Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exercise for racing...anybody really do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I'm sure yoga has its benefits.
Oh my...

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
The right instructor is the key to a healthy body.
Oh my......................

Originally Posted by danielyonker
I had to rub one out after checking out the yoga instructor. That counts as exercise, no?
Uh...yeah...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

45 minutes of naked pushups just before bed with the significant other.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a competitive cyclist for the past 12 years, both Road and MTB, I find it has helped tremendously when I started doing DE's. It's all about eye/hand coordination, control of all motor functions, being smooth and the Ninja skills you obtain from the MTB! Florida is all single track with tight technical trails and power climbs for those wondering about "Mountain" biking in Florida. Training in FL has made me a pretty good climber when I do go to the mountains.

- MTB 20-50 miles 3 days a week (lots of Fast group rides)
- Roadbike 35-55 miles 30+mph paceline 2 days a week
- Century once every month or two
- Nutrient Dense Food and lots of it!!! + good clean water while we have it!
- Pilates, Ashtanga Yoga, and Weight Training
- Youtube videos
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend squash if you have access to a court. Not only is it excellent for aerobics and core strength it also improves eye to hand coordination. I also find that the decision making time is about the same as racing...keeps the mind sharp. Tough on the knees but by the time they go the new cups will all have PDK's anyway
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 276 Posts

This looks like it will work, but may put me into a coma at my age and size.
Without a doubt, when you first start doing this place your hands next to your head as a spotter instead of behing your back. You can hurt yourself pretty good if your neck is not strong enough to do this in a controlled fashion. No doubt I would be taking that route if I were to try and do this at this stage in life.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run in the hotter times of the day to acclimate myself for the heat. Weights are pretty standard. Push ups and core body strengthening. Lots of stretching. Jumping rope. Riding motorcycles.
I suck at video games and simulators, they have never been a help for me, they just frustrate me, but I seem to do ok in a real car.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leica356
As a competitive cyclist for the past 12 years, both Road and MTB, I find it has helped tremendously when I started doing DE's. It's all about eye/hand coordination, control of all motor functions, being smooth and the Ninja skills you obtain from the MTB! Florida is all single track with tight technical trails and power climbs for those wondering about "Mountain" biking in Florida. Training in FL has made me a pretty good climber when I do go to the mountains.

- MTB 20-50 miles 3 days a week (lots of Fast group rides)
- Roadbike 35-55 miles 30+mph paceline 2 days a week
- Century once every month or two
- Nutrient Dense Food and lots of it!!! + good clean water while we have it!
- Pilates, Ashtanga Yoga, and Weight Training
- Youtube videos
not competitive by any stretch, but I would agree that cycling helps in just about any activity, especially mtb. besides the obvious of endurance and aerobic training, you really have to learn balance, weight transfer, understanding of grip in various conditions, camber, and most important, recovery when something goes wrong.

I actually was having difficulty at the last race because I was "looking down" instead of "looking where I wanted to go". I nearly slapped myself and said "you would never do that on a bike", and bam, no more problem with the corner.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

After a hectic race weekend at the SCCA nationals, I def need to beef up my training game. I ran two classes and had one of the best races in my life Sunday morning. It was a cool morning and did not get hot at all during the day. I stayed on the bumper of one of the top guys in the nation in SM and ran the best time I've ever had at RRR with the pinata at 1:21.75. Didn't do well on the restart after a nasty crash and double yellow, but still took 3rd after all was said and done.

2nd race was even more competitive, but I was running out of energy after 3 days of racing. Made some really stupid mistakes and lost positions after gaining some on the start, including going off track and almost into the trees. I just wasn't sharp and very tired. I also noticed my balaclava was wet after the race, even though I was dry and fairly cool everywhere else. Perhaps I need to invest in something to keep my head cool before the summer. May have made a difference. I went to different tires as well, with one heat cycle (R6) and the car handled very poorly in comparison with the morning with tires that had 5+ cycles. Don't really understand that. I will certainly pull from the suggestions made here and develop a better exercise routine.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I also noticed my balaclava was wet after the race, even though I was dry and fairly cool everywhere else. Perhaps I need to invest in something to keep my head cool before the summer. May have made a difference.
I ran a helmet blower for the first time at Daytona this year, it was AWESOME. I didn't run a cool suit (i've ran this in my own car sometimes) or a drink bottle and was fine.

-mike
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fleadh
I ran a helmet blower for the first time at Daytona this year, it was AWESOME. I didn't run a cool suit (i've ran this in my own car sometimes) or a drink bottle and was fine.

-mike
Maybe it's time for a purchase. What is a good one and what about a side intake for a helmet? I don't have enough room to have it on time of he helmet. Oh and does it bother your eyes at all?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

could it be mental fatigue?

I know I do better with just one race per day. More than that I really need to re-focus. It is a qualfying race it is fine since it sort like a "pre-race" and leave a little in resereve mentally.

As for getting tired over 3 days of racing... Good rest between races and a good night's sleep. This along with good hyrdration and nutrition are important. Being in good shape helps during the race, but between races and day is more about recovery. I am aways exhaust after a day at the track and need to go be early to rest for the next day. I use alot of energy at the track between simple car prep and the driving. Multiple races on a day is where a crew is important. Allowing you to rest in the motorhome in A/C comfort with one "yoga" instructors show here to rub out any stress you may have between track time. Oh the life....
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M758
could it be mental fatigue?

I know I do better with just one race per day. More than that I really need to re-focus. It is a qualfying race it is fine since it sort like a "pre-race" and leave a little in resereve mentally.

As for getting tired over 3 days of racing... Good rest between races and a good night's sleep. This along with good hyrdration and nutrition are important. Being in good shape helps during the race, but between races and day is more about recovery. I am aways exhaust after a day at the track and need to go be early to rest for the next day. I use alot of energy at the track between simple car prep and the driving. Multiple races on a day is where a crew is important. Allowing you to rest in the motorhome in A/C comfort with one "yoga" instructors show here to rub out any stress you may have between track time. Oh the life....
Def could be some mental fatigue as well. That is the typical weekend though...usually a double regional or a national with 2 classes...more bang for the buck and helps with my lack of track time last year. I do rest during the evenings, hydrate and relax with my kids. After the kids go to be, then a de-stressing session with my personal "yoga" instructor. Thankfully, I live close to this particular track. I always run with a great team that takes care of the car when I can...Autometrics for Porsche and OPM for the pinata. That helps SO much!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I'd recommend squash if you have access to a court. Not only is it excellent for aerobics and core strength it also improves eye to hand coordination. I also find that the decision making time is about the same as racing...keeps the mind sharp. Tough on the knees but by the time they go the new cups will all have PDK's anyway
Highly recommend Squash too. It's a great way to maintain a high level of fitness (both mental and physical). But i must say, you have to be fit to play squash, the otherway round typically does not yield the best results.
I play about 3 days a week and train for squash the rest of the days.

Quick Reply: Exercise for racing...anybody really do it?