Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best race radio setup, range, clarity, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a Vertex vx-231, owned by Motorola now I believe. They run out of steam at the far end of Road Atlanta and WG. I have an external shark fin antenna from Sampson but they don't have the juice. I'll likely do what Bill did and mount a 25W sometime this year.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Don't mess around and get an in car system, not a handheld. 5W vs. 30W makes a huge difference in reception. With my Motorola PM400 I can be in the toe of the boot and still talk to another car in the esses at the Glen. With a 5W system you'd be lucky to talk from the pits to the top of the esses.

Btw, you only need a few channels. The only reason to have multiple channels is so you can switch if someone else is on the frequency. My all time favorite moment on my radio was at Sebring one year. Talking to Jupeman while sitting on the grid for about 10 minutes. He then comes on when we get the 3 minute warning and says that his battery has died and he can't start the car. Someone else (apparently on our frequency) says "maybe you should talk less on the radio" .

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...ns/PM400_US-EN
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
There is http://www.syncspeedinc.com/ a Rennlist member and great source of info.
+986
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Do any of these racing radio kits have the capability to have more than 1 driver connected? Trying to setup a driver to driver radio system, maybe 4-5 drivers at a time for DE events
Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Do any of these racing radio kits have the capability to have more than 1 driver connected? Trying to setup a driver to driver radio system, maybe 4-5 drivers at a time for DE events
Yes. I have the PM 400 + hand held for the 2nd car.

C.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Gary,
The guys in E have decided that they would all chip in and buy you a state of this art set up to try to help you out. Yes they know it will create an unfair advantage but that's the kind of guys they are.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Breaker 19, we got us a double yellow!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

there is an issue with track radios if you race internationally - you need to apply for a broadcast licence(license) at each circuit you race at, often months beforehand in different languages (have you tried Hungarian?). It gets really complicated at big circuits where you have to have outlying relay stations to get adequate reception/coverage. Now consider using a comms system that is based upon mobile ohone (cellular) tech. No need for permits and licences, no need for expensive relay stations, simple one-time set up, easy testing......

As race date approaches, mobile operators bring online additional cells to ensure adequate coverage as crowd sizes build, so no capacity problems and extra sponsorship opportunities.

Its not hard to organise a push to talk system, and if you have a smartphone in the mix, then the possibilities are endless and the scope for humour boundless.

R+C
Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Will coat-tail off this thread to ask a quick question if I may: Will a pair of Motorola CP200 16-Channel radios be compatible with my existing CP200 4-Channel Radios? That is, I will be able to program my existing 4 frequencies in 4 of the 16 channels in the new ones?

thanks in advance....
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
Will coat-tail off this thread to ask a quick question if I may: Will a pair of Motorola CP200 16-Channel radios be compatible with my existing CP200 4-Channel Radios? That is, I will be able to program my existing 4 frequencies in 4 of the 16 channels in the new ones?

thanks in advance....
Only if they are the same band. There is uhf and vhf. Double check they are the same.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I ended up ordering a UHF PM400 that will get programmed with my handhelds 4 existing frequencies. That will leave the handhelds to be used for up to 2 crew, 2 other cars, or a combination thereoff...

Now need to find a good reasonably priced crew headset unit....
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

been using the handheld motorola plugged into a nice antena (like the sp50 but its a different model) for the first time this year...(sebring, watkins, vir so far)
i had no problem anywhere at any track...only thing i dont like is having to remember to charge the thing....other guys in our group use the CM300 and CM200 motorola in cars and have had only one issue
At VIR he was getting a Emergency service channel that had some funny things going on....switched channels and all was fixed.
I think a friend just picked up a pm400 for cheap off ebay and i may end up doing that as well and let the pits have another radio (or let the wife talk crap to me if im loosing (err when im loosing)....baby if you win you can....haha that will get you going faster.)

just ponied up for some sampson racing ear buds to (semi custom ones) found them at safe racer with a 10% coupon code from google for less than from sampson.

regular ear buds work fine but i was getting some ear pain from them not blocking out enough noise especially at sebring.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I got mine from Sampson racing radios. They got me a setup which works great. Non Motorola (but the company is owned by Motorola). Great deals there.
I have the Sampson Racing radio set up, Shawn fixed me up I bought the pro starter system it features two 5 watt hand held that you use a radio box with. I bought the shark fine antenna for the truck lid and an extender whip for the crew radio. I get good reception at Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta that has big terrain changes. And Road Atlanta the pits are in a Pit.

I thought about getting the radio that mounts in the dash so you you not have to deal with batteries, but the Sampsons are a good unit I can go 2 to 3 race weekends on one charge. I do lots of car to car and car to pit.

Got the custom ear buds and a nice case for about 1200, Its sounds pricy but if you have ever been on a bad radio you know its worth having a good connection. I have done some 8 hr enduros and you need a radio.

Quick Reply: Best race radio setup, range, clarity, etc?