Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo install in a Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i tried to use cable first, it did not work. fused power from fuse box is better. i simply took new fuse, wrapped wire around upper pin and inserted it there, works fine. hot pin is a lower one.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but on topic. I went to wire up my new DL and in my 2009 Cayman S there are multiple twisted pairs that correspond to the CAN+/- line color coding Before I start tapping multiple pairs, has anyone installed in a 2009 and can verify the footwall CAN lines ?

Also, for ground is the bolt that holds the fuse carrier usable or do I need to locate or create a new one?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,203 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by akirasan
Old thread but on topic. I went to wire up my new DL and in my 2009 Cayman S there are multiple twisted pairs that correspond to the CAN+/- line color coding Before I start tapping multiple pairs, has anyone installed in a 2009 and can verify the footwall CAN lines ?

Also, for ground is the bolt that holds the fuse carrier usable or do I need to locate or create a new one?

Cheers,
Mike
Ground bolt works.

If you look at the main harness closer to the rear of the car (or the door hinge area) there is one pair that sticks out.

It's the largest bundle. There is only one pair that matches in that bundle.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

On mine, the bundle nearest the door/hinge has two twisted pairs with the same colors. Away from car now so can't take picture but it's frustrating.:-(
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

On mine, the bundle nearest the door/hinge has two twisted pairs with the same colors. Away from car now so can't take picture but it's frustrating.:-(
I would not sweat it. The twisted pair that matches those colors is the ECU to dash cluster link. That is the link you want. So hack away. If the first onw does not give you channel info, try the second one. As long as the CAN+ and CAN- are not reversed, you shouldn't get an error code.

I have personally installed over four dozen of these and have not yet seen that, but there is always a first!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Thanks! That's the kind of luck I've had with this car - from UPS losing one out of four wheels to a stud kit showing up sans lug nuts. I'll grab myself another set of taps and see what happens. Is there any other screen config/setup for additional channels, e.g. oil pressure/temperature I need to figure out?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks! Is there any other screen config/setup for additional channels, e.g. oil pressure/temperature I need to figure out?
To make sure you're getting the right info, go to Menu on the Solo DL, then Display (IIRC), then custom page setup, then on page two or three, select three custom measures like RPM, ECT (water temp) and PPS (accelerator pedal position), then back out, start the car, scroll through to that page using the furthest right hand button and make sure you're getting info. This assumes your Solo DL is configured for the car...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 AM
akirasan
Intermediate

The same (I believe) bundle in my car has two pairs (boxed in red). In your pic it looks like your crossing from the front loom to the back - could just be the pic. Guess it's over to O'Reillys in the AM to get some vampire taps - once I land on the correct pair I can solder 'em up.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

once I land on the correct pair I can solder 'em up.
It is the black/white and yellow white from the thicker (appearing) bundle with the pair to the right red box and zoomed here.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM
akirasan
Intermediate

Thanks Peter! They're in the same taped bundle and to my eyes they both looked to be the same gauge
Old 04-11-2015, 02:25 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

So... In keeping with the car, after tapping the right pair and getting no signal I tapped the left and voila - I've got data. Now to solder everything up and head out to the Ridge.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So... In keeping with the car, after tapping the right pair and getting no signal I tapped the left and voila - I've got data. Now to solder everything up and head out to the Ridge.
Parallel universe! Glad it worked out and enjoy!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Well of course things are different than Peter is seeing, you are on different coasts, of course it is going to be backwards! Since I am also in WA State, I believe your car is right and Peter's are backwards but that's just me. :-)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, I find myself down at The Ridge occasionally when I am not on the road.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 AM
akirasan
Intermediate

Left coast syndrome I now have really good data from when my oil pressure sensor malfunctioned and shut down the engine going into turn 1.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo install in a Cayman S