Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accurate Assessment of Schumacher Age 43 by a former teammate

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Reminds me of this Daniel Tosh bit: http://digg.com/news/entertainment/d...vre_retirement

Speaking of quarterbacks, uh, brett favre-- I love that everybody gave him so much grief to retire.
Brett favre should retire. Are you out of your mind? He makes $12 million a year to play a game.
"Yeah, " "hey, brett, the whole world " "you said $12 million, right?
Yeah, they can go **** THEMSELVES."
I would never quit, are you kidding me?
What about in four years? He's not good enough to be a starter, but he could be a backup in the nfl. Do you know what that pays? About $4 to $5 million.
"Uh, yep, " how about ten years? Not good enough to be a backup. But he could be on the practice squad. Do you know what that pays? About $850,000.
"Uh, yep, I'm gonna do that as well."
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 6point3
He has been a very generous man with his money...he has donated an estimated $5-$10 million to the William J. Clinton Foundation, yes the former president.
If this is true, then this is one of the very few things I can say I dislike about MS.
Of course what he does with his money is not my business.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

But on the racing side, I propose that he is staying involved in a meaningful way by developing the Mercedes. While it is true that he "may" have lost something, he also has all that experience. With the car improving, he might just pop in there for a win yet. On a day and circuit where he can put that experience, and the car, and when he is just on that day, all to work. Or a least a couple of podiums which would be a good thing for Mercedes, for F1, and for MS as well.

I would think he does not want to be a car owner - he knows how much that costs. He does not want to be just a consultant. He does not want to do TV. So he is in the best spot doing it all and driving and developing. And adding to his bank account some all at the same time.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,750 Posts

I look back on that wet afternoon in Montreal when the gap between the top cars and all the others was minimized due to the rain and Schumacher was running in a podium position. The wetter it was, the better he was.... unfortunately, it stopped raining and the track began to dry out and the MB didn't have the pace of the McLaren's in the dry, but it showed that he still had the speed when the rain leveled the playing field.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll take a 95% MS for a 100% Alonso any day
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see anyone holding a gun to Daimler's head to keep him employed.

But bigger picture, who here has been at it on track for pushing 30 years? As I'm 50 in a few months, no way, no how do I think I have the same physical skills as I had when I first strapped in at 21. (Feel free to relate an activity you've been doing throughout your adult life, into middle age.) Specifically, my footwork is absolutely pathetic in the Radical, compared to what I sort of remember having to negotiate a Hewland in an FF or FA in my mid-20s.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's a couple of pictures of Michael in retirement. I think he does this for the same simple reason we all do, because he loves it...
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

We will never be as fast as we once were right Ken? LOL
I just got smoked by my 13 year old at the kart track at MSR a couple of weeks ago. His reaction time is staggering. I knew that day would come eventually but I didn't think it would be this soon.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Here's a couple of pictures of Michael in retirement. I think he does this for the same simple reason we all do, because he loves it...
I don't know if the shot in the kart is at the SKUSA Super Nationals, but he was with Tony Kart a couple years back in Vegas for that event at the Rio Hotel. When a 7 time F1 WDC goes out and races karts in the off season against pros, I don't think he cares what others think about his legacy or reputation. He just wants to race. As someone else said, it sounds like Patrick Long's responses in Automobile magazine where he said if he wasn't racing.... he'd be racing.....
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
If this is true, then this is one of the very few things I can say I dislike about MS.
Of course what he does with his money is not my business.

I am sure it is true, but have you ever bothered to research what that foundation does? Bush Senior has worked with Clinton on this very program so don't assume it is a political platform.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
MS should have stayed retired. It would have been better to leave F1 in a competitive form than to comeback now and simply not be able to run at your former pace.
Maybe he just likes driving F1 cars. Hell, I'd happily lose every Grand Prix if someone would pay for me to drive in them.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

He looked pretty quick in Australia (although I can't decide if I buy the gearbox problem as being the cause of his retirement). If he was better than the rest of his competitors in his prime, I'd say he's at least "as good" as most of his competitors now. Add to that his experience and ability to develop a car and I think its pretty easy to justify having him on the grid. I'm anxious to see how he runs this year.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
^^^FTW!!!

I think he finally has a competitive car this year and I see a few podiums coming in the near future. At least this MS fan hopes so...LOL

Quick Reply: Accurate Assessment of Schumacher Age 43 by a former teammate