Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jefferson 500, Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012 | 02:18 PM
d15b7
Racer

Originally Posted by michael lang
One question though, you kept reeling those faster cars only to have them pull on you when the track straightened out. How do you keep the frustration from causing you to make a mistake?
hey Mike! I guess it's years and years of practice of driving a slow-straightaway car! LOL!

seriously though, a driver in a momentum car (like your older 911) needs to be clean and tidy the entire time, and wait for the other guy to make the mistake -- since I don't have a ton of horsepower, I try to put the pressure on in the twisties and brakezones, and hope for the guy in front to make a little bobble which will allow me to get my nose in (or around the outside, or .....) and then stretch out enough of a lead to hold them off on the straights. during that race, if I'd been able to take the lead amongst that group of three before T5, I think I'd have been able to stretch out enough lead before exiting T10 that I'd have been able to hold the lead for a lap. Problem was, that there was always traffic, or one of the three of them holding me up *just* enough that I couldn't get it done and hold it long enough. (plus they both had learned from the previous day where to cover up and protect against me. they were smart racers!!!! ).

I honestly don't get frustrated -- I just keep trying to put the pressure on, and hope for the right timing of lapped traffic to potentially help me out. during that race, I think I turned the 4th fastest lap of anyone, even though I ended up 7th! that's how it goes in a race, though. that's what makes it fun, and exciting, and keeps me coming back for more!

Todd
ReidSpeed

PS in a modern race (like with my Probe or Honda) I'd have been more aggressive; as this was a Vintage race, I was dialing it back a little bit (as is proper, and as it should be). I'd have forced the issue a bit more if it had been the old Probenstien...
Old 05-26-2012 | 03:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by d15b7

PS in a modern race, I'd have forced the issue a bit more if it had been the old Probenstien...
Hah! I've raced against the Probenstien! Todd is NOT shy!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2012 | 06:11 PM
Jase007
Instructor

Birdseye view from RC tri-copter of some of the racing:

http://youtu.be/WRKJV3d19Uc

Very cool.
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:31 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Great photos Jason.

Does anyone else know where to find more phots of this event? Im sure there were some photographers shooting....

Thanks
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Google Bill Stoler. He has 1000 pics plus up now.
Old 06-04-2012 | 12:25 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Thanks Peter. I know Bill - good guy.
Old 06-06-2012 | 05:04 AM
michael lang
Advanced

I didn't get to go this year but it seems like this event is making a comeback in popularity from a few years ago when it was actually cancelled due to lack of participation and attendance.
Old 06-06-2012 | 09:51 AM
d15b7
Racer

it was very well attended this year -- I had to park all the way in the back of the overflow area in the woods -- paddock was totally packed! it was fun to see so many spectators milling around and in the stands during the races too!

Todd
ReidSpeed

Quick Reply: Jefferson 500, Summit Point