Sponsored by:

New tow rig - traded the Q7 for a new Durango - review

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New tow rig - traded the Q7 for a new Durango - review

Bought a new Durango R/T. If you'd asked me a year or two ago, it wouldn't have been on my radar, which is why I'm bringing it up here. It's a really good effort, and and astounding value, IMO.

The new Durango listed for about 43K with R/T package (Hemi, suspension upgrade, 20" wheels), leather with 4 heated seats, upgraded NAV & Alpine Audio, tow package (7,400lbs), rear camera. Purchased for $38,900. Trade in on 82,000 mile 3.6 V6 Q7 was $21K. Total diff out the door just under 20K. Less than 1/2 of the cost to upgrade to a TDI Q7, or X5 Diesel we were comparing.

-Incredibly good ride/handling balance. Slightly better in terms of impact harshness to the Q7, equal in handling. Very German feel to the body control and damping. Worlds better than Tahoe/'burban here. Great steering accuracy and heft. It's Mercedes platform roots really show up here.

-Impressive brakes - slightly larger than the Q7, though less pistons. Good pedal feel. Up to the Q7's Porsche brakes (both in feel and reported stopping distances).

-Nicely upscale interior. Nice leather - actually smells and feels like it. Soft touch dash. Nicely firm/supportive/adjustable seats. Even the 3 rd row has soft touch armrests. HUGE improvement over previous domestics. Color me impressed, and this is coming out of the "gold standard" Audi (and having owned 3 of them). Audi is still better, but only fractionally. Some nice surprises, like the LED flashlight that charges where its stowed - always ready.

-Very quiet. Less wind, motor, and tire thump than the Q7. Almost Lexus like, unless you're making music with your foot in the Hemi. Sunroof is also much more quiet when open, as it retracts under the roof, rather than over.

-Alpine sound system seems to be good, though I'm not an audiophile.

-Seating versatility. Front passenger seat folds forward to flat. Folding and tumbling seats make access to third row much better than the Q7. Third seat room also better. Second row reclines like the Q7, though no fore/aft adjustment (might miss that). Third row headrests go down at the push of a button - nice for visibility, and whacking unruly kids in the back of the head .

-Looks nice to me. I like the clean lines, and slight Coke bottle shape. It's a bit more practical form than the Q7

_Hemi V8 smooth, and sound great. Got 21 MPG cruising for one tank, using 4 cyl mode (which is nicely transparent). Sound clip here:http://
I'm sure it will be thirsty around town, but worth it!

-7,400 lbs towing capacity. This will give me a much better comfort margin with my 6,500lb trailer, than the Q7's 6,600 lbs (though the Q7 seemed up to the task). A real tow/haul mode is nice, as well.

-Read outs for all engine/trans parameters - oil temp/pressure, trans temp, coolant temp, etc. - very cool.

Dislikes:
Goofy gearing. 1st is good for 50MPH, then 2nd & 3rd are only about 200-300 RPM apart (shifting at mid RPM's). 5th & 6th are both tall, and only about 200-300 RPM apart as well. It turns 1,500RPM at 60. Large ratio gaps in 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts. The Q7 had much more aggressive, and evenly spaced gearing, to make the most out of it's smaller motor. The upcoming 8 speed should be better. At least the Hemi shrugs off this well, so in practice, it's not a big deal. 50% more torque will do that for you. It'sjust odd, and could be faster/better. Shifting is smooth, at least. Low range is fun, too, if only of limited use.

Manual shifting, while smooth, is slower, and more of a "suggestion" at times (at least on upshifts). Again, Q7 was much better here.

8" wide wheels seem to pinch the 265/50 tires. A 9" rim would be better.

Dodge recommends a load equalizing hitch for trailers >3,500lbs. Interestingly, Audi recommends against using one, but has very tight specs on ball/hitch placement. While it's probably a good idea, using one is a bit of a PIA, and adds weight.

Nav screen could be bigger, and higher res, though Garmin interface is intuitive.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, really nice so far. For my purposes, it is (a bit) superior to the Q7, and costs a lot less. I'll report back after I tow with it. I'll be heading to Denver in a couple of months, so that should be a good 2K mile test!

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 03-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting write up and thanks for sharing. Good luck with the new truck.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you like the R/T

I drove a V6 Citadel and it was pretty terrible... it had potential but at that trim level everything was crap and plastic
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a winner. Glad there is a nice USA option.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Glad there is a nice USA option.
+1
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

MB hardware underneath, but built in Detroit, and with an American V8, style, and price. Works for me.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will your dealer provide a loaner when in for service?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1. Got my r/t 6 months ago...capable and loaded with features even without considering price. OOD price makes it a great option. Handles better than my old GL with more features. Almost as good as X5 but way more functional. Really love mine...Hemi awesome for towing (open trailex) and range not bad. Had to put on new rims tho...oem looked like my wife's sienna minivan
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the prior model Durango and at first was dissapointed to see the new model get downsized. I did take a good hard look at these and was considering it as I found a lot of the same positive traits as Sterling Doc mentions. Ended up going with a new EcoBoost F150 to better suit my future/growing towing plans.

This is a very nice choice if you are keeping your trailer/contents on the lower side.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Sterling, which event are you coming to in Colorado?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like what Chrsyler is up to.
Thanks for the write up.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by al@cpt
Will your dealer provide a loaner when in for service?
Actually, yes. They will even drive out to my place to pick up the Durango (about 60 miles round trip), if I want. The loaner might be pretty basic, but even my Audi dealer was loaning basic Civics these days.

Doc,

I'll be coming to the NASA High Plains event May 26th. We're going to make that a big event like we did for Autoclub (20+ cars in class). You coming?

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 03-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

> I'm sure it will be thirsty around town, but worth it!

Can't be worse than my Touareg with Audi V8, struggles for double digit MPG.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Anybody have any recommendations for weight distributing hitch that's somewhat lighter weight. The ones I see seem to be built for much larger trailers than mine and weigh about 80 lbs.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Too bad they don't have Diesel option... I'd probably consider it as we are on the hunt for a new Mom mobile..

Touareg 4 Sale...

Quick Reply: New tow rig - traded the Q7 for a new Durango - review