Sponsored by:

996 C2 Race Car build vs. turnkey Spec Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
That's really interesting to hear because there are a few current Spec 996 guys that are running that wheel I believe. When I had originally saw the wheels on the car I thought they would be light for the class but it wasn't my place to protest so I just left it alone.
Hope some PCA Scruts are paying attention on here, Spec classes are best when kept in spec.
hopefully I didn't let the cat out of the bag!

and in saying "by my calculations" I'm adding up the mfr claimed weight of tire + wheel; I haven't put anything on a scale. FWIW.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
+1 for SP996

My build is pretty close to complete. Hope to do some preliminary testing this weekend!!!
Looks great! Hope we can work together as we discussed...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
hopefully I didn't let the cat out of the bag!

and in saying "by my calculations" I'm adding up the mfr claimed weight of tire + wheel; I haven't put anything on a scale. FWIW.
I am guessing that the mfr weight numbers could be a little off, and that the guys that are running these wheels have in fact checked them to make sure they are within Spec rules. If not then they will have to answer when someone in their class decides to protest or a Scrut decides to check it. It's very easy to check since it's a combined wheel/tire weight.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

That's really interesting to hear because there are a few current Spec 996 guys that are running that wheel I believe. When I had originally saw the wheels on the car I thought they would be light for the class but it wasn't my place to protest so I just left it alone.
Hope some PCA Scruts are paying attention on here, Spec classes are best when kept in spec.
I wondered the same thing about those wheels. I never bothered to add up the weights, just took the drivers word that they made weight. FWIW, the guy running the OZ's hit a curb and broke a rim. I'm not convinced those things are all that strong.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I wondered the same thing about those wheels. I never bothered to add up the weights, just took the drivers word that they made weight. FWIW, the guy running the OZ's hit a curb and broke a rim. I'm not convinced those things are all that strong.
that was another question I had, they're strong enough for road and track day use but I've wondered how they'd hold up under race conditions, or hitting a curb hard, etc.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Adding the published weights is always a crap shoot anyway. Too many variances with different offsets on wheels, and tires will lose weight as they wear, and then add weight as track boogers and rocks get picked up. Only way to know is weigh them in the paddock after a race.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
that was another question I had, they're strong enough for road and track day use but I've wondered how they'd hold up under race conditions, or hitting a curb hard, etc.
CCW's are strong !
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the rules were written to allow the Porsche 'Lightweight 5-Spoke" wheels (MY2002), which are to my knowledge the lightest Porsche wheels made specifically for the 996 narrow body. The idea was that you could pick these rims up fairly cheaply, that they were strong, and that you could gain no advantage by buying more expensive rims, thus helping to keep spending in check. Typically you can find a set of these for ~$1000 to $1500. We originally specified Porsche brand wheels only when the original POC rules came out. Then the rules committee decided to open up to other brands, provided they made weight, so that guys could buy cool looking wheels if they wanted. I'll stick with the 5-spokes myself.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the rules were written to allow the Porsche 'Lightweight 5-Spoke" wheels (MY2002), which are to my knowledge the lightest Porsche wheels made specifically for the 996 narrow body. The idea was that you could pick these rims up fairly cheaply, that they were strong, and that you could gain no advantage by buying more expensive rims, thus helping to keep spending in check. Typically you can find a set of these for ~$1000 to $1500. We originally specified Porsche brand wheels only when the original POC rules came out. Then the rules committee decided to open up to other brands, provided they made weight, so that guys could buy cool looking wheels if they wanted. I'll stick with the 5-spokes myself.
I wish they'd left it alone at the stock wheel. Guys like me think too much about how they can reinvent a better wheel when you give them just a little slack.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I wish they'd left it alone at the stock wheel. Guys like me think too much about how they can reinvent a better wheel when you give them just a little slack.
I agree.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really glad that the class is doing so well in Texas and the surrounding states. I thoroughly enjoyed my short tenure racing my car as a 996 Spec before the class fell apart out West. I do however think that your tire choice sucks....
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

GREAT to see another car built and ready to join the SP996 fun in Texas. There are others coming soon, and based on some rumors that I won't repeat, we may have a guy who will be very tough to beat in the field by next year.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Looks great! Hope we can work together as we discussed...
Yep, that's definitely the plan, Dave. Just need to get some laps under my belt so you're not starting completely from scratch! Plus, this pesky job keeps getting in the way of my hobby....

Quick Reply: 996 C2 Race Car build vs. turnkey Spec Boxster