Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exercise for racing...anybody really do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Not a racer, but I find Yoga to be very helpful. I do it everyday ... Let the ball breaking begin.
I'm sure yoga has its benefits.
Attached Images  

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Benched 390 last week, hoping to go back over 400 before Road Atlanta.
Dude, that's a small house. At 46, lifting heavy like that is over for me. Torn pec and back surgery fixed that.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I tried the juicer thing a few years ago. No problem juicing, but what a pain to clean up. What time of the day do you drink it? I've also heard that if you juice it, you have to drink it right away as storing it in the frige makes it lose vitamins. Not sure how true that is. I sincerely hope your wife is doing well. I will pray for her also.
I juice around 7:45 to 8pm then put it the fridge till morning. Takes me about half hour to wash all the vegtables do the jucing (about 2 minuts) and do all the hand wash clean-up. I leave for work at 4:45 am and don't have time the morning. Wife gets up at 6:45 usally drinks hers about 9 to 10am. I can't get up any earlier since getting up early allows me time to go the gym on the way home from work and still be at home for dinner. We have a 5 year old so I want to spend time with her before bed .

So we can't really juice the day of. I make 1 batch about 900 to 1000 ml and split it in cups if we extra I drink it that night. On the weekends I juice the day of. From what I hear you get about a day and it is ok. Even so I would rather do it this way than to not juice at all and know I am getting alot more vitamins now that I did before. Both of us have much more regular bowl movments. It has been a issue for her that was just make worse with all the cancer treatments.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M758
I juice around 7:45 to 8pm then put it the fridge till morning. Takes me about half hour to wash all the vegtables do the jucing (about 2 minuts) and do all the hand wash clean-up. I leave for work at 4:45 am and don't have time the morning. Wife gets up at 6:45 usally drinks hers about 9 to 10am. I can't get up any earlier since getting up early allows me time to go the gym on the way home from work and still be at home for dinner. We have a 5 year old so I want to spend time with her before bed .

So we can't really juice the day of. I make 1 batch about 900 to 1000 ml and split it in cups if we extra I drink it that night. On the weekends I juice the day of. From what I hear you get about a day and it is ok. Even so I would rather do it this way than to not juice at all and know I am getting alot more vitamins now that I did before. Both of us have much more regular bowl movments. It has been a issue for her that was just make worse with all the cancer treatments.
Thanks Joe. I may revisit the idea and try to con my wife into doing it. She her hands full with our two though, 3 and 5. If you don't mind, please share the typical recipe...e.g. 1 whole apple, two large broccoli equal 12oz of juice.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I juice right after I put our 5 year old to bed.

Recipe.

Bunch of Kale - Hand full
Bunch of Spinach - Hand full

On regular store bought batch of kale lastets 4 days or so. Spinach tend to be larger bunchs so 5 days maybe.

I wrap these in 4 stalks of celery . I have Brevelle juicer and just putting in the leafy stuff does not work really well. Wraping it celery allows it to chop up better an extract more juice.

Makes 200 ML

Then
Then 1 full broccoli stalk. Head the stem. I often rip off the tips to fit in juice.
Fills to 300 ML

Then 1 large cucumber
Then 2 or 3 carrots depending on size
Then 1 granny smith apple.

Should make 800 to 900 ML of juice. If I am at only 800 ml I add another cucumber to bring me to over 1000ml.
Some times I add in bluberries or srawberries in the juice as well as change of pace. A bit of lemon (like 1/8 of lemon) can be added in adjust flavor.

This stuff is rather hardcore for most. Wife made some juice for her sister and it was too bitter so she did 2 apples to start out with. It will make you really gassy to start out so be prepared for that.

BTW... I made a special juice for my 5 year old and she loved it.
4-5 strawberries, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk and 1 apple. Made about 400 ML and my 5 year old loved it. A nice fresh "treat" as it was very sweet and red. Figure it is alot better than store bought juice as it was all natural. Might do it again, but that is not great for every day drinking as there is ALOT of sugar in it.

Also some people swear by organic. I don't as jucing is not cheap to start with and simply cannot afford to spend 2x just for organic. Again I prefer to believe that what I am doing is alot better than not doing it so where is the downside?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, some of you guys are pretty hard core... I'll add what I do - just so others don't feel too bad!

I do 30 minutes on an elliptical two, sometimes three, times a week. Get my heart rate in the high 130s, low 140s. I watch racing videos on YouTube while doing it...

I've been doing this for about a year, and have definitely noticed that my fatigue behind the wheel is reduced.

I don't eat as well as I should... But not too bad (I hope).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M758
I juice right after I put our 5 year old to bed.

Recipe.

Bunch of Kale - Hand full
Bunch of Spinach - Hand full

On regular store bought batch of kale lastets 4 days or so. Spinach tend to be larger bunchs so 5 days maybe.

I wrap these in 4 stalks of celery . I have Brevelle juicer and just putting in the leafy stuff does not work really well. Wraping it celery allows it to chop up better an extract more juice.

Makes 200 ML

Then
Then 1 full broccoli stalk. Head the stem. I often rip off the tips to fit in juice.
Fills to 300 ML

Then 1 large cucumber
Then 2 or 3 carrots depending on size
Then 1 granny smith apple.

Should make 800 to 900 ML of juice. If I am at only 800 ml I add another cucumber to bring me to over 1000ml.
Some times I add in bluberries or srawberries in the juice as well as change of pace. A bit of lemon (like 1/8 of lemon) can be added in adjust flavor.

This stuff is rather hardcore for most. Wife made some juice for her sister and it was too bitter so she did 2 apples to start out with. It will make you really gassy to start out so be prepared for that.

BTW... I made a special juice for my 5 year old and she loved it.
4-5 strawberries, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk and 1 apple. Made about 400 ML and my 5 year old loved it. A nice fresh "treat" as it was very sweet and red. Figure it is alot better than store bought juice as it was all natural. Might do it again, but that is not great for every day drinking as there is ALOT of sugar in it.

Also some people swear by organic. I don't as jucing is not cheap to start with and simply cannot afford to spend 2x just for organic. Again I prefer to believe that what I am doing is alot better than not doing it so where is the downside?
Awesome! Thanks Joe. Never thought about it for my kids...great idea. Ain't rennlist cool?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Interesting. Unfortunately, I can't do that at the gym... Maybe I could do mental laps and holding those medicine *****.

c.
On business trips I can be seen in the gym with a medicine ball in my hands doing the steering thing while riding a bike with my cell phone and headset and interviewing candidates for positions on my team! LOL! Of course, I slow down so I don't freak them out with heavy breathing!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Wow, some of you guys are pretty hard core... I'll add what I do - just so others don't feel too bad!

I do 30 minutes on an elliptical two, sometimes three, times a week. Get my heart rate in the high 130s, low 140s. I watch racing videos on YouTube while doing it...

I've been doing this for about a year, and have definitely noticed that my fatigue behind the wheel is reduced.

I don't eat as well as I should... But not too bad (I hope).
Hey the youtube idea is great. I have a tv in the garage, so I'm unsure how I would do it. But, watching race videos of tracks I'm about to race is very good. Hmmm. Maybe I could rig my xbox so I could drive Road Atlanta on Forza while I bike! Only problem would be the throttle and braking.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the insanity work out 4 times a week. Cardio and plyometrics.
I used to run 60 to 80 miles a week in college for track, and insanity seems just as tough.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm on the old side of the bell curve @ 67. I go to the gym 2 x per week and spend 20 min on an "Arc Trainer" for cardio. I do some weight training loosely based on Hamilton's workout http://www.fhm.com.au/hamiltons-f1-workout.htm . In good weather, I ride a bike about 10 miles twice a week.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you use it?
Not personally but two close friends have worked with him and speak very highly of it. And a large number of pro guys work with him too. Based in Indy so there is a high % of the IRL and IndyPro guys. But he's one of the few that focus on the driving world.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Without trying to be repetitive of others here, and in no particular order

-balanced diet
-lots of water and low-sugar juices
-running
-biking
-aggressive walking
-lots of crunches and back lifts
-lots of pull ups, both open hand and closed hand
-lots of push ups
-yoga
-racquetball
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I like to road bike and do alot of group rides. On the faster rides, besides the cardio, you have to practice situational awareness, traffic management, looking far ahead etc...The cardio definitely helps me in the car, especially in the heat of summer. You make far fewer mental mistakes in a high heat environment when you are fit.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 246 Posts

How is the Ferrari?
Love the car but the series is kind of a mess. Poorly run and generally unorganized. I'm looking forward to seeing east coast tracks in 2012 and then I am sure I will end up back in NASA after that. Still loving the Baby Cup as well, though I have not raced it since September. My last two NASA races I ran in my '83 911.

One more work out thing I do is the whole simulated steering wheel thing. I hold two ten pound plates in my hands with arms extended and do reps turning left and right. When I fatigue I drop one plate and finish up with just 10 lbs. I do this at the very end of my workout when I am already tired and its the last thing before heading home. Surprisingly hard if I already worked chest and shoulders that day!

Quick Reply: Exercise for racing...anybody really do it?