Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a video of a sub-minute Lime Rock lap in a (stock) 996/997 car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012 | 08:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Colin, I'll send you my 1:00.1 from the club race weekend. To my shock, this fast lap was when I had to drive around a car at the first apex of Big Bend. You might (will?) argue that I could have gone faster on my normal line, but I have wondered if driving around this other car actually had me go through the turn faster. In situations where you don't have defend, something to think about...
Interesting. Food for thought at least.

Also, see the video I posted earlier in the 964 Cup. I upshift before the downhill (and then also downshift). Still standing class track record lap...
Understood, and I also would shift to 4th in the 964 cup before the downhill, but that's because we'd hit redline before the turn in point. I checked my data and I was not short shifting at all. The OP was shifting 2000+ rpms before redline, which can't possibly be fast.
Old 05-11-2012 | 08:19 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
but I would concentrate more on throttle application before I would braking and corner entry speed.
Interesting approach. I have always recommended the opposite buy maximizing you entry speed and then optimizing you throttle application point, while fine tuning your line to both maximize your entry speed and as early throttle as the car and corner will dictate. The importance of the track that follows will modify your approach.

A slow entry speed will not be overcome with early throttle. IMHO I could be all wrong. But that is how I approach learning.
Old 05-11-2012 | 09:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Colin, I'll send you my 1:00.1 from the club race weekend. To my shock, this fast lap was when I had to drive around a car at the first apex of Big Bend. You might (will?) argue that I could have gone faster on my normal line, but I have wondered if driving around this other car actually had me go through the turn faster. In situations where you don't have defend, something to think about...
I think your right Charlie, I find that if I carry a lot of speed into BB and have a good arc to the exit (instead of having to rotate the car at exit) that segment is faster and my speed up the chute is higher. Now I just have to find that other 6 10ths you hammered me with..
Old 05-11-2012 | 09:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Interesting approach. I have always recommended the opposite buy maximizing you entry speed and then optimizing you throttle application point, while fine tuning your line to both maximize your entry speed and as early throttle as the car and corner will dictate. The importance of the track that follows will modify your approach.

A slow entry speed will not be overcome with early throttle. IMHO I could be all wrong. But that is how I approach learning.
That and a nice glass of Cab Sav...
Old 05-11-2012 | 10:18 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That and a nice glass of Cab Sav...
+1

or a Stella or 2
Old 05-11-2012 | 10:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gotta say Bob, you did a great job of bringing the old TAG livery into modern times, car looks great.
Old 05-11-2012 | 11:12 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Gotta say Bob, you did a great job of bringing the old TAG livery into modern times, car looks great.
Still learning the car. Had a great time at the glen . This cup is like bring as bazooka to a knife fight at DE. But then Baron brought his Cup S.

I'll be there in 2weeks again can't wait. At least I know where to find you after driving.
Old 05-12-2012 | 12:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Still learning the car. Had a great time at the glen . This cup is like bring as bazooka to a knife fight at DE. But then Baron brought his Cup S.

I'll be there in 2weeks again can't wait. At least I know where to find you after driving.
Don't look for me at the Harbor, the Tiki opens up on that friday!
Old 05-12-2012 | 08:10 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Agree completely. I just prefer to work the corner backwards with a student. I find if I can't get them to completely commit to the throttle when the entry speed is already too slow, they surely won't commit to it if I up the entry speed - in fact, they do the opposite.
Old 05-12-2012 | 08:13 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Biggest issue with the outside is the marbles and lack of grip...just ask Gary
Old 05-12-2012 | 11:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
Biggest issue with the outside is the marbles and lack of grip...just ask Gary
Marbles, combined with braking at the 150 marker while executing an outside pass gets you through the 1st half of Big Bend quick! It's that 2nd 1/2 you do in the grass that kills your lap time...
Old 05-12-2012 | 03:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Marbles, combined with braking at the 150 marker while executing an outside pass gets you through the 1st half of Big Bend quick! It's that 2nd 1/2 you do in the grass that kills your lap time...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-14-2012 | 11:23 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
The OP was shifting 2000+ rpms before redline, which can't possibly be fast.
I am driving m96 motor, not a gt3 with 8k redline. my redline is at 7200 and shifting was done at 7k s i see it.
stil, i will work on it, i need to get a better view of it. i just do not like to rev this motor above 7k for long, it has stock internals and it is not giving much power above 7k anyway.
Old 05-15-2012 | 12:10 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

hey Bob S. hows that bedroom furniture coming along
Old 05-15-2012 | 12:36 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
hey Bob S. hows that bedroom furniture coming along
That's not even funny,

but that is the cost of racing.

Delivered and up to speed.

Quick Reply: Need a video of a sub-minute Lime Rock lap in a (stock) 996/997 car