Sponsored by:

does spec e36 exist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I saw several pre-built E46 cars online from $48k to $27k. Those listed above for mid-30k are indeed a reasonable starting point. All I need now is to figure out what to do with a current one as it will take time to either sell as is or put it back to stock and then sell. Will see.
My ultimate plan would be to keep 997 for street but wife will not let me to keep 2 toys at same time, so, will see.
I definitely will go with a pre-built car, it is easier.
This was kind of my point to begin with, the costs you are seeing and now discussing are more what you will spend. To think you would get on track before for 20k just wasn't close.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Add about 15% to the cost of a pre-built race car for stuff you will want to add or change. Seat, harnesses, data system, wheels, quick release,... I can't say what it will be for you, but I can almost guarantee that there will be some things you will "invest" in with an already built car.
Always true !
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

just spoke with another firend whos opinion is to forget E46, put a cage into this tub i have, add rear wing and front aero and then just buy a rebuilt spare x51 M96 motor as those from 996 cars are cheap enough (where i disagree) and should last long enough after refresh with IMS upgrade and good rods and he says they work just fine with my C2 ECU as it`s all same stuff anyway. all those options are really messing up my head.
i need to sort it out on my own and add up some numbers, thank you so much everybody who took time to advice, it is a great place here indeed. it`s always more than one way to skin a cat, i`ll need to think a bit about it all.
The M96 (especially the X51) engine properly prepared is a reasonably reliable motor, anything can go given it's pushed hard enough, abused or not maintained.

Lots of options out there, that's good, and bad sometimes. No real right or wrong answer as to which to pick, that's everyone's personal preference. It is important to get what fits into your plans,goals, and budget for your continued successes, whether they be just driving on track bettering your own times or racing wheel to wheel.

Look at all the options and prices and decide what's best for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
The M96 (especially the X51) engine properly prepared is a reasonably reliable motor, anything can go given it's pushed hard enough, abused or not maintained.

Lots of options out there, that's good, and bad sometimes. No real right or wrong answer as to which to pick, that's everyone's personal preference. It is important to get what fits into your plans,goals, and budget for your continued successes, whether they be just driving on track bettering your own times or racing wheel to wheel.

Look at all the options and prices and decide what's best for you.
well, i just need to find out what is it exactly in a monetary equivalent - a 'properly prepared x51 M96 engine' - means a X51 M96(M97) rebuilt by Jake Raby or same level shop. I sent email to Flat6 but got no response from them yet.
my current motor has total from 50 to 60 track/AX hours on it - not very much but not 'virgin' either. And i do not want to total it to be left with no core.

Suncoast had some M97 3.8L X51 crates for sell last year but they were going for a comparable amount of what I paid for my C2 in 2009. Those 'prepared' x51 M96 are like unicorns - everybody say they do exist but no one actually saw them.
I agree it is easier to find a spec boxster engine, but i am in 997. so, not sure.
Don`t get me wrong - i like this car but it is a PITA sometimes.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

well, i just need to find out what is it exactly in a monetary equivalent - a 'properly prepared x51 M96 engine' - means a X51 M96(M97) rebuilt by Jake Raby or same level shop. I sent email to Flat6 but got no response from them yet.
my current motor has total from 50 to 60 track/AX hours on it - not very much but not 'virgin' either. And i do not want to total it to be left with no core.

Suncoast had some M97 3.8L X51 crates for sell last year but they were going for a comparable amount of what I paid for my C2 in 2009. Those 'prepared' x51 M96 are like unicorns - everybody say they do exist but no one actually saw them.
I agree it is easier to find a spec boxster engine, but i am in 997. so, not sure.
Don`t get me wrong - i like this car but it is a PITA sometimes.
PM JR, he usually knows of some M96 engine deals out there on the West coast.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Start an entire new discussion on this, but.. It's always cheaper to buy it already built than build it yourself. I bought my E36 Race car 18months ago ready to race w/ a good bit of extras for just under $20k. And to viking yes it is fairly competitive as I have one of those lap records for NASA with it.

So back to the OP.. You said a budget of $20K. That is E36 race car. or E46 Car

Yes an E46 is much better. Way better engine out of the box. But to make it a race car you can double your budget. at least. You may find a E46 race car in the $40-$50k built.

That Yellow E36 is a nice car. If it is built as well as it looks that is a great $. The S54 engine swap on that is $10k+ alone... I wanted to do that on mine but it was too rich$.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
Start an entire new discussion on this, but.. It's always cheaper to buy it already built than build it yourself.
It is always initially cheaper to buy an already built car, I'm not sure that it is always cheaper long term, and not a better way to go.

Buying new, or building new, you know what you have in the car and has been done. Also factor in that you have a 100% life of all that you installed vs say a car you must rebuild shocks in after the first race, 50% life left on used race motor, 50% life till new brake caliper rebuild, brg replacement , Harnesses and seats that are about to out date, etc etc.
So cheaper initially buying used ? Yes.
Best value ? I'm not so sure.
I think you buy what you can live with.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Are Jake Raby`s projects really worth their price and are de-facto only place to get this job done or are there any comparable but more reasonably priced rebuilders on the east coast that also do big bores with rods/bolt/camshaft replacements and balancing?

I only knew of Auto Strasse but it is west coast and they are imho not in same league with Flat6. Who else is well known to deal with M96 track oriented rebuilds?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Max had a lot of parts in the car and it was a deal for that reason, I think maybe it's history had hurt the price, didn't that car go on it's lid or get involved in some other incident ? I know at Nationals last year it had a few corners knicked, of course 95% of the field had damage after last years Nationals week. I still love Max's graphics job, he did very well with that.
To my knowledge no major incidents, just minor.

Quick Reply: does spec e36 exist?