Sponsored by:

Brake issues on 996 GTS4 car- once great, now locking up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Replaced a wheel bearing last w/e trackside. HAd probs before and after (with brakes that is).

I do have a set of '03 version Cup calipers and rotors available to me for near nothing - worth the upgrade or more weight and headaches?
Check the ABS ring and sensor on the corner you replaced the wheel brg, if it is rear the ring is on the axle, if it is front there is still a ring, although a little different, and sensor and could thus still causing you a problem if they incurred any damage or change in proper gap between ring and sensor.
Make sense ?

As for the upgrade to Cup calipers ? When you need it you will KNOW you need it. It's when you are going much faster than you ever thought you could tho. The 996 brakes are surprisingly good. As well going to the Grand Am larger set up with the calipers spaced further out is a great upgrade before just going to bigger Cup calipers. Let me know if you have any other questions about this. I'm at the track (TWS PCA race) and know VR as well, you and him seem to talk so I will explain a little more to him as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I will but note that issue with the brakes preceded bearing change.

Someone swears the ABS issue is related to tire size. I'm running 266/645 18 and 305/645 18 Ho's.

Have been for two years with no locking issue but he may be correct about messing with the ABS's ability to reason. I think I have an old st of 240/280 Yoko's which I will throw on and see if I can engage the ABS.

What do you think of those tire sizes btw in the context of a '99 3.4L. Outstanding grip and USED to provide excellent braking. But am I over tired?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
I will but note that issue with the brakes preceded bearing change.

Someone swears the ABS issue is related to tire size. I'm running 266/645 18 and 305/645 18 Ho's.

Have been for two years with no locking issue but he may be correct about messing with the ABS's ability to reason. I think I have an old st of 240/280 Yoko's which I will throw on and see if I can engage the ABS.

What do you think of those tire sizes btw in the context of a '99 3.4L. Outstanding grip and USED to provide excellent braking. But am I over tired?
My thought was that maybe the wheel brg had been going out and already damaged the ring or sensor before you noticed the wheel brg itself being bad.

The tire size difference could cause it. I've actually see a set of old front tires with mismatched "newer" rear tires give an ABS system fits. The owner didn't believe me until a wheel tire swap with a friends matched tires magically fixed his ABS failures. He ordered 4 new tires and never had another ABS issue. So yes, tire size and dates can make a difference. I spoke to VR this weekend while we were at the same event together and discussed more with him since he is familiar with your car, he and I discussed the gutting of your car and both agree that would appear to be the most obvious culprit. The ground issue that is. I would recommend checking all these things discussed. None are very hard to check and with something like brakes, they are kind of important.
Please let us know what you find wrong.

Quick Reply: Brake issues on 996 GTS4 car- once great, now locking up