AIM Solo, Replay XD1080, and TrackVision

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 800 Likes on 397 Posts
Default AIM Solo, Replay XD1080, and TrackVision

Folks,

I am getting to the point where I want to include data from my AIM Solo (not Solo DL) in videos I get from my Replay XD1080 camera.

Anyone have practical experience using AIM Solo data, Replay XD1080 720p video, and TrackVision?

How about just the AIM Solo and TrackVision? Any hints and tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Scott, I think the quality of the Replay XD (720p) and the TrackVision would be great! You do need a camera to generate video, you have the Solo to generate and export the data so that it can be overlaid onto the video, and Trackvision is slicker software than DashWare, IMO.

The person to talk to is Tony at Trackvision. The learning curve will not be in the hardware, it'll be in developing a workflow to combine all the stuff efficiently and without too much time or frustration.

Looking forward to seeing some of your performances on track, soon!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Unless AIM has given Tony the positional data to auto-sync the two you will be spending a lot of time (and frustration) doing it manually. I tried it with my Pista, hated the whole exercise, and bought the SmartyCam.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Here is a post saying AIM is now supplying the GPS coordinates needed and that Tony's latest release (V2.2) includes the ability to automate the process, which makes it a perfect, low-cost solution for Scott and others.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-released.html

Scott, you have a camera now, why get the Replay XD?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't see what the big deal is..

I have a Pista/MXL and have no issues syncing up the data with video from my GoPro.. I liked that Traqmate had a friction circle to use as an additional guide, but then again, when I am syncing AIM data against a flying lap.. Seems quicker actually. The start finish line is awfully handy and making micro-movements makes it quick.

Its important that you map the AIM field names against the ones that TrackVision wants to see. There is a sample file for AIM, but there might one or two fields that you need to change. You have to check. They will cheerfully do it for you if you send it to them, but it was easy enough to do myself. All clearly spelled out.

Using the dozens of dashes, modifying one to your liking or building one from scratch is incredibly easy and well designed. As a software architect I know clear well written software when I see it.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Folks,

I am getting to the point where I want to include data from my AIM Solo (not Solo DL) in videos I get from my Replay XD1080 camera.

Anyone have practical experience using AIM Solo data, Replay XD1080 720p video, and TrackVision?

How about just the AIM Solo and TrackVision? Any hints and tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott
I run Aim Solo DL, GoPro HD, and Trackvision. I've also done it with an Aim Solo (non DL). I'm real happy with the setup. If you have any questions, you can PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

if you are a lazy person (as i am) - get a smartycam. it is easier to have 0 post-processing required and video that is ready for you right from the memory card.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syncing is a snap when the data has a start/finish position that matches the start/finish stripe on the track.
- Move the data to the start of the first recorded lap [aka the first crossing of start/finish]
- Move the video to the first time across the start/finish stripe on track
- DONE!
Syncing used to be tricky for AiM users before GPS data became available over two years ago, but those days are long gone.
The Replay XD 720 @60fps is what I've been using for years now. It produces very nice quality HD video and solid audio from the built-in mic.
The new Replay XD remote is a winner. Aside from the nice power/start record switch it has a trigger line that is easy to hook up to most loggers. When the logger starts recording data, it triggers the camera to start recording and both files are very close to perfectly synced straight from the card. Easy peasy. It also has a remote mic jack which I have yet to try.

There are lots of choices for video and data, including SmartyCam, TrackVision and many others. There's a good fit for everyone in that bunch.

Last edited by APKhaos; 05-28-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM
jrj3rd
Track Day

Default Someday....

[QUOTE=APKhaos;9567099]The new Replay XD remote is a winner. Aside from the nice power/start record switch it has a trigger line that is easy to hook up to most loggers. When the logger starts recording data, it triggers the camera to start recording and both files are very close to perfectly synced straight from the card. Easy peasy. It also has a remote mic jack which I have yet to try.

QUOTE]

Would be if they ever released it to the public. Still not on thier site and they don't answer emails anymore it seems...
Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 800 Likes on 397 Posts

I purchased TrackVision 2.2 and had my first video synced with the corresponding AIM Solo data rather quickly. It's not the easiest process to figure out but now that I have done it should be simple moving forward.

Scott
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a video taken from two weeks ago using an AIM EVO4, Trackvision 2.2 and a ReplayXD1080. The only hiccup so far is getting the external mic input to work on the XD1080. From what Replay have said, it requires a powered mic, but am not sure how to get a powered mic in the car. Anyhow, here is the vid:

A funny side note, I created the original AIM Dash for my own use on Trackvision (modified it from the Racepak one) and the guys at TV incorporated it in 2.2 and were nice enough to give credit for it.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 PM
teamking
Pro

I've been using RaceRender with my AIM SOLO and Replay XD1080. Don't know how it compares to TrackVision, but it's pretty easy to sync the two inputs. Rendering takes a while, but my laptop is old and slow. Here's video/data from Tuesday at Summit Point:

http://youtu.be/ol7vZimnWrg?hd=1
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Here is a video taken from two weeks ago using an AIM EVO4, Trackvision 2.2 and a ReplayXD1080. The only hiccup so far is getting the external mic input to work on the XD1080. From what Replay have said, it requires a powered mic, but am not sure how to get a powered mic in the car. Anyhow, here is the vid:

A funny side note, I created the original AIM Dash for my own use on Trackvision (modified it from the Racepak one) and the guys at TV incorporated it in 2.2 and were nice enough to give credit for it.
I like the Dash!

Here are my settings (in XD1080.txt) for the XD1080:

BR:M
EV:-2
SHRP:3
AE:A
AWB:2
CTST:48
SAT:50
MIC:33
FPS:60

By turning down the exposure (EV) and microphone gain (MIC), I get better pictures and audio (maybe some of the other settings as well). YMMV, but try playing with the settings a little bit.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Here's a link to some video taken with an XD1080 using AiM Solo data. Only difference is that I used RaceRender to make the video instead of Trackvision. Synching isn't hard, though sometimes it's not perfect if you don't spend more than a few minutes to make sure it's right. The only change I made the stock XD1080 settings is to change to spot metering so that the outside wasn't overexposed.

Watch on Youtube for HD:

Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone using dashware? I've got the new 1.3 version and works fine except for RPM. I sent my file to them (Rolf) and he said it worked fine on his side ie RPM did. Any ideas what setting I could have wrong? help!

Quick Reply: AIM Solo, Replay XD1080, and TrackVision