Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo install in a Cayman S

Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Stealth#31
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM Solo install in a Cayman S

Looking for some advice with a set up for my Cayman.... is anyone using a longer cord than they supply in the box? I have the unit on the window clamp to the left of the steering wheel...it went into the OBD2 port but the CAN bus connection is in the rear of the car Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

No personal experience and I don't know (and I need an answer too, because I need to connect another data system to the CAN harness up front), but I am sure that the CAN harness that you wish to connect to at the ECU connector goes forward and is able to be accessed behind the cluster or in the loom near the fuse box.

Jerry? Anyone?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not running the Solo DL version but have mounted the Solo unit using the RAM mount in the center of the windshield. Plenty of wire to get to the power outlet in the passenger side footwell. As I understand it, with the DL you have either OBD or CAN, not both. If using the RAM mount, you might want to attach a tether to keep the RTR tech guys happy.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CAn harness for DL

Stealth

I can send you a DL CAN harness with sufficient wire to connect to the Cayman ECU. I add a Deutsch connector and extend the wires. This allows you to unplug the DL harness without removing the CAN connection. If you send me your harness, the charge is $45.00 shipped, if you want to keep your harness, add $70. I have them in stock if you need one soon, I don't need to wait for yours to arrive.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm running the harness setup that Jerry is showing above on my spyder and it works perfectly. I tapped into the CAN lines through the trunk, ran the wires along the backside of the cockpit underneath the carpet seams, and then up into the the center console lid where I plug into the solo side of the harness.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
vranko
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm running the harness setup that Jerry is showing above on my spyder and it works perfectly. I tapped into the CAN lines through the trunk, ran the wires along the backside of the cockpit underneath the carpet seams, and then up into the the center console lid where I plug into the solo side of the harness.
Where did you tap into power and ground? I was planning on tapping into the CAN connections at the wiring harness next to the fuse box. Any pics of your taps?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to use a piggy-back fuse adapter (purchased at local Car Quest) and find switched power on a 996 and a 997.1 There are very few locations you can pick up switched power on these computerized cars. I created a ground point near the fuse box.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
vranko
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by amso3
I was able to use a piggy-back fuse adapter (purchased at local Car Quest) and find switched power on a 996 and a 997.1 There are very few locations you can pick up switched power on these computerized cars. I created a ground point near the fuse box.
Nice. Thanks for the pic.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I tapped into the lines from the trunk where there's a service access cover that's easily removeable. There's ground point that the ecu lines use right there, and I tapped into a red/purple stripe wire. It works perfectly. I'll try to get picture taken and post for you.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
There are very few locations you can pick up switched power on these computerized cars. I created a ground point near the fuse box.
Good call!

I use a "key-on accessory" circuit for power. That way, power comes on with the key inserted and stays on after you turn the car off but does not lift power until you remove the key. Sweet!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Stealth#31
Track Day

Guys, thanks a ton for the info!! Greatly appreciated...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
vranko
3rd Gear

Thanks for the tips everyone. I tapped into both power and CAN in driver's footwell. Took the Cayman out for a test drive and all promised measures were captured.

Name:  IMG_3204.jpeg
Views: 1877
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3209.jpeg
Views: 2132
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vranko
Thanks for the tips everyone. I tapped into both power and CAN in driver's footwell. Took the Cayman out for a test drive and all promised measures were captured.
I need to do this in my 997.2 and would rather go into the footwell than in the back where the ECU is, mainly because my rollbar is making access to that part of the car a major PITA. It should also make picking up power much easier...

So how do you track down the right wires in the footwell? Just look at colors and pick the same as they would be in the back? Or did you have a wiring diagram?

Thanks,

T.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

see my post #225 and couple more on next page. crocs wire colors should be same as on my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-399-a-15.html
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
see my post #225 and couple more on next page. crocs wire colors should be same as on my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-399-a-15.html
Yellow White and Black Whit is how they are in the back too so I should be good for that.

For power, I see that you went directly into the fuse box instead of using a cable?

Thanks for your help,

T.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIM Solo install in a Cayman S