Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just signed up for iRacing: Do. Not. Like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Just signed up for iRacing: Do. Not. Like.

Maybe I just don't like it so far.... And it could be that my wheel is not good enough to enjoy, but so far I'm not a fan of iRacing.

To me it seems like the physics are only right when you are absolutely flogging it. I would like to be able to run consistent 9/10ths, not lighting the world on fire, but driving safely without flying off the track. I find the iracing cars to be twitchy and unforgiving. After some practice I can run 1:01s around limerock in the mx5 cup car, which is good enough to run mid pack in the public race before getting punted off. I guess it's just not what I expected.

I'm including a YouTube link to me driving an actual track day... I'm definitely not a pro racer, but I certainly don't spend any time worrying about my next off! I apologize to those of you have seen this vid before...

Am I the only on
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember no butt feel on a sim like that. For real drivers like us that make it harder since we have lost and important sense of what the car is doing on the track.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to try not shuffle steering. It might help.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
For real drivers like us that make it harder since we have lost an important sense of what the car is doing on the track.
Well, I think the proper equipment is absolutely necessary to get the best out of it. You also need a decent computer to render without stuttering the scenery. I work with (and race with online) plenty of "real racers" like Darren Turner, Justin Wilson and Patrick Long. Few of them use motion platforms.

Where it works well is training your eyes. Please, give it a chance.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Where it works well is training your eyes. Please, give it a chance.
As an amateur, I have to agree with this.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a full motion sim, so I have some of the "seat of the pants" feel; the hardest part for me is not having feedback from the tires.

also, what have you been driving in iracing? the MX5 is crap now with the new tire model. drive something faster, or with some downforce, and see if your opinion changes.

also I agree with Peter, it's an effective tool but perhaps not for what you want/need to work on.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to switch to the right hand drive 5 speed Mazda.
Failing that. Try some oval racing. If you can avoid the all wrecks and not get rear ended while getting around them, you can always get a good finish.
Lately I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a great sim driver, but it does help my REAL driving.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by car_slave
Lately I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a great sim driver, but it does help my REAL driving.
This is true for 90% of the people I know (as well as some GP drivers). Therein lies the value.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

also, what have you been driving in iracing? the MX5 is crap now with the new tire model. drive something faster, or with some downforce, and see if your opinion changes.
I started with the spec racer ford. I actually like the MX5 WAY better than the SRF. Maybe I should download a car that is not supposed to be on a spec tire.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

I recently started playing on iRacing mainly to learn the line at VIR since I am heading there in a few weeks for the first time. I am using an average laptop and the $150 logitech wheel. It took me a few days to get used to not feeling the car and of course it will never be the same. That being said, I am really enjoying it and am very happy that I signed up.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

The proper equipment definitely helps, as will driving cars like the MX-5. The SRF, the Solstice and the Skippy cars are too hard to drive I think and, can't be that difficult in real life. I know, since I race a Spec Racer Ford and the only time I fly off the track is when me, the dumb drive,r drove it at 12/10ths. You have to brake with 15% brake pressure in some of those other cars to avoid lock-up and catastrophe.

The circle track events are awesome, especially at the super speedways.

I find that the only people that say that sim racing doesn't translate and is a waste of time are those that lack the patience to give it a try and the humility to be slow in the beginning. It's an awesome tool, one I have our drivers use a lot and something that has helped me be fast at tracks I've never visited.

You can't put a dollar amount on a tool that allows you to go flat up through esses at Watkins Glen AND has a "reset" button for when you crash it dash-board deep to the gauges.

It's well worth the $ and a lot of fun at times.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The proper equipment definitely helps, as will driving cars like the MX-5.

I find that the only people that say that sim racing doesn't translate and is a waste of time are those that lack the patience to give it a try and the humility to be slow in the beginning.

It's an awesome tool, one I have our drivers use a lot and something that has helped me be fast at tracks I've never visited.

It's well worth the $ and a lot of fun at times.
^^THIS^^

It's a powerful tool, one that deserves the study and concentration you give the real thing.

The other bene is that when you practice in a quicker car, the slower car you actually drive on track seems easier. You can push the conscious act of driving the car down to the subconscious because you have that much more "headroom."

I worked with a Stohr driver that was doing 1:22's at Road Atlanta, doing a slow "track walk" and VERY detailed corner study with him in the Star Mazda.

Then, I had him practice in the Dallara with a MoTeC file export between runs to improve. We went over it and kept going until he could do easy single digit laps within a few tenths and even hundredths.

The following weekend, he went down for the National and did 1:19's in the Stohr, before the car broke... He said that after the Dallara, the Stohr was easy!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

^^THIS^^

It's a powerful tool, one that deserves the study and concentration you give the real thing.

The other bene is that when you practice in a quicker car, the slower car you actually drive on track seems easier. You can push the conscious act of driving the car down to the subconscious because you have that much more "headroom."

I worked with a Stohr driver that was doing 1:22's at Road Atlanta, doing a slow "track walk" and VERY detailed corner study with him in the Star Mazda.

Then, I had him practice in the Dallara with a MoTeC file export between runs to improve. We went over it and kept going until he could do easy single digit laps within a few tenths and even hundredths.

The following weekend, he went down for the National and did 1:19's in the Stohr, before the car broke... He said that after the Dallara, the Stohr was easy!
by MoTeC I assume you mean the McLaren telemetry in iracing?

do you use that a lot with clients?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
by MoTeC I assume you mean the McLaren telemetry in iracing?

do you use that a lot with clients?
Nope.

I'm not up to speed on the ATLAS (McLaren) software yet.

I use a cool plug-in to output iRacing runs to both MoTeC .ld and Racelogic (Performance Box and Video VBOX) .vbo files for comparison to real-life runs.

Works great and the only way to seriously tune the driver AND the car!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Nope.

I'm not up to speed on the ATLAS (McLaren) software yet.

I use a cool plug-in to output iRacing runs to both MoTeC .ld and Racelogic (Performance Box and Video VBOX) .vbo files for comparison to real-life runs.

Works great and the only way to seriously tune the driver AND the car!
ah, cool...I didn't know iracing had that capability, but then I don't have a data logging system.

Quick Reply: Just signed up for iRacing: Do. Not. Like.