Originally Posted by orthojoe
Is this with a CAN connection, or OBD2?

OBD2 connection

Set it up in the software as the CPU MFG as OBD2 and connection as Can
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah obd2 will only get you that limited info. If you want the full list of channels, you have to use the CAN line connection. The only guys that get full access to all info through the obd2 port are the Nissan GTR guys

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-15-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,093 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The only guys that get full access to all info through the obd2 port are the Nissan GTR guys
That's not true. I got everything on a 2007 Grand Sport C6 this past weekend through a OBD-II plug to the Solo DL.

Yaw rate of change in degrees/second was COOL!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Add C6 to the list, then! I don't know why all car manufacturers don't give you everything through the obd2 port. It sure would make things nice and easy
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Correction on the data on a RS 4.0. I must have had the wrong file loaded on the DL when I attempted to use it with the 4.0. The 4.0 will read the same as the 2011 GT3 RS listed above.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RPM via ODB2 finally - get your config right

Ok! Brain freeze is finally over! THANKS to all posters here and the resident pro's - Lola and Jerry

I've been struggling w the SOLO DL re data from my new ODB2 cable - thanks Jerry, made it all the way home from NYC this week - because I've been sticking to the instruction manual ie 996 GT3RS PDF from Aim site says Bosch > Porsche_911(996) ie the default

But while that worked to some degree I was missing RPM (key input IMO) so here are the keystrokes:
Race Studio 2 > device config > solo dl > config manager > clone (default) > rename it and change the ECU manufact to ODB_II and ECU model to ISO9141_2 > ok > plug in SOLO via USB > transmit and then download selected and goto analysis you'll (finally in my case) have a good selection of inputs like RPM (which wasn't coming thru on the BOSCH > ecu 996 config. Also maf etc...

Now for an early morning run to set what else is coming thru and to get the throttle and hopefully brake position calibrated correctly so when using dashware/GoPro I can have my metrics displayed properly ie full throttle showing as 100% etc... over the video. Will post later this week.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

2012 Ferrari 458 Italia, OBD-II connection, ECU-Ferrari, Model-458, 46 channels of engine and chassis dynamics goodness!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HiWind
Ok! Brain freeze is finally over! THANKS to all posters here and the resident pro's - Lola and Jerry

I've been struggling w the SOLO DL re data from my new ODB2 cable - thanks Jerry, made it all the way home from NYC this week - because I've been sticking to the instruction manual ie 996 GT3RS PDF from Aim site says Bosch > Porsche_911(996) ie the default

But while that worked to some degree I was missing RPM (key input IMO) so here are the keystrokes:
Race Studio 2 > device config > solo dl > config manager > clone (default) > rename it and change the ECU manufact to ODB_II and ECU model to ISO9141_2 > ok > plug in SOLO via USB > transmit and then download selected and goto analysis you'll (finally in my case) have a good selection of inputs like RPM (which wasn't coming thru on the BOSCH > ecu 996 config. Also maf etc...

Now for an early morning run to set what else is coming thru and to get the throttle and hopefully brake position calibrated correctly so when using dashware/GoPro I can have my metrics displayed properly ie full throttle showing as 100% etc... over the video. Will post later this week.
Are you now plugged into the OBD-II port instead of the twisted-pair CAN connection at the ECU or near the cluster?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
HiWind
Race Car

^ hi Pete, odb2 port under dash. Ecu connection fried my instrument cluster somehow if you remember, so decided 1 lesson was enough once I finally got it fixed (ex radio which is still in protect mode). Why you ask?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

^ hi Pete, odb2 port under dash. Why you ask?
because I've successfully pulled CAN data from pins 36 and 37 (IIRC) in a 996 GT3 for Racelogic's VVBOX and hadn't been able to get anything from the OBD-II for that system. I have gotten TPS and RPM from a 987 from an OBD-II connection for a Race-Keeper.

Still think it was not the Solo that fried it...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Possible as I wasn't able to find any others who had the problem so it could have been the fluster was already clucked.

But glad to say with ODB2 cable I'm quite happy with what odb2 is giving me atho I'm not sure I'm getting throttle/brake yet as names are different. Is PPS throttle? Is the GPS lateral acc etc.. sufficient for me to work out where I was braking or accelerating anyways? I think RPM is the key and I have that now. A bit of work to re-setup my screens etc.. but am finding it easiest once I overlay as you suggested with Dashware - might just be easier to visualize and remember for a beginner like me. Even getting MAF - do you use that?

Apologies for all the questions!! New data means new questions

Last edited by HiWind; 03-21-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

PPS is pedal position sensor. Usually is an accelerator pedal position reference for "fly by wire" electronic throttle systems OR it can be brake pedal "on-off," binary position (have not run into a variable brake pedal position in any car as an OEM sensor).

TPS is the actual throttle position at the butterfly valve and I have seen a differential (sometimes quite significant) in timing and or amplitude of actual throttle position and the pedal position, depending on the interference of the "nanny" or stability controls, depending on the car.

While calculated GPS lat and long acceleration is adequate for comparison purposes, actual accelerometer readings (after calibration when the Solo DL is in final resting position) are better and finer in resolution and timing. I also up the stock sample rates to a minimum of 20Hz. RPM is always good! Only my engine tuner is interested in MAF.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks - you've given me some great insight in that short burst. I just went out for a run so I should have a good set of data to check out my config is good.

Re calibration, should I calibrate when SOLO is in the car on its RAM mount (which I love by the way)?

Re HZ - I drop the non-essentials - water temp etc... to 1 HZ and the others ie RPM, Speed are at 10 HZ thinking that might drop the load on the SOLO and increase batt life/accuracy for high freq data. I'm just guessing tho. (It didn't look like there was an option to increase the frequency above 10; Am I missing it or is the SOLO DL w ODB2 limited to 10?) - Found it! so 20hz is enough - goes to 100hz.

So this is what I'm getting from 996RS via ODBII on SOLO DL:
beside the usual GPS derived Long/Lat vert acc
RPM, Speed, ECT, TPS (Throttle), IAT, MAP, MAF, FUEL level, PPS (brake? will check)

Last edited by HiWind; 03-21-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: found it
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Re calibration, should I calibrate when SOLO is in the car on its RAM mount (which I love by the way)?

Re HZ - I drop the non-essentials - water temp etc... to 1 HZ and <snip> so 20hz is enough - goes to 100hz.

So this is what I'm getting from 996RS via ODBII on SOLO DL:
beside the usual GPS derived Long/Lat vert acc
RPM, Speed, ECT, TPS (Throttle), IAT, MAP, MAF, FUEL level, PPS (brake? will check)
Yes, mount the Solo in the RAM mount, tighten everything up so it won't move and connect the USB cable. "Auto calibrate" then transmit to the Solo DL.

Sampling rate depends on the protocol used. You won't tax it or run out of logging room even if you crank it up. I use at least 20 Hz for speed, RPM and g loads, possibly TPS, low rates on everything else (engine coolant temp or ECT, intake air temperature or IAT, fuel, battery, etc.)

There is nothing that the Solo DL logs through the OBD-II that would require 100 Hz, IMO.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Great - super, thanks again Pete!

Quick Reply: AiM Solo DL Protocol list