Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start of GT3 Challenge Race 2 and later crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my video from that start a bit further up front and a few other incidents. Will post ñater once I edited it. Maybe thats why i go into self preservation mode to finish the race and end up racing at 95% pace?
I w lacking a few tenths to run up front in the IMSA race, and all of them were aout taking risks on braking and corner entry. Its an awesome track where many take big chances!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the reason why myself and a few other I know will not race in GT3 Challenge.... some of the drivers have more money that brains/skills and it turns into a aggressive go-karting race with 200k cars.

Until I can have more money than brains I will stick with club racing.

This is NOT pro racing.... no PRO drivers can compete.

This is just club racing on a much larger budget, all you need to do is buy a cup car, hire a race team, and go to bob bondurant for a few days to get your licence.

one of the guys at our club was the GT3 challenge champion for 2 years and I have heard a lot of stories of the "talent" at these races.

Last edited by mobonic; 03-19-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe IMSA has ever "really" sanctioned anyone and also do not believe they've ever pulled anyone's license.

My bet is the only grounds for removal of license is a bankruptcy filiing by the license holder.

You'd think the black car driver at the beginning of the video would have a bit more "situational awareness" based on the amount of track time he's had the last 3-5 years.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
You'd think the black car driver at the beginning of the video would have a bit more "situational awareness" based on the amount of track time he's had the last 3-5 years.
You would think.

He was running in several classes at Sebring, won his IMSA lights class. Maybe he was tired.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A few comments based on the last few posts:

1) There is NO WAY you can call IMSA racing glorified Club Racing. I've Club Raced for 4 years and I can assure you this is a totally different animal on many levels. Until you've done both, I really don't think you're qualified to comment based on video or what you've heard others say.

2) As in ANY race series including ALMS, SuperCup, NASCAR AND PCA for that matter, there are always at least 1 or 2 drivers that probably shouldn't be there. Admirable that they want to do it but foolish that they are trying before they are ready. That said, 39 cars took the green flag in the first race and the entire race was without significant incident. Better than the first hour of this weekend in ALMS and generally better than NASCAR, F1 or SuperCup...

3) IMSA racing, to me, has nothing to do with budget, it has to do with competition. Are there guys who shouldn't be on the grid who are there simply because they can afford it, yeah... but the skill level of the vast majority of the drivers is VERY impressive and the competition is incredible. By the way, GT3 Challenge costs me minimally more than going to a Club Race at the Glen or Road America...

4) IMSA itself is a VERY well run organization and puts on a great race weekend. Don't bash IMSA when IMSA wasn't driving the car. Generally, IMSA does a really good job of licensure and policing on-track activity...as good as I've seen anywhere. The guys in these cars are to blame and it shouldn't reflect poorly on IMSA when they do stupid stuff. Sort of like, guns don't kill people... people kill people. Sort of like how people label "Cup Car Owners" in general at an average Club Race. Is it PCA's fault when they hit someone? NO.

5) You have to have an FIA license to apply for a IMSA license which is the same for Grand Am, Super Cup, F1, etc. So, although sanctioning body is IMSA, the license process is about as rigorous as you can get.

Guys, this is REALLY good racing which just happened to be marred by a couple of guys who did stupid things.

Last edited by PedroNole; 03-19-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Peter for bringing some clarification. As you stated, every mid-pack is messy, PCA....F1....Grand Am... and so forth. Every series has incompetent drivers, not just IMSA.

IMSA has never claimed to be a professional series. That statement comes from the participants embellishing the story. IMSA claims to be a semi-professional racing series, which I never understood what it exactly means.... it is like saying that somebody is semi-pregnant... whatever that means….

For those who believe that IMSA is like PCA but just more expensive, I would respectfully suggest them to come for a weekend and see where they rank on the time sheets. Then their opinion will be much more accurate. Maybe they will even realize that they have a shot to the Championship, who knows.

IMSA is professionally regulated and sanctioned with professional resources (cameras from the TV on for every corner analysis and so forth). Very rarely they make less than ideal calls and so forth, but overall, it is a FANTASTIC organization with as much passion for motorsports as any other series.

And a t a personal level, PCA taught me how to race. IMSA is teaching how to be a better racer and be paranoid with the attention to detail at every level. It is expensive but to me is worth every penny if I want to squeeze my skills to the maximum and understand my physical and mental limits.

Everything in life looks easy until you try it.

FAP.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, a question.
How difficult is it to get an FIA license?
The last time I looked it took a check and a passport photo but maybe I'm wrong.0?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These things happen especially when you have what is basically a spec class of cars with the same hp. Of course the overly optimistic moves of a few does not help the situation much.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by fapena
IMSA has never claimed to be a professional series.
FAP.
Respectfully, this is ABSOLUTELY not true!

IMSA was founded by John Bishop, who resigned from SCCA in order to sanction professional sports car races (along with his wife Peggy and Bill France, Jr.) after being in a position of leadership within SCCA, who decried and prohibited professional sports car racing of most kinds (except for the Can-Am, Trans-Am and F5000 series, active at the time).

The modern-day IMSA came out of PSCR (Professional Sports Car Racing), owned by Andy Evans.

IMSA IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN DEDICATED TO SANCTIONING PROFESSIONAL SPORTS CAR RACING IN THE US.

The fact that GT3 Cup drivers are not deriving a majority or even a minority of their income from competition has NOTHING to do with the professional sanctioning body administering and operating the event.

The GT3 Cup is an entry-level professional series. Like it or not.

The same things that attract Peter (the competition, being part of a properly run, big-time event and expecting a certain level of organization) are typical of professional sports car racing. That's why it IS more expensive to run. And why many people think it's WORTH it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fault. In this context, I was calling IMSA what in all reality it should have been called "IMSA Challenge GT3", a development series within IMSA.

Of course IMSA is a professional organization involved in professional racing as they are the ones governing and sanctioning ALMS among another series.

We both agree and are implying the same points. Thanks for your clarification.

FAP
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
The fact that GT3 Cup drivers are not deriving a majority or even a minority of their income from competition has NOTHING to do with the professional sanctioning body administering and operating the event.
What are you talking about? I got a whole $250 for my pole position at Laguna last year! Could almost buy a brake pad.... almost...

-mike
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleadh
What are you talking about? I got a whole $250 for my pole position at Laguna last year! Could almost buy a brake pad.... almost...

-mike
Real Money? Not bad! I'm glad if I get podium hat and reduced entry fee for next race..
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just jealous that I can't afford to race right now...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
Real Money? Not bad! I'm glad if I get podium hat and reduced entry fee for next race..
Actually, now that you mention it.. I'm not sure. I took a picture with one of those big goofy checks but I don't remember actually getting any money! I've been hoodwinked.

-mike
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Actually, now that you mention it.. I'm not sure. I took a picture with one of those big goofy checks but I don't remember actually getting any money! I've been hoodwinked.

-mike
Hahaha! Like I said, welcome to Pro racing!

FAP, we're on the same page. Cheers!

Peter, you're right! It's a whole 'nother level of GREAT competition, on a much more level playing field than PCA Club Racing. It's the perfect motivation to "dig deeper," literally and figuratively!

Quick Reply: Start of GT3 Challenge Race 2 and later crash