Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Choices.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike - if you are looking for numbers in a Hawk group buy most of the NorCal 944Spec are running Blues and would add to the numbers if you needed.

(Sorry for the thread jack Scott)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Hawk brake compounds Andrew Racing has put together a nice comparison chart here:

http://andrew-racing.com/rt-550-brak...g-classes.html

and I like Pegasus Racings compound descriptions here

Hawk: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/do...ocID=TECH00062
PF: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=PFCRACEPADS
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I think the only options for the 930 calipers are the 97 and 01 compounds. What are the pros and cons between these two compounds for a light car?

Scott
I guess I would agree with Viking in that perhaps the 97's may be better for a very light weight car like yours...
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I guess I would agree with Viking in that perhaps the 97's may be better for a very light weight car like yours...
VR and Viking,

It sounds like the 97 compound is what I would try.

Now, from everything I have read, its sounds like the PFC97 pads will be easier on the rotors than the Hawk Blue 9012 pads. Do you think that is the case?

How long do you think the PFC97 pads will last compared to the Hawks Blue 9012 pads? From what I understand, the PFC97 pads work great almost all the way to the backing plate. Apparently, the Hawks Blue 9012 pads need to be changed much sooner than that.

The price difference between the two pads is negligible. If I can get better rotor life and equal to better pad life along with better control, it seems like a no brainer.

Scott
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, pad life should be better with the PFC's.
For me, and most of my customers, we replace them long before the pad is down to the backing plate. I go by when I see the heat transfer in the pad getting near the backing plate, it is pretty visible and obvious to see. Even then the pad life is much great than most other pads lifes such as Hawk, Pagid, etc.

Of course each driver and car is different so you really do need to get some data on both sets of pads you try and feel which works best you and your car. I must add that there have been times where a slightly slower pad was better feel for a driver which allowed them less mistakes so it was the better pad even thou not technically the fastest pad.

Enjoy the testing and let us know how you like the 97's and if they work better for you.
Carrera51 is Mark at OG racing and he is also a good contact to ask for different pad feel, he also is a dealer for Hawk AND PFC so he won't be biased selling you either. I sell parts to my customers but don't do much mail order parts business. Mark at OG will gladly ship you anything you need. OG is a Rennlist sponsor as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I used PFC 97s for a while and gave up on them after I kept bending the backing plates and completely destroying them after a single weekend (see pic below). Mark told me Pagids transferred less heat so I switched to Yellows/Blacks and have never looked back. Awesome pads and a night and day difference from the 97s.

My car is heavy (2900 lbs) with toy brakes so this doesn't apply to the OP, but I just thought I would provide my experience for others... 97s are NOT good for heavy cars with marginal brakes. BTW at the time, I had the "standard" ducted rotor cooling from the front bumper and Motul 600 fluid.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Astroman
I used PFC 97s for a while and gave up on them after I kept bending the backing plates and completely destroying them after a single weekend (see pic below). Mark told me Pagids transferred less heat so I switched to Yellows/Blacks and have never looked back. Awesome pads and a night and day difference from the 97s.

My car is heavy (2900 lbs) with toy brakes so this doesn't apply to the OP, but I just thought I would provide my experience for others... 97s are NOT good for heavy cars with marginal brakes. BTW at the time, I had the "standard" ducted rotor cooling from the front bumper and Motul 600 fluid.
When racing in certain classes you must sometimes deal with situations like those. I believe his car is much lighter and also has much more caliper than you do.

There also are some other ways to deal with that excessive heat transfer when that is an issue. As I said before that is why everyone must test and compile data to see what works best for each individual and car application.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Scott,
My spec 911 used to be a different animal a few years back when I didn't know which direction I was headed. It had 930 calipers on custom rotors, a full ERP suspension, and 930 sized fender flares. My car weighed less than your GTL and had much less power as I still had my 3.0 liter motor in it. I started out with Pagid yellow pads and then migrated to PFC 97 at it was easier to drive my car with this pad. The PFC 97 was easy to modulate and it was easy on my rotors. I currently use Hawk blue pads on my spec 911 as that is what Rich Walton recommends.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Yep, pad life should be better with the PFC's.
For me, and most of my customers, we replace them long before the pad is down to the backing plate. I go by when I see the heat transfer in the pad getting near the backing plate, it is pretty visible and obvious to see. Even then the pad life is much great than most other pads lifes such as Hawk, Pagid, etc.

Of course each driver and car is different so you really do need to get some data on both sets of pads you try and feel which works best you and your car. I must add that there have been times where a slightly slower pad was better feel for a driver which allowed them less mistakes so it was the better pad even thou not technically the fastest pad.

Enjoy the testing and let us know how you like the 97's and if they work better for you.
Carrera51 is Mark at OG racing and he is also a good contact to ask for different pad feel, he also is a dealer for Hawk AND PFC so he won't be biased selling you either. I sell parts to my customers but don't do much mail order parts business. Mark at OG will gladly ship you anything you need. OG is a Rennlist sponsor as well.
Thank you for the information on determining when it is time to replace the PFC97 pads.

My plan is to run through the Hawk Blue pads that I have in the calipers now and, when they are done, replace them with PFC97 pads. It may be a while since the Hawk pads are brand new. I will try to remember to update this thread once I have some time on the PFC97 pads.

Yes, I would buy the pads from Mark at OG Racing. That is where I got my last set of Hawk Blue pads. Mark has been great to deal with and I try to buy from him if OG Racing sells what I am buying. He says the PFC97 pads would be a good choice for my car.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Scott
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Jack - I think you might have something else going on there. Did you find that was happening for both fronts or just one?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Jack - I think you might have something else going on there.
I agree, never saw that before... and I have 0 added cooling.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Jack - I think you might have something else going on there. Did you find that was happening for both fronts or just one?
Originally Posted by Gary R.
I know... it was very troubling.

It happened in all 4 calipers. I did all the usual things: rotor colling, good fresh fluid, I even use those titanium shims. I thought that maybe I wasn't setting the 20 degree piston angle correctly when I was rebuilding my calipers, but that wasn't the case either. No rotor or wheel bearing problems either.

I have not had the problem again since switching to Pagids. I guess the maximum operating temp must be much higher for the Pagids?

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I would welcome any PMs with other suggestions (even though it hasn't continued to be a problem).
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, but you don't go fast enough to get any heat in the brakes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Astroman
I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I would welcome any PMs with other suggestions (even though it hasn't continued to be a problem).
No worries. Good information is good information. Threads always morph somewhat and I got the information I needed.

Scott
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes, but you don't go fast enough to get any heat in the brakes
At least I actually run, you still have stickers and brakes from two years ago!!

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Choices.....