Sponsored by:

Pileup in the Wreck E30 Class (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Take a look at this video (~1:20 is where "it" happens): http://vimeo.com/42606031

Then, take a look at the lap chart, and see where the camera car, #19, placed: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2279336

Draw your own conclusions on the Twilight Zone that is NASA.............. (LOTS of discussion on our local list about this, though "our" guys there were all running GTS3.)
WTF? Looked as if the camera car was chopped by the car that spun? Why did camera car get DQ'd?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
WTF? Looked as if the camera car was chopped by the car that spun? Why did camera car get DQ'd?
I was thinking the same thing. The camera car is on the inside minding his line and the #9 car tries to go to the inside line with a good 50% overlap. Just a tad optimistic. I sure hope the camera car driver was DQ'ed for some other real "infraction".

Scott
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concur. The #9 fainted in before the turn, then finished the chop in the turn. It's almost like he expected the camera car to back off because of his faint.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Plavan
"Both in" does not really help ABS cars..... Ouch.
Sure it does.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Damage estimate for pile up....$17
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Greg F
1st Gear

I watched the start of that race.... I was thinking of how cool the standing start was until I realized that there was a rolling Spec Miata start going on right behind the standing start. I would not want to be the E30 guy that pops an axle or stalls....
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Sure it does.
In a non ABS car with "Both In" he would of gone off in a straight predictable manner.....

The ABS keeps the wheels from locking, hence the upredicatable path. Assuming he had both "In"
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Plavan
In a non ABS car with "Both In" he would of gone off in a straight predictable manner.....

The ABS keeps the wheels from locking, hence the upredicatable path. Assuming he had both "In"
I've gone both feet in during a spin in an ABS equipped car and the spin/trajectory was predictable. I've been behind ABS equipped cars that have spun and gone both feet in, their spin/trajectory was predictable. I'd bet money the e30 in the video was not both feet in.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

I've gone both feet in during a spin in an ABS equipped car and the spin/trajectory was predictable. I've been behind ABS equipped cars that have spun and gone both feet in, their spin/trajectory was predictable. I'd bet money the e30 in the video was not both feet in.
+1
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do I know.... I never spin.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I was thinking the same thing. The camera car is on the inside minding his line and the #9 car tries to go to the inside line with a good 50% overlap. Just a tad optimistic. I sure hope the camera car driver was DQ'ed for some other real "infraction".

Scott
Originally Posted by Eifeler
Concur. The #9 fainted in before the turn, then finished the chop in the turn. It's almost like he expected the camera car to back off because of his faint.
Like I said, the Twilight Zone that is NASA. The topic really didn't get discussed further today, and I was off doing "real" work so I didn't follow our local list. Might head over to the Spec E30 forum to see what's the latest.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I think a LeMans start would have solved the whole problem.... and what does "both feet in" mean, is that a gay thing?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said, the Twilight Zone that is NASA. The topic really didn't get discussed further today, and I was off doing "real" work so I didn't follow our local list. Might head over to the Spec E30 forum to see what's the latest.
Thanks for the heads up, I just read all 6 pages over there including some additional video. What I don't understand is why they don't implement the 13/13 rule. We could discuss WTH the black E30 driver was thinking (he bumped another car just before he spun), but more importantly out-of-control driver's like that need to be removed from a spec series. It impacts everyone from NASA management who instigated some silly new punishments, down to the racers. IMHO the 13/13 rule works and that series would really benefit from it's enforcement.....
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Take a look at this video (~1:20 is where "it" happens): http://vimeo.com/42606031

Then, take a look at the lap chart, and see where the camera car, #19, placed: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2279336

Draw your own conclusions on the Twilight Zone that is NASA.............. (LOTS of discussion on our local list about this, though "our" guys there were all running GTS3.)
I for one don't see where the first spinning e30 was considered an "out of control driver" unless there's a history there. I'm surprised he could not catch that spin as it was a pretty lazy spin at first and it looked like he didn't open up the steering.

As for the judging by this video it is hard to see where the other car was b/c the camera does not have a wide enough angle to see the orientation of the cars until the actual time of the impact. Just looking at that camera cars video and the original thread video it seems the camera car was not side by side (defined as front wheel to drivers door of car being passed) and it resulted in contact of the front bumper to rear 1/4 panel leading to the DQ (did not safely start the pass). It seems the camera car should have checked up and fallen back in line as he was not far enough next to the car he was overtaking to remain there. Spec e30s have a great greenhouse and drivers should mount their camera farther back to have the ability to also see side by side action (at least I instruct my racers to do so). Usually mounting it on the roll bar with a wider zoom works wonders and can help give side by side perspective. It also helps show driver steering input when you do so giving you another analysis perspective.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
I for one don't see where the first spinning e30 was considered an "out of control driver"....
Wow!! You must be looking at a different video. If you are not, well, I don't want you being a race steward when I am on the track.

Look at where the #93 car is in relation to the camera car when the #9 car hits the camera car. The distance is less than half a car length and the #9 car CAN'T be more than half a car length ahead since he too is behind the #93 car.

Scott

Last edited by winders; 05-24-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Quick Reply: Pileup in the Wreck E30 Class (video)