Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sebring 12 hour streaming

Help Please !

In Cincinnati there are many of us who cannot watch ESPN3 still as our ISP does not have a deal with ESPN3 and I only have a single ISP choice where I am located.

I really want to watch the 12 hour qual & the race.

Can any one give me a way around this?

I would happily pay my isp but that is not an option....

I hope someone can help.

Unfortunately americanlemans.com I believe only streams from their site if you are out of the US.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

No info or help from anyone?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Norm, I have no idea. But someone must know..
Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
dew-e
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ESPN3 requires an agreement between your ISP and them? I thought it was an open website where anybody could go to it and stream the videos.

If your ISP doesn't allow it, which is equivalent to censorship and what the entire net neutrality thing was about, your only option is to get onto a different network, think starbucks wifi, etc..

Or pay for a proxy service that will make the content stream look like it is coming from a site other than ESPN3. I don't really care for ehow, but quickly found this that talks about proxy services- http://www.ehow.com/how_5458081_view...xy-server.html

What the ESPN3 site says about their content-
"No Bandwidth Limits or Country Restrictions to Use from All Over the World. "

I'm guessing your have roadrunner/timewarner internet service as there are plenty of websites about them blocking ESPN3. Not what you asked, but you typically have two major ISP choices in metro areas, the cable company and the phone company. I know AT&T DSL/Uverse does not block ESPN3, and the other large vendors in Ohio Centurylink and Verizon do not block it either, that I'm aware of.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Try Verizon broadband if you have it.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I just tried to do this with local TWC. Problem is I use only broadband service, no TV or VOIP.

Time Warner will NOT allow me ESPN3 access without paying for a video/TV subscription I will not use...

SOB's...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 PM
dew-e
Advanced

If you have a fairly modern smartphone, you can call your provider and see if your device supports tethering and order tethering for the weekend or if it has a video output, jack it straight into your TV. With tethering you can use WIFI to stream the video to a pc/laptop.

HSPA+ and LTE will easily handle streaming media. 3G might be ok for it, but I could never keep a steady connection long enough to really like streaming on a 3G phone. LTE is faster than my home broadband, so that will work really well if available to you.

To me, it is just wrong that time warner/brighthouse or any carrier for that matter picks and chooses what you get to view with the network pipe that you have bought from them. If you are under your data quota, what do they care what you stream? Call/complain/switch providers if you can. Money is all they care about, so do what you can with your money.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Sign up for a proxy server in an area where ESPN3 is available. You should be able to just ask the provider and they can confirm.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys I will check out the suggestions!

Much appreciated!

Btw - I only have one ISP possible where I am living and it is Zoomtown DSL and they do not have an agreement with ESPN3 and have been trying for over a year to no avail...

Would have happily switched ISP's if I had another option right here...

I do have an AT&T Android 4G smartphone although most of AT&T including mine is not true 4G which is LTE; it is HSPA+ which is faster than 3G but several times slower than LTE...

If I tether my laptop to it the data will go over the cell data modem which means I will not have anywhere near the allowed amount of data. AT&T throttle data after 3Gigs even with my unlimited plan.

That said, it doesnt seem to matter since AT&T is not allowing me to go to ESPN3 on my smartphone since I dont have the UVerse subscription even thought they are the ISP on my smartphone...

That bites too...

Great idea though...

I will try the ehow paid proxy info hopefully that will work..
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't know what the plan is this year, but last year ESPN3 unblocked all ISPs for just Sebring. I'm normally blocked. I watched the whole race streamed through ESPN3 on my computer hooked to an S-video out on my flatscreen. Every other ALMS race I was blocked on.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 660 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I just tried to do this with local TWC. Problem is I use only broadband service, no TV or VOIP.

Time Warner will NOT allow me ESPN3 access without paying for a video/TV subscription I will not use...

SOB's...
Exactly the problem I'm having.
I have DirecTV for video/TV, and Time Warner for ISP. I was told the same...

Really sucks...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Default Sarcasm intended......

I don't understand why you are upset. You can see M. Kirilenko (RUS) vs. M. Sharapova (RUS) in the Women's WTA Quarterfinals.

Remember how ALMS proudly announced that its deal with ESPN and ABC would break new ground in broadcasting?

And there's the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships presented by Enterprise Rent-A-Car. So, like, there's a car connection...right? This breaks new ground. No?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

It's the same way they are breaking ground by charging you $3.99 to watch March Madness.

I tried to stream ALMS earlier. No dice. I'm not sure they'll let us get at it this year.

But keep an eye out here on raceday. For LeMans someone overseas posted a link that was streaming and not blocked. I watched most of the race through that link even though I couldn't get it through a US source. Maybe some kind soul will give us the same heads up with Sebring.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, another season for me not viewing ALMS. Thank goodness last year SPEED retained LeMan. Hopefully, they will carry it this year as well. Grand-Am now has some Ferrari 458s and Audi R8s running in GT, and the DPs are a little better looking, so watching it now isn't so bad. The old DPs were fuggly!

Quick Reply: Sebring 12 hour streaming