Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just signed up for iRacing: Do. Not. Like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,780 Posts

One of the other good stories was remote coaching a Historic GP driver who had never been to Laguna Seca. Sent him a whole bunch of videos, detailed line drawings, sample data for corner speeds a few weeks in advance.

He then gave me his setup (ride height, spring rates, bars, rake, brake balance, diff pack, revs used, gear ratios, CWP and tire pressures) for his car and collected data on a run. I replicated his setup on Duncan's Lotus 79 in iRacing across the country and ran a lap .6 quicker than he practiced, then compared his real practice data with my synthetically generated lap data and after the comparison was complete, told him over the phone to control his speed better in T3, T5 and T11. He went back out and went .8 quicker than he did in practice next up in qualifying.

He sent the data again, I "drove" the synthetic HGP car, turning a lap .4 quicker synthetically than his qualy time. Then, I outputted that data, overlaid it on his real qualy data and told him that he had room to grow in T2 by moving the end of the braking zone closer to turn in, that he needed to reduce the equivocal throttle through T9 (under the pedestrian bridge) and that he had room to grow in T10.

He went out in the race, turned a high 1:22 (in a thirty year old F1 car) and matched my last run in every vMin within 1 mph, finishing third overall out of over thirty cars, a majority of drivers having had DECADES at that track! He ended up practicing twelfth, qualifying eighth and raced up to third!

Would he gotten quicker without that information? Sure, but not near as much as he wanted to (or felt he needed to) in the short time available.

Of course, he had to have the discipline, concentration and high level of skill to allow him to DO everything that we agreed on together was important, but this is simply AWESOME technology!

Did I tell you again that I thought it was really cool?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
One of the other good stories was remote coaching a Historic GP driver who had never been to Laguna Seca. Sent him a whole bunch of videos, detailed line drawings, sample data for corner speeds a few weeks in advance.

He then gave me his setup (ride height, spring rates, bars, rake, brake balance, diff pack, revs used, gear ratios, CWP and tire pressures) for his car and collected data on a run. I replicated his setup on Duncan's Lotus 79 in iRacing across the country and ran a lap .6 quicker than he practiced, then compared his real practice data with my synthetically generated lap data and after the comparison was complete, told him over the phone to control his speed better in T3, T5 and T11. He went back out and went .8 quicker than he did in practice next up in qualifying.

He sent the data again, I "drove" the synthetic HGP car, turning a lap .4 quicker synthetically than his qualy time. Then, I outputted that data, overlaid it on his real qualy data and told him that he had room to grow in T2 by moving the end of the braking zone closer to turn in, that he needed to reduce the equivocal throttle through T9 (under the pedestrian bridge) and that he had room to grow in T10.

He went out in the race, turned a high 1:22 (in a thirty year old F1 car) and matched my last run in every vMin within 1 mph, finishing third overall out of over thirty cars, a majority of drivers having had DECADES at that track! He ended up practicing twelfth, qualifying eighth and raced up to third!

Would he gotten quicker without that information? Sure, but not near as much as he wanted to (or felt he needed to) in the short time available.

Of course, he had to have the discipline, concentration and high level of skill to allow him to DO everything that we agreed on together was important, but this is simply AWESOME technology!

Did I tell you again that I thought it was really cool?
nice!

does iracing have you on their payroll? if they don't, they should

btw was the guy driving a Lotus 79? if not, it's interesting that setups across cars would have been so similar.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan, my first question would be, what is your sim racing experience? have you tried a lot of different racing sims? Or is this your first real foray into the genre.

What I can say for sure is that people who have invested a lot of time in racing sims can usually jump from one sim to another and adapt to the different physics quickly. People who rarely touch a racing game, have a hard time getting more enjoyment and experience out of it.

I do have to say that having the right hardware helps a ton, to make the experience more realistic. The logitech G25 and G27 wheels are most excellent for this. A cheap plastic wheel can actually make the experience worse.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im starting to piece together a rig. was looking at the fanatec csr elite for a wheel. but what pedals do yall use? i was planning to get the clubsport elite pedals as well. and a seuggestion on a stable rig without a crotch bar.. thanks in advance i cant wait to get into this
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The Fanatec is the latest from a reputable manufacturer. The Club Sport pedals are fine. I like Todd Cannons pedals or a hydraulic load cell on the G27 brake pedals. The Thrustmaster T500 is worth a look, too.

I love my Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit, but I don't mind the support on the several VisionRacer VR3's that I have. That's what I recommend to most folks, the VR3.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 599 Likes on 268 Posts

I hopped online Wednesday night and joined the Rennlist.com session at Summit Point in the Skip Barber car. DO NOT base your opinions on iRacing after driving this car. The baseline setup is awful, the car is impossible to drive without turning in on-throttle and the knife edge is too sharp. I gave up and then listened to other people with the same comments. Drive the MX-5. It's a blast!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Ryan, my first question would be, what is your sim racing experience? have you tried a lot of different racing sims? Or is this your first real foray into the genre.

What I can say for sure is that people who have invested a lot of time in racing sims can usually jump from one sim to another and adapt to the different physics quickly. People who rarely touch a racing game, have a hard time getting more enjoyment and experience out of it.

I do have to say that having the right hardware helps a ton, to make the experience more realistic. The logitech G25 and G27 wheels are most excellent for this. A cheap plastic wheel can actually make the experience worse.

I actually have quite a few hours driving Forza, which I really enjoyed.

As an update to starting this thread, I have started to adapt to my iRacing setup. Everything is coming much easier at this point. It doesn't seem as difficult to click off consistent laps in the MX5. I still am not a big fan of the the SRF / Skip Barber... but I'm guessing that they would come along if I put some effort into them.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I hopped online Wednesday night and joined the Rennlist.com session at Summit Point in the Skip Barber car. DO NOT base your opinions on iRacing after driving this car. The baseline setup is awful, the car is impossible to drive without turning in on-throttle and the knife edge is too sharp. I gave up and then listened to other people with the same comments. Drive the MX-5. It's a blast!
If you read the iRacing forums the "sim gurus" seem to think the base setup is pretty good..... I made the rear sway bar a little softer, reduced rear air pressure, and foud the snap oversteer was still awful unless my foot was ever so slightly on the gas. It seems to push like a dog on the gas, so I dropped the front ride height all the way. That seemed to help with the on throttle push, but certainly does not meet my definition of a good car. If the real one actually drives that bad, I don't know how they sell any seats in the damn thing. If anyone has a decent setup for this car I would love to see it!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:17 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

The MX-5 used to be great for beginners with the old tire model. It was very easy to jump into and find mid pack speed, the last little bit of speed is always elusive though.

With the new tire model you just really have to be patient with it for a couple of laps and once the tires come in it's still a great car to drive, just not quite as friendly as it used to be.

Honestly I have the most fun in the Mustang's. Fields are always huge, car is tricky to pick up at first but once you get a setup you like under the car times really start to drop. I think the best part about that car is there's no one fast setup from what I've seen, it's about getitng it setup to your particular driving style and having fun. Best part about the mustang for me is that despite the fact that it drives quite a bit different than the car that I track the lap times are similar so the sense of speed is very accurate to what I experience when I'm out there.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I guess because I have experience driving cars like them, I like the Star Mazda for a low-power, sticky car (same lap times as my race car IRL), the Radical and the HPD.

For GT cars, the Mustang and the C-6R are a LOT of fun.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

I guess because I have experience driving cars like them, I like the Star Mazda for a low-power, sticky car (same lap times as my race car IRL), the Radical and the HPD.

those and the Dallara are my favorite cars on iracing. I don't like the entry level cars.

also the Late Model is hilarious good fun on a short track.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
those and the Dallara are my favorite cars on iracing. I don't like the entry level cars.

also the Late Model is hilarious good fun on a short track.
The legends car is pretty fun too!!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
The legends car is pretty fun too!!
yeah, legends car is okay. assuming you can survive the inevitable first lap crash with the rookies.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Those are my favorites too. I think the HPD and Star Mazda reward good habits the most. I can catch slides with fast hands and it's faster to be on the gas pre-apex. Also the HPD has a good roster of fixed setups so I can jump into those and set competitive times without hours of refining.

You guys should join us on Wednesdays. It's a lot of fun, friendly, and it's cool that we get some pros to come out and play.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
Those are my favorites too. I think the HPD and Star Mazda reward good habits the most. I can catch slides with fast hands and it's faster to be on the gas pre-apex. Also the HPD has a good roster of fixed setups so I can jump into those and set competitive times without hours of refining.

You guys should join us on Wednesdays. It's a lot of fun, friendly, and it's cool that we get some pros to come out and play.
I do mostly Indycar fixed and HPD fixed (multiclass fixed) races, the setups are a bit understeery but overall pretty good. I used their default Sebring setup in the Sebring 120 and did okay.

and yes, the OP should join our reindeer games on Wednesday afternoon/evening. it's really chill, probably the only time in iracing you can wreck someone without hearing a bunch of f-bombs. and you never know who might join in

Quick Reply: Just signed up for iRacing: Do. Not. Like.