Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Arizona Guys--Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP)

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hey Arizona Guys--Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP)

Ran there yesterday at a PCA DE in a car I picked up on the way over--Ed Hughes '84 Targa "Ruby" that's somewhat modified, but definitely tire compromised on old Yoko A048s.

No clue what a good lap time is (or line, for that matter), but I ran a best of 1:56.35 following a guy in the final session, with consistent 1:57s in the earlier sessions. I think my first lap at speed (lap 2 of session 1) was a 2:01.

This is about the fifth track I've run on that didn't have any expert knowledge to draw from--Firebird opening day in '83, Buttonwillow within a few weeks of opening in '95, Reno within a couple of months of opening the original configuration in '03, and Thunderhill (original short course in '93/extension to 3.0 miles in the late '90s)--so I'm comfortable applying the old stage rally skills to getting close to figuring out what's what. I think.

Processing some video that I'll link to later.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The track has just reopened, I think they have only had one timed event since the noise restricted reopening, so not a whole lot of guys have found a muffler system that will qualify.
I think I heard of a 1:42 and a couple of 1:44's.
Hoping to have my exhaust redone in a month or two.
It is definately the best track in the state, I believe it was designed by the same guy that did Miller in Utah.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I saw a NASA event listed on MyLaps with the track owner, Dan Maloney, at ~1:44 in his 997 Cup. A Boxster Spyder and a 964 with unknown (but not extensive) modifications were easily 2-4 sec/lap quicker than me. As was a modified Fox-body Mustang 5.0 that I was chasing you'll see in the video that will be posted.

I'd guess my faux 993RS would be in the 1:50ish range on decent tires.

Driving away, I came to the same conclusion about our first time at Buttonwillow--easy to follow the lay of the land and safely run around the track, but there's a LOT of time to be gained if you really figure it out. Which everyone will.

As far as noise, with us running Laguna at 92db, I really don't see much of an issue getting quieted down. Even Dan said the muffler system he got set up with hardly makes a power difference.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Video displaying questionable talent:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

AMP is a fun little track. It was even better and faster five years ago when it was still fresh, Joe P set a lap in the low 1:53 IIRC.. A few weeks back I ran a 1:58 on old RA1s while shaking down a new setup on the 944, still plenty left, Brian Turner ran 1:48 in his well prepped 78 3.2 SC on Nittos a good benchmark. I'm taking the boxster out next weekend for a sound test hope it passes with the spec exhaust. The cup is a non starter unless I can get some serious reduction under 94db...sorry I missed you I was trying to make it but duty calls...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Ken! Congrats on your new 911!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
M758
Race Director

I ran there last back in 2004 and was able crank out a 1:52.8 in the 944 spec. At that time the track kept improving as it rubbered in. Since then it went dormant and only now has been back open. The only laps I have turned there was for a sound check on the east side of the track. I have not had the time to do an event there otherwise. I suspect the track to be slower than in 2004, but will rubber in and get faster.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Wished I could have met you guys! Anyone know whose white 911 caught/passed me easily (only to have the off in T1)? Supposedly the driver was a guy who runs a red 964 C2, and he's swapped with his friend who owns this car. (In the 964 he was 3-4 sec/lap quicker.)

For those of you not following over on the 911 Forum on what this whole purchase thing was all about, I'm taking the mechanicals completely out of this car to install on my ex-Spec 911 '73 RS clone. The longhoods, even a "T" are just too valuable to subject to racing anymore. Especially a zero rust, never-been-hit chassis. At least to me. All sorts of stock stuff I have laying around will be reinstalled to make the Targa a mere street car again.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Had no idea Ed sold his car. Glad you brought it out. I love AMP!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

White 911 was Erik Davis - a 1972 with a 3.2 engine and short stroke 3.0 crank
with "about" 230WHP and 2400# (correct me someone if not right )

Yes, AMP is a good safe track and more time is there for the learning/seat time. Erik's off on turn one looked like the passing of the Mustang kept him too fast and off line into the corner on probably questionable race tires.

Your line looks mostly good - just can carry a lot more speed into most of the corners if the tires will hold. Ain't that always the case...

It's nice to have other viewpoints about our Arizona tracks - Dan has put a lot of time, effort and money into AMP to provide us with a viable track - thanks Dan!

Regards,
Roy

Last edited by Sboxin; 03-12-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sboxin
White 911 was Erik Davis - a 1972 with a 3.2 engine and short stroke 3.0 crank
with "about" 230WHP and 2400# (correct me someone if not right )

Yes, AMP is a good safe track and more time is there for the learning/seat time. Erik's off on turn one looked like the passing of the Mustang kept him too fast and off line into the corner on probably questionable race tires.

Your line looks mostly good - just can carry a lot more speed into most of the corners if the tires will hold. Ain't that always the case...

It's nice to have other viewpoints about our Arizona tracks - Dan has put a lot of time, effort and money into AMP to provide us with a viable track - thanks Dan!

Regards,
Roy
So that car is Spec911-ish. Makes sense on acceleration I observed. Per Ed's dyno sheet, the 3.4 in the Targa is about the same at the wheels and a good 300 lbs. heavier. And unquestionably softer. But when it gets transplanted into my '73, it'll be amazingly close to the yellow car.

Also, as I mentioned above, someone told me that the drivers switched, and a guy who owns a red 964 C2 was behind the wheel. Thus his T1 off due to non-ABS unfamiliarity? Go back and study the video closely, and you'll see a HUGE black mark from a lockup/2 wheel off I had in exactly that same spot 2-3 laps earlier. (No, I'll likely not post that lap.........)

About carrying that speed--I was most definitely dancing the car. Whether it's me totally rusty in a torsion bar chassis car, 6 year old A032s with seemingly incorrect pressure, a soft brake pedal, or whatever else the excuse generator can come up with, those 3 laps were right in what I'd call an enduro pace comfort zone.

I wanted to make sure the car got on the trailer, and headed West on I-10 that afternoon. And leaving at 4pm, I made it to Buttonwillow before I had to nap for a few hours. If I didn't have to be home Sunday AM, I might have crashed the Speedventures weekend there! (Was really hoping for some Chuckwalla action on the way in the previous Friday, but no luck.)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Erik911RS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. That was my car, but I loaned it to a friend Steve Provost to drive. He was there in his Dad's red 964 with a 3.8L in it, but having brake issues. He has a similar car to mine, '71 RS Clone with 3.0L so he is familiar with non-boosted, non-ABS brakes. Also a Toyota Chassis engineer with a ton of track experience. Said he thought he had more room a the end of the straight. Last time I loaned it to him at Chuckwalla the throttle cable broke right before my race. No good deed goes unpunished they say...

I had run the track in 2004 a couple times, this was the first time back since then. Did 3 short sessions, 1:48.5 was my best with no traffic, old RA1s for tires, and short shifting by the sound meters... Better tires, all out full throttle and more seat time would reduce those time a bit.

Engine in the car is a 3.2 S/S stock SC heads with PMO's and relatively mild cams, small early heat exchangers/headers. Recent NASA dyno was 200 rwhp, but car is 2230 lbs with me and fuel.

Your car looked good. Could tell the brakes and tires weren't in your comfort zone. I passed you when I was driving in Steve's red 964 when you were locking up the fronts going into the corner after the big straight in the same spot Steve did as you mentioned. But definitely had some get up and go in that old red targa sleeper.

Hope to see you out again soon.

Erik Davis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey Arizona Guys--Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP)