Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate: which to buy? complete or dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Traqmate for years and have also used AIM & some others. I recently upgraded to the Traqdash and am blown away at how great it is. I'm now hooked on the "Vmin" display. It's the best driver tool since the predictive lap timer.

I'd be willing to sell my old Traqmate display if anyone's interested.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Foozed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I think the Solo DL is the best-value, most-conversant-with-the-new-cars black box to come along in years. For the price of the Traqmate Basic, it's a pretty amazing leap forward.

The Solo DL/SmartyCam combo is pretty slick. I made this video with two pieces of equipment and one plug into the OBD-II port installed in about 90 seconds: http://youtu.be/Po4yoytAdDg

Peter, agree good seeing you and hearing you pour advice into Richard on vmin max equations etc. you really have the track down to a science - love it!

I watched the video of the solo DL smarty cam - is that 1800 for everything required? Ie camera data logger bod connector etc?
I'm looking to upgrade from Harry's lap timer soon.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Foozed
Peter, agree good seeing you and hearing you pour advice into Richard on vmin max equations etc. you really have the track down to a science - love it!

I watched the video of the solo DL smarty cam - is that 1800 for everything required? Ie camera data logger bod connector etc?
I'm looking to upgrade from Harry's lap timer soon.
Thanks! Yes, all including mounts for Solo DL AND SmartyCam.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

There is supposedly an upgrade coming for Traqmate which will allow 2 GoPro cameras to be synced simultaneously. Stay tuned
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought this- http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

It works great. You can buy a second Wifi bacpac solo for your second camera. I cant wait for the phone apps to come out.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Still learning all the functionality of Traqdash but you can see my set-up in my Cayman...

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Can someone explain the Vmin and Vmax on the Traqdash? I have the Traqmate basic, but I am thinking of adding the Traqdash.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Plavan
Can someone explain the Vmin and Vmax on the Traqdash? I have the Traqmate basic, but I am thinking of adding the Traqdash.
The vMin and vMax display on the TraqDash is bright and readable. The combination of the vMin and the Predictive Lap Timing bar graph helps you evaluate within a few corners, whether what you are doing is helping, hurting or not changing anything.

The vMin is the cause and the PLT is the result! No need to wait until you come in and granular enough to evaluate every slower corner, every lap of the session. Priceless.

When I look at the tens of thousands of data files I and other people have collected, the correlation that stands out is that if you can raise the vMin incrememally at each slow corner (and it can be by tenths of a mph), your average will rise much quicker and you'll lop off much more time than trying to go "flat out" through a particular, often short section.

I learned first from the old Stack dash displays and then from David Ferguson at Veracity Data that drivers who configure their displays to read the vMin of the previous corner can evaluate DURING THE SESSION their changes to address that very, very important parameter.

The vMax is a useful aid for determining whether the car is running properly and/or beginning to tune aero for the best compromise between downforce and top speed, but the vMin is the daddy!

The TraqDash just helps you do that easier. Of course, I have them in stock!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone have display mounting suggestions for Traqdash.....996 dash.
TIA
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Gregg, I recommend the RAM 1" ball suction cup mount for a Garmin GPS. Works great and you can get arm lengths from 1 7/8" to 3" to 6" long.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I have the traqdash with the Go pro HD video integration. if your going to do this you want the traqdash the display is such a huge upgrade from the old display, if your going to jump off the cliff take a big jump.

As for the cameras, the Go Pro hero 2 is better quality and for the little extra cost you should get the hero 2. I have had both and the set up menu on the hero 2 you can actually figure out with out the instruction book in front of you.

The only issue that i have had is that the trackstudio software that Traqmate has to integrate the video and data has a glitch in it were there is some distortion in the final production. I think this will get worked out.

The only other PITA is that when you record more than 40 min of video on a go pro it splits it into two files and you have to merge them before you can overlay the data, there is instructions on the TM web as to how to do this. its all doable.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Trick stuff. Especially your TBL in hi-def!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the Traqmate and GoPro Hero2 with the interface cable to automatically power on/sync. I dumped my SD Chase Cam setup this year for the GoPro and the video is so much beter plus I use the GoPro for other things like skiing.

The Traqdash is nice, but I see it as a little bling. Also, I don't want a display that big because I need to focus on the driving and not the display. Better to looks at the information after the session at least for my level. The Traqmate is simple and easy to use.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Gregg, I recommend the RAM 1" ball suction cup mount for a Garmin GPS. Works great and you can get arm lengths from 1 7/8" to 3" to 6" long.
Golly.....O have never suctioned anything to my windshield.....but will look into it.
It would seem that something 'straight-on' would be ideal....if all you needed to do was drop your view down.....rather than having to look right or left.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Golly.....O have never suctioned anything to my windshield.....but will look into it.
It would seem that something 'straight-on' would be ideal....if all you needed to do was drop your view down.....rather than having to look right or left.
Not the Traqdash, but rather the classic display unit: Stuck a strip of self-adhesive velcro on the bottom of the unit and the mating surface on top of the control column. Not very high-tech, but cheap, easy, and it works. Plus, it's in the line of sight.

Quick Reply: Traqmate: which to buy? complete or dash?