Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! How much clearance between cage and helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

For those who mentioned pedal extensions, I just happened across this blog. Made me wonder about that seat too. Sorta looks pretty good.
Anyone have any experiences with an Alu seat? I'd be concerned that they'd bend during impact but I guess 1000's of Nascar drivers might disagree?

http://newhillgarage.com/2012/05/31/...lly-nice-seat/
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pics.

So, to clarify: No cusions on the seat. Side mounts and sliders are installed with the seat in the lowest, most reclined, position possible.

The first two pics are of clearance with the seat BACK as far as possible. I have plenty of helmet clearance, but I cannot push the clutch in all the way with my *** fully in the seat.

The LAST pic, is of the seat forward enough just so I can push the clutch in all the way, but if I lean forward, I hit the roll bar, both the front and the side bars.

We came up with a temporary solution till I weld in pedal extensions. If I put the fat thigh cushions up vertically behind my butt (as a spacer) with the seat all the way back, I have helmet clearance, and I can just push the clutch all the way in. Not super happy with this configuration, but I'll be able to autox and maybe do a light DE day until I can extend the pedals.

I think I'll be able to get away without a wheel extension, as I can still manhandle the manual steering rack and small wheel even when I'm all the way back.
Attached Images      
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Clearly you can't run in the forward position. Did you see that link in my last post? Scroll down to the bottom pic and that will give you an idea for a basic solution.

Quick Reply: Need help! How much clearance between cage and helmet?