Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate: which to buy? complete or dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Traqmate: which to buy? complete or dash?

I'd like to use the traqmate with my GoPro, but not sure which one to get.

What's the difference between the HD and non-HD offerings? seems to be the addition of TraqStudio software only.

Anyway, which do you recommend. The traqdash or just the little laptimer.

Also, any one have a group buy on these?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Friend of mine has a GoPro and would like to upgrade to a two camera system with overlayed data.

We are at a bit of a loss trying to pick wich system is the best, keeping it under $2k.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 904 Likes on 553 Posts

Here's something to get you started http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...e-to-edit.html

Paging Mr. Krause! Mr. Krause to aisle 3!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traqdash with Traqstudio and the lanc for the Go Pro 2 HD. That syncs the data and video automatically.
The dash gives you in car feedback and lots of programable inputs.

I have the DU (display unit) and will be upgrading to the dash at some point. Much more data capability.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get in touch with Peter Krause...paging, paging...
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

so, it's the traqdash then.

can we get a group buy together some how?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts
Smile

I might be interested in helping with a group buy, but most importantly, I offer the best, personally tailored configurations as well as the best post-purchase training and support best after the sale!

A short overview.

The Traqmate Classic Complete is the original $999 dash and sensor unit combo. You can add the TraqHD Pro (specifically built for Go Pro HD Hero and HD Hero 2) for $458 more, which includes TraqStudio, the $199 software that synchs the video, allows assembly of the killer app "Video Theoretical Best Lap" and outputs one lap or the whole session to files suitable for uploading to YouTube or Vimeo and burning to a USB stick or DVD. It powers up the camera, starts and stops recording all from the one button on the Traqmate Classic dash display. This does NOT include a GoPro HD Hero or Hero 2 camera and camera mount.

The TraqDash upgrade ($799 by itself (suitable only as an upgrade to existing Traqmate installations), $1499 as the TraqDash Complete for new installations or $1799 as the Traqmate TraqDash Complete HD Pro (whew, what a mouthfull!) which require only a GoPro HD Hero or HD Hero 2 and mount.

The difference between the standalone $458 TraqHD Pro add on and the lesser extra money for the TM TD Complete HD Pro is that the $458 package allows four analog, two digital in addition to the RPM input.

The reasons why the TraqDash might be worth it are: A) Very bright full-color touchscreen that works. B) 310 preloaded track coordinates, no setting of start/finish lines. C) bright backlit display with multi-stage integrated shift lights. D) Readout of sensor value inputs, lap times, vMins and predictive lap timing "bar graph." E) session info stored on an SD card removeable from the display. F) No computer needed for car, track or driver changes, period.

The original Traqmate Classic display is fine, you get lap times and predictive lap time display, as well as session data through a USB cable. It's backlit, monochromatic segment display is fine. It's rugged. It's cheaper by $500, but the new TraqDash has been selling like hotcakes!

Let me know if I can help.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Red face

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Traqdash with Traqstudio and the lanc for the Go Pro 2 HD. That syncs the data and video automatically.
The dash gives you in car feedback and lots of programable inputs.

I have the DU (display unit) and will be upgrading to the dash at some point. Much more data capability.
Actually Randy, the LAN-C is a Sony patented start/stop record signal only. That might explain the issues you're having with the Aluratek in TraqStudio. You will need the TraqHD Pro to accept all of the inputs the dash will display. Otherwise, it's only RPM.

The TraqSync and TraqData I/O (input/output boxes) that Traqmate put out in 2006-2007 were designed not only to supply the LAN-C on/off signal, but also integrate a time base correction signal to allow for automatic synching when the video was brought up within the data window in Traqstudio.

When the Sony HD option was added in 2010, you had to use the TraqData HD to interface successfully with the camera. A reasonable and high quality decision, but Sony's proprietary AVCHD file system made life hard for the export function in Traqstudio.

It's taken years, but the introduction of the 30-pin connector on the back of the HD GoPro line allowed for the Traqmate-GoPro interface to work well!

Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

peter is was great to meet you today at VIR and just being able to listen to you go over data with richard today was amazing
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jenk12m
peter is was great to meet you today at VIR and just being able to listen to you go over data with richard today was amazing
A pleasure! Rather brief, but you can see that the key is to look at the information from several different perspectives (parameters like speed vs distance, braking speed, braking force, lateral g consistency, reducing combined g valleys, RPM and, of course, throttle position) to get a VERY accurate picture of what is going on.

Richard has hired me in the past and had a little car trouble, so I owe him. He's now "family."

Good to meet you and hope to see you again at VIR or elsewhere. Love your avatar pic.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in if there is a Traqdash group buy.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

how many people can we get for a group buy? I'm in.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can put my down as a strong maybe.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was leaning Solo DL - but really like the Traqmate + GoPro integration.... So I'm in for a Traqmate TraqDash Complete HD Pro

-B
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blake
I was leaning Solo DL - but really like the Traqmate + GoPro integration.... So I'm in for a Traqmate TraqDash Complete HD Pro

-B
I think the Solo DL is the best-value, most-conversant-with-the-new-cars black box to come along in years. For the price of the Traqmate Basic, it's a pretty amazing leap forward.

The Solo DL/SmartyCam combo is pretty slick. I made this video with two pieces of equipment and one plug into the OBD-II port installed in about 90 seconds: http://youtu.be/Po4yoytAdDg

Most everyone that chooses the Traqmate/GoPro integrated combination finds the video capabilities more easily leveraged than the simple data overlay (also no integration into the AiM RS2 analysis window) of the Solo DL/SmartyCam combination. But they're both great.

I know that VR and I both love the simplicity, accuracy and display of information in the Traqview or TraqStudio software.

My only concern with a group buy is that everyone's needs/desired combinations are different... Ask me how I know. This stuff is configurable enough so there's a fair bit of tailoring that can be done.

I'm certainly willing to talk to ONE "aggregator" for a possible group buy.

If you want it any time soon (less than eight or ten weeks, which is my experience in putting these together), better go ahead and call me.

Quick Reply: Traqmate: which to buy? complete or dash?