2012 Chinese Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, Narain Karthikayan is an embarassment on track.
There has to be another driver worthy of an F1 ride who is faster.

I would imagine his grid spot is tied to the Indian GP?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

How about them marbles!! Amazing amount off-line this time.

It was a great race. Kimi must have suffered the worst with tire pick up after getting off-line that one time, then sliding on to the back of the pack. WOW!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was great! 3 different drivers and Marques winning the first 3 races. The Shanghai Circuit was great with lots of dicing and some real racing.

I am sorry that Schumi's pit stop went to Hell as it would have been interesting to see how Nico would have done if he was pushed.

Nico's win was great and shows he has talent and Mercedes will be a force.

Kimi's performance was disappointing.

Alonso's performance makes Malaysia look like a fluke.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, Alonso would be the best driver on the grid with a car that was 10 sec off pole or 10 seconds on pole.

Too bad the FIA doesn't award a trophy for being the best driver.

He was a total non factor in the race. IIRC, Vettel started behind Alonso and finished in front of him. But you're right, Alonso is the best.
you fail to mention that Vettel has the faster car by a wide margin. RB just screwed up Q2 which placed him behind Alonso for the start of the race otherwise the fact remains that the Ferrari is 1.5 seconds off the pace not .8 like they said earlier this week.

Also, funny you should mention Vettel because Mark Webber beat him to the line today and that's 3 times MW has out qualified Vettel and 2 out of 3 times finished in front of him thusfar this year.

Does anyone believe that any other driver on the grid could get more out of that dog they call a Ferrari? Donkey Cart is too nice a term for this thing.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw kimi drop 12 spots in final 10 laps . why did they switch from soft to hards in the first 7 laps... then back to softs for the last 30 laps... he lost 8 spots in a matter of 1 lap... dissapointing..
Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Also, funny you should mention Vettel because Mark Webber beat him to the line today and that's 3 times MW has out qualified Vettel and 2 out of 3 times finished in front of him thusfar this year.
Webber and Vettel were not driving the same car this weekend. Webber is using the new exhaust design while Vettel is on the older slightly slower design. This was Vettel's choice since he felt more comfortable with the handling of the older car. Now Vettel has only himself to blame for not making it into Q3. But since he was starting 11th on the grid the team decided to two stop him. I am sure if he had started higher up the grid he would have been three stopped and would not have been passed like he was late in the race. All things considered, the team did what they felt they needed to do and a 5th place finish after starting 11th and dropping to 16th after a bad start is a respectable finish.

Does anyone believe that any other driver on the grid could get more out of that dog they call a Ferrari? Donkey Cart is too nice a term for this thing.
Since Massa is the only one we can truly compare Alonso to right now, it's hard to say what others could do with the Italian made Donkey Cart. But there are plenty of talented drivers out there, some of whom actually drove many seasons in F1 on mid to bottom tier teams (ie: Button and Webber come to mind). Are you sure you are prepared to take the stance that Button and Webber would do an inferior job in the Italian Donkey Cart? I know I'm not. Button and Webber continue to impress me week after week with their race craft. Alonso is a quality race car driver, but he is not the only game in town.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-15-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Great to see the top 5 places only separated by 17 pts so far. Now everyone will have to scramble to catch up to MB's new version of the F duct. The RBs were run over down the straights. They both did very well to finish where they did.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Virtual Surgeon
Advanced

I love Hamilton. If finishing 3rd the rest of the seasons means wining the drivers championship so be it.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Very enjoyable race! Some seriously poor tire strategies by the mid-field teams (Sauber and Lotus especially).

3 GPs, 3 different winners (teams and drivers) - this season is shaping up to be a really fun one! I was getting seriously bored with the same 5 people on the podium for the last 3 years.

Congrats to Nico, well done and well deserved!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great race!
One of the best I've seen in long time!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Congrats to Nico Rosberg for his first career win and congrats to Mercedes for their first win since the 1950s. We will never know if Button could have caught Nico in the closing laps had Jenson not had his bad pit stop. But I would like to think the racing Gods were shining down on Nico regardless. Vettel got caught out there at the end of the race with bad tires, but I think two stopping was his only hope due to his less than ideal starting grid position and bad start. But wow did Raikkonen ever fall off the cliff. Too bad, as the Iceman was running well for a while. Finally, there was some gutsy racing from most of the field with some good passes and good defending and hats off to everyone for not doing anything really stupid.
I thought based on your comments from last race, you would say that McLaren botched their last pit because they run mercedes engine, no??
Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Very happy to see Nico win, good for him. Long time coming. He finally has the car to prove what he is worth. Feel bad for Michael though.
It looks like most of the advantage is in qualifying. In race trim, the cars are much closer matched, which makes it fun for us. This is one unpredictable season. It would be foolish to assume the obvious. The real season begins in europe.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 AM
KurtC
Instructor

That was a great and very weird race. I'm amazed there was no contact given all the passing and trains. Looks like Hamilton is a fixture on the third step this year. lol Webber made his typical slow start but I'm glad to see he's not being destroyed by his teammate........so far. It's also nice to see he didn't take flight when his nose popped up. Boy, that car hit the ground hard. Watching Kimi fall back so many spots was painful! It's nice to see MB found the right setup for the tires. I don't see McLaren allowing them such an easy race next week. What a wonderful start to the season!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alonso still the best driver on the grid takes a car that was 1.5 seconds off pole to 9th. Massa once again fails to score a single point.
Alonso takes a car from 9th on the grid to 9th at the flag would be a more accurate summary.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,195 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Alonso takes a car from 9th on the grid to 9th at the flag would be a more accurate summary.
Agreed. Note the retirement of Schumi as well...

Quick Reply: 2012 Chinese Grand Prix