Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of series & classes where a 996 C2 can race ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Question List of series & classes where a 996 C2 can race ??

Looking to see if we can generate a list of all the series and classes in which a Porsche 996 C2 can race in the US. I'll consolidate responses into a single post if we get enough responses. Let's not leave out some of the smaller clubs like EMRA, etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on how it's built. The Spec 996 group is growing but there are a couple of very competitive 996's running in NASA GTS-4 down here.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NASA= GTS3, GTS4, ST2
PCA = GTB1, GT3 R/S, Spec 996
POC = GT3, GT4, 996 Spec (non existant)
PRC = GT3
SCCA= GT2 (I think), ITE on R compounds....
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
NASA= GTS3, GTS4, ST2
PCA = GTB1, GT3 R/S, Spec 996
POC = GT3, GT4, 996 Spec (non existant)
PRC = GT3
SCCA= GT2 (I think), ITE on R compounds....
where do you run yours? which classes get big/competitive fields?

I have a 996 C2 that I want to build into a race car, but haven't decided where I want to run it yet.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy,
Where is SMO, is that Missouri?

Best advice is to look at the clubs and classes that regularly race within a reasonable tow of your home.

Then look at the current mods on your car and figure out what the build looks like and if you would have to redo any thing you have already done. Spec996 is great if you are starting from scratch, but if your car is already a track ****, you may have already modified it outside the rules.

Excluding the true GT classes like in SCCA and PCA, you can build a competitive car in most series with costs in the same relative range. The investment depends more on how well you want the car prepped, not which series you are building for. Differences can be eaten up by one season of tire budget if you race frequently.

Don't forget PBOC in Florida, class J if that matters.

I run in PCA and plan to run NASA. I live in Atlanta and there are 5 tracks within 5 hours and 3 others within 8 hours. All have active PCA and/or NASA races.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkM
Guy,
Where is SMO, is that Missouri?

Best advice is to look at the clubs and classes that regularly race within a reasonable tow of your home.

Then look at the current mods on your car and figure out what the build looks like and if you would have to redo any thing you have already done. Spec996 is great if you are starting from scratch, but if your car is already a track ****, you may have already modified it outside the rules.

Excluding the true GT classes like in SCCA and PCA, you can build a competitive car in most series with costs in the same relative range. The investment depends more on how well you want the car prepped, not which series you are building for. Differences can be eaten up by one season of tire budget if you race frequently.

Don't forget PBOC in Florida, class J if that matters.

I run in PCA and plan to run NASA. I live in Atlanta and there are 5 tracks within 5 hours and 3 others within 8 hours. All have active PCA and/or NASA races.
SMO= Santa Monica Airport (where I work). but good guess, I'm originally from Mizzourah.

I asked JR b/c we're both in SoCal, and entries in a class can vary widely from one region of SCCA/NASA/PCA/POC to another.

as for the car, it has a GMG cage and a fair number of aftermarket suspension bits but IIRC the Spec 996 requires JRZ shocks, I use Bilstein. But as you say I don't want to further mod/build out the car until I know where I want to run it...and I want to run it with quality drivers, preferably in a decent field.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Apex996
Pro

what is PRC ?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexComp
what is PRC ?
http://www.prc-racing.com/
Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexComp
what is PRC ?
PRC = http://www.prc-racing.com/

Scott

P.S. Beaten by 1 minute.....
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I see lots of 996's run H class pca.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
where do you run yours? which classes get big/competitive fields?

I have a 996 C2 that I want to build into a race car, but haven't decided where I want to run it yet.
I originally built the car for 996 Spec but my competitors disappeared after a few races so I took it further ending up in GT3 (same weight/whp as NASA's GTS4). With POC you could run your car built to 996 Specs or similar in POC's GT4 class and kill if you can drive. Vali Predescu is currently leading GT4 with a Boxster but he ageees with me that his old 996 Spec could beat all the Boxsters currently running in GT4. Long time POC racer John Payne(the Yellow Bee)recently bought a 996 Koni car just for that purpose and finished second at Spring Mountain his first time out with the car. Figure your motor stock at about 255 rwhp so x 11.5 for slicks gives you a minimum weight of 2933 w/driver, or with R-compounds at 2805 (255 x 11.0). The class is POC"s largest GT class which is relevant if you chose to run slicks and complete for Yokoham's very generous contingency. With 5 cars iin class the winner gets 2 tires and second place 1 tire. With 7 cars the 3rd place car also gets a tire and with 10 cars in class the 4th place car gets 1 too. Being in So Cal this seems like a no-brainer for me. I'd be happy to help you spec out your car for that class....

As for NASA, their GTS series is a bust in So Cal and Nor Cal unfortunately. They run several other weight/whp classes and most notably their Super Touring 2 class was a perfect fit for my highly modified 996. I get to race against Mazda GT's, Corvettes, BMW's, EVO's, and others. It's really fun racing with a great group of drivers. Be forewarned, it's tougher racing too. Fair, but much tougher than normal Porsche racing. I fit in their well ...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I originally built the car for 996 Spec but my competitors disappeared after a few races so I took it further ending up in GT3 (same weight/whp as NASA's GTS4). With POC you could run your car built to 996 Specs or similar in POC's GT4 class and kill if you can drive. Vali Predescu is currently leading GT4 with a Boxster but he ageees with me that his old 996 Spec could beat all the Boxsters currently running in GT4. Long time POC racer John Payne(the Yellow Bee)recently bought a 996 Koni car just for that purpose and finished second at Spring Mountain his first time out with the car. Figure your motor stock at about 255 rwhp so x 11.5 for slicks gives you a minimum weight of 2933 w/driver, or with R-compounds at 2805 (255 x 11.0). The class is POC"s largest GT class which is relevant if you chose to run slicks and complete for Yokoham's very generous contingency. With 5 cars iin class the winner gets 2 tires and second place 1 tire. With 7 cars the 3rd place car also gets a tire and with 10 cars in class the 4th place car gets 1 too. Being in So Cal this seems like a no-brainer for me. I'd be happy to help you spec out your car for that class....

As for NASA, their GTS series is a bust in So Cal and Nor Cal unfortunately. They run several other weight/whp classes and most notably their Super Touring 2 class was a perfect fit for my highly modified 996. I get to race against Mazda GT's, Corvettes, BMW's, EVO's, and others. It's really fun racing with a great group of drivers. Be forewarned, it's tougher racing too. Fair, but much tougher than normal Porsche racing. I fit in their well ...
excellent, thanks for the info!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

In Texas we had 6 SP996's at the Lone Star Region PCA club race we should be on pace for 10 to 11 cars at next years race. We ran in GTB1 prior to the SP996 class designation.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry if I missed your engine size in one of the posts but a 3.4 is a great car for H stock which has a ton of entries at every race I've been too here on the east coast. A 3.6 is I stock where we usually get 5 to 10 competitors. I also run gts 3 with NASA and have a lot of fun but get eaten up by BMW's with aero and cheater gear boxes GTB is a good class too if you'd like to take your car a bit further with mods and run slicks.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Apex996
Pro

What about NARRA? I see some 996s that look like Spec or GTs3/4 cars ?

Bunch of 996 pics here:
http://www.narraonline.com/joomla/na...ech-south.html

Quick Reply: List of series & classes where a 996 C2 can race ??