Sponsored by:

Arm restraints

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012 | 01:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Default Arm restraints

I'm tired of them sliding around on my arms. I'm thinking about sewing them onto my suit but the SFI tag is on the back. Anyone else done it? Even if I can get a pass on that, what happens when they expire?
Old 06-07-2012 | 02:26 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Duct tape?

I find my cockpit is so damn tight, I can't even crack my knuckles, let alone wave my arms around enough to slip those things loose... but I can understand the problem...

Maybe next suit with the built-in restraints?
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

In the over 20 years I've driven open top cars in SCCA no one has ever asked to see the the build dates on my arm restraints. They just make sure I have them on as I sit in the false grid. Don't think its one of those safety devices with a limited shelf life and is treated similar to shoes, gloves etc. ...but they must be in sound working condition.
With respect to your arm restraints, I've always worn them on my wrist, never my upper forearm or bicep.Another one of those things that have no written rule on how they must be worn...but if you wear them on your arms and not your wrist your arms can still travel beyond the confines of the car so whats the sense? Try it and you will see what I mean.
Wearing them on your wrist prevents this and you still have plenty of flexibility to steer, shift and reach other important things in the car.
The only thing you can't do well with arm restraints worn on your wrist is give point bye's to the right (over the roof) during DE events. Not a big deal in my opinion.
Hope this helps.
Tom B.
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Some suits have the ring sewn into them at the elbow and the restraint clips onto that. That way you still only need to replace the straps. May be a better option.
Old 06-07-2012 | 04:11 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

I've got the same problem. I wear mine on my forearm, right at the base of my elbow. Keeps them out of the way of the shifter and sway bar adjusters, but by about half race distance they start sliding down and I have to constantly adjust them. Someday I'll get around to sewing them on. My thought was to use only a few threads on the edge such that they don't have the ability to slide and if need be I can cut them off easily if I buy a new suit.
Old 06-07-2012 | 04:59 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Wonder how many SPB Racers remove them on the out lap?
Old 06-07-2012 | 08:54 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Nah, they wouldn't do that.

Old 06-07-2012 | 09:51 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Wonder how many SPB Racers remove them on the out lap?
I wish that NASA,PCA,SCCA would allow a roof net in place of arm restraints, in my opinion it would be safer since I know a number of current drivers of Fiberglass top cars that always mysteriously have them just fall off on the out lap, that's not really safe, although it does get passed the arm restraint rule, the restraints falling off isn't really the safest way to go. A top roll cage net would be slightly more cost if you wanted to do it that way, but much safer than warm up lap only arm restraints.

For most people it's a mental thing of having there hands tied up, it just doesn't feel right at first.

See page 19 http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/2011_Catalog.pdf
Teamtech will also custom make a new as you so desire.
Old 06-07-2012 | 10:12 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I don't notice them once I'm out on track. They usually end up at my wrist. It's a little weird but once your going they disappear. I did have to shake one off that really could not deal with. I think it was too loose and sliding around. Every other time they stay on. I like my arms.
Old 06-07-2012 | 11:28 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Streak
I don't notice them once I'm out on track. They usually end up at my wrist. It's a little weird but once your going they disappear. I did have to shake one off that really could not deal with. I think it was too loose and sliding around. Every other time they stay on. I like my arms.
I like my arms too, that's why I wish they would allow the roof top net, I think that's an equal, or possibly even, safer option.

I've driven with them as well and you do get use to them, and I shuffle steer, but it would be one less thing to do getting in and out if you had a top net. To me a faster potential exit is a good thing !
Old 06-07-2012 | 11:31 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I like my arms too, that's why I wish they would allow the roof top net, I think that's an equal, or possibly even, safer option.

I've driven with them as well and you do get use to them, and I shuffle steer, but it would be one less thing to do getting in and out if you had a top net. To me a faster potential exit is a good thing !
They don't impede my exit at all but they are one more thing to do getting in.
Old 06-08-2012 | 12:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm fortinate enough to have never turtled a car, but I'm guessing a roof net could make it harder to get out if you did. Not sure I would want to find out.
Old 06-08-2012 | 02:25 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm fortinate enough to have never turtled a car, but I'm guessing a roof net could make it harder to get out if you did. Not sure I would want to find out.
Very valid point.
I guess you could have some net quick releases on the net for ease of removal should you turtle it.

More than one way to do things obviously and I guess they all have pros and cons dependent on how you crash, roll, catch fire, etc. I guess I really like the top roll cage netting as an option for the people that remove the arm restraints on out lap because no arm restraints and no top net leaves you wide open to losing an arm,hand,finger.

It's not a big deal to me, but the OP had a concern with them sliding around which could be a distraction in the car which isn't a good thing for sure.
Old 06-08-2012 | 09:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree it's a really bad idea to take them off.
Old 06-08-2012 | 10:20 AM
jittsl
Racer

I really can't see any issue with simply stitching the arm bands into your suit if it really bothers you.

I wear mine around my forearms and I have never had an issue on track. Once rolling I've got more important things to worry about.

Having said that, I cannot count the number of times I almost forgot to put them on and end up in a scramble to do so.

Quick Reply: Arm restraints