terminal speed when braking for the bus stop was 160.3 mph w/ the GTC restrictor. Esses were not completely flat as there was to much understeer in the first section up the hill.

-mike

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Video - Enduro and Sprint