Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Lap timer/ data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Lap timer/ data acquisition system?

Need help picking a Lap timer/ Data acquisition system.

I have .2RS that I do Time Trials with and I just bought a little Honda Prelude to race in Improved Touring. I am looking at spending less than $1200 on a system. It needs to be interchangeable between the two. Predictive lap timing is my main focus. Data acquisition, ability to download and overlay and play with data a plus.

I am leaning towards the Solo DL for simplicity and cost reasons but I do not believe the DL works with .2RS's.

Traqmate is the other option.

Being able to link it with a camera would be a huge plus.

What do you guys think?

Is there another system that I am not even thinking about?

TIA
Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race Keeper?

In happy with my traqmate though. Especially with the traqdash.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE997.2RS
I am leaning towards the Solo DL for simplicity and cost reasons but I do not believe the DL works with .2RS's.
i think a bunch of people from FL wrote here about buying Solo units, simplest thing would be to find somebody who already got one with ODB2 cord and give it a try in your car.
I cannot beleive that it may not work over ODB2 interface.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Texas2Step
Former Vendor

Traqmate. More people use it than any other system. It's simple to install and operate, and easy to share data with others.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Derik Royal
Intermediate

Jero, good to see you on the entry list for HMS. If you go the AIM route, catch up with me next weekend and I will give you an intro to a local AIM rep that has gone above and beyond with setting up the AIM dash and Smarty Cam in my car. Jerry is good people. He knows the Solo stuff too. amso3 is his user name on Rennlist.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The reason I chose the Solo DL over traqmate is the plethora of data that can be obtained through the CAN line. RPM, speed, TPS, brake pedal position, steering angle, individual wheel speed, gear position, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, and even less useful data like fuel level. All can be logged at up to 20Hz speed. CAN line is a simple 2 wire connection. That's it. With traqmate, if you want all of this data, it's an individual wire for EACH data channel, and you need to install your own sensors. Why do that if the car already has the data available? Plus, it's not easy and NOT cheap.

Cons of the Solo? the display is simple and not flashy, but in reality it's all I need. The Race Studio software is a bit difficult to figure out initially, but once you figure it out, it's very powerful. I have both an OBD2 cable and a CAN cable. OBD2 works, but you don't get as many data channels, and the resolution is lower. CAN all the way if your car is supported. I successfully connected to my friend's 2010 997.2 GT3 CAN line directly from the ECU, ran the line under the carpet, and placed the harness in the center console lid. We used the Bosch 997_GT3 ECU protocol and it works perfectly.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Here's the link that explains how to connect to the CAN lines on a GT3:
http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa....1_100_eng.pdf

I've got no stake in AiM. I did a bunch of research on all of the options and think I made a good choice.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Thanks derik. I was gonna do the race eval but it was full. Is that your miata?

Let's hook up or sure man.

Also is the .2RS compatible with the DL finally? If it is, it would be a no brainer
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

You can check out a good read on the comparisons of a couple of units and what to look into at http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...quisition.html and a history or different video systems at http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...e-to-edit.html

To me the big difference between Traqmate and the AiM SOLO is in the software. I find AiM's Race Studio 2 to be much easier to use and it is much more powerful. You can download both for free to check out, so I would suggest that. The software is where you are going to learn and get quicker, not in the units display.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

To me the big difference between Traqmate and the AiM SOLO is in the software. I find AiM's Race Studio 2 to be much easier to use and it is much more powerful. You can download both for free to check out, so I would suggest that. The software is where you are going to learn and get quicker, not in the units display.
My experience after selling and using Traqmate for seven years and AiM for three is that while the AiM software is much more powerful (you can manipulate raw data in more different ways and construct math channels to do that) that the Traqview and TraqStudio software is still much simpler.

The pre-loaded templates allow useful information to be displayed very quickly and without making a template (like you need to do in RS2). Also, without video integration, AiM RS2 severely hobbles the "visual learning" crowd.

I love 'em both, but the buyer has to identify, with the assistance of someone experienced, what is important to them and how best they assimilate information. That's why all of these systems are relevant and useful, just some are easier to use than others.

1) The MAJOR reason to pick the Solo DL over a Traqmate Basic (exactly the same money) is IF you have a newer (2006 or later) car and want to leverage access to the information from sensors already on the car through CAN or OBD-II.

2) If you have an older car, the Traqmate is equal or better than the Solo DL for raw speed, accelerometer, mapping and the ease of displaying that data.

You trade off simplicity for power and leveraging the raw data.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading on another thread that guys were having trouble on the 997.2 GT3 RS.

I'm trying to decide as one as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 AM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Thanks for comments. I appreciate all the info. The gt3 RS was confirmed as working through OBD2. HaS not bee confirmed on canbus. 4.0 RS confirmed through canbus. I think it depends on the particiular DL unit. Later ones seem to be working.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 AM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Drank: nic color choice btw!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a note:

I purchased my data rig through Peter and highly recommend that others who might be new to the game do so also.

Peter knows what the hell he is doing and brings all of that experience to the table with support, recommendations and help with the initial setup.

Kai
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Were I you....

and you want Predictive Lab Timing, + a lot of other features, I'd buy the Racepak IQ3 that I have for sale. It is the real deal...but, it can't be moved ***** nilly from car to car.

Quick Reply: Which Lap timer/ data acquisition system?